Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cisco Voice Engineer - Relocating from US to Ireland

Options
  • 15-05-2013 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

I wanted to know if Ireland is hiring overseas workers (from US and I am a US Citizen but no one in my bloodline is from Ireland :( .

I am an experienced professional in Cisco Voice / Unified Communications technology and currently working with large enterprise in the USA.

However the love of the land is making me think to move to Ireland, but given the information from media I am not sure if Ireland is hiring people from USA.

Has anyone got Green Card (Irish GC and not the US Green Card) in Technology / IT sector? Are they hiring in IT?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It was recently announced that they were increasing the visas for temporary workers in IT so you have a good chance of getting a visa that way. Being American you also have a good chance of getting a full visa as part of the agreement with the US.

They are hiring in IT in fact there is a huge shortage of experienced people. A fair amount of coms/network development goes on here so you find it is easy enough to find a job and sponsor.

http://www.flukenetworks.com/

They operate out of a Dublin suburb but it is a very nice area and close enough to the city centre too.

I'd look through LinkedIn for jobs as that seems to be the best way these days but there are plenty of recruitment sites too

The big guys have EU headquarters here too like Google, ebay, Facebook etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 wilsonsamuel

Thank you Ray Palmer,

Thank you for the encouraging post.

Yes, I have heard that they changed the policies to make it easier for the "High Skilled" workers, and I do see opportunities in my field and I would love to live out of Dublin (although my most favorite city is Cork). I have been sending my Resume through monster.ie and irishjobs.ie and I feel Ireland is having a shortage of skilled people in my field.

Yet the disappointing news comes when the recruiter tells me that (so far only one) though the govt says they are opening more Visas via the Green Card, yet they are not issuing Green Cards (may be because of some bureaucracy I guess) for foreigners, although it didnt make sense.

Anyway, I shall keep my search on and will pursue higher level of Certification (CCIE-Voice) may be that will do some help :)

Mean while, just wondering if anyone in the field of IT moved from the US to Ireland and got a Green Card (Irish Green Card of course)

Regards

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Cisco have a large office in Galway (very much a large town not a city) out West (2 hours by car from Dublin)

Quite a nice building too

Thanks helimachoptor,

I am not sure if Cisco is hiring in Galway today, however thanks for the tip, I shall keep looking.

Regards

Anyone else had any luck getting Irish Green Card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

Anyone else had any luck getting Irish Green Card?
    There is no point in worrying about the permission to work side of things until you have actually received a firm job offer. That's the difficult part.

Once you satisfy the Highly Skilled Eligibilty List eligibility criteria, & have received a job offer the HR dept of the company either make the application, assist you in doing so, or instruct you how to.

The majority of companies who would be hiring in these categories are experienced in the procedure. It sounds as if the one company that got back to you are not, so are possibly confusing matters. Obviously, no-one wants to go to the extra bother or expense, but at the end of the day if there is a skills shortage, or for some reason they can't find a suitable EU applicant (simply for geographical/logistical reasons as you wouldn't be subject to a Labour Market Test) or you are more suitable/desirable they won't hesitate to facilitate you.

So for the moment you should concentrate more on networking within your field of expertise, watching out for vacancies, contacting relevant employers & submitting CVs, all of which you seem to have been doing, so hopefully it will just be a matter of time before you are successful.

• Advertisement

Thanks Cushie Butterfield,

You have described it in the best possible way.. the companies I have had seen posting the adverts have been reposting the same adverts for a long time, so I believer there is a shortage of labor in the field, its just probably a matter of time, after all Europe is still bit behind US in terms of recovery.

One more interesting thing is that my wife is a Nurse, and we both have worked in Ireland before, and despite all the efforts by Department of Enterprise and Innovation, most hiring people ask one question, "Are you in Ireland and authorized to work in Ireland" and anything less than Yes, makes them bit bitter or rude, if I dare to say, no one has so far answered me, despite all the efforts of DEI they are not even considering an Interview (and both of our skillsets are in the HSEL) forget about job offer..

Hopefully, we will get some nice employer who will hire us :-)

Advertisement