Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We're the noisy neighbours.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Gatling wrote: »
    Wooden floors are standard in the majority of apartment's built in the last 20 years , I've yet to see an apartment on any floors above ground level that didn't come with laminated floors as standard ,

Why is it always deemed the tenant seeking advice is always in the wrong on this forum ,

Absolutely not the case. Our leases strictly prohibit them and that applies to our cluster and 10 others...close to 1,500 apartments. I have friends who live in other developments and none of the them have wooden floors despite being upper apartments. It's common sense where not lease-banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

athtrasna wrote: »
    Absolutely not the case. Our leases strictly prohibit them and that applies to our cluster and 10 others...close to 1,500 apartments. I have friends who live in other developments and none of the them have wooden floors despite being upper apartments. It's common sense where not lease-banned.

Like I said earlier - perfect storm of sensitive neigbour and bad building standards.

Can I ask the OP - is the floor construction suspended timber or concrete?

The latter won't keep out ALL noise (I was woken once due to moving/scraping furniture on floor above for example:rolleyes:) but unless brother is being particularly unthoughtful it shouldn't cause the issues described.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

pburns wrote: »
    Like I said earlier - perfect storm of sensitive neigbour and bad building standards.

Can I ask the OP - is the floor construction suspended timber or concrete?

The latter won't keep out ALL noise (I was woken once due to moving/scraping furniture on floor above for example:rolleyes:) but unless brother is being particularly unthoughtful it shouldn't cause the issues described.

Im not saying it isnt, but it hardly seems likely its a suspended timber floor??? surely
    I know someone told me (long before I ever heard of Priory hall) that apartments had to be completely isolated from each other and had to be seperated by concrete flooring/ceiling, they seemed to suggest usually pre cast and put in place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

If you're sharing a building with strangers, earplugs aren't that crazy an idea. How much is the rug? Then, should it have been provided by the landlord?

lol...avid user of earplugs since 2001....use them all the time, cuts out alot of the sound save for dogs, something about dogs barking that dont work :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Merch wrote: »
    Im not saying it isnt, but it hardly seems likely its a suspended timber floor??? surely
    I know someone told me (long before I ever heard of Priory hall) that apartments had to be completely isolated from each other and had to be seperated by concrete flooring/ceiling, they seemed to suggest usually pre cast and put in place.

What's supposed to be in place by law and what the builders built are totally different. Which is why Priory Hall, and who knows how many others, have their current issue. I heard recently that the fire brigade have changed their policy for dealing with fires in apartment blocks, it used to be keep everyone in their apartment due to the risk of walking through smoke now it's complete evacuation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

I'm not quite sure if it is a suspended timber floor or concrete. I'd be surprised if it was concrete considering how audible the noise is in both directions.

dango wrote: »
    I'm not quite sure if it is a suspended timber floor or concrete. I'd be surprised if it was concrete considering how audible the noise is in both directions.

IS this a small block/complex?

Suspended wooden flooring, I have been told is not allowed (I dont know myself) in apartment blocks, I was told this in the late 90's/early 00's

Reason I was given, fire cant spread from one apartment to another easily.

From what I understand, this isnt even the issue in Priory Hall, I understood (but havent looked in detail, just a cursory look at was mentioned in a few papers) was that there are some spaces that are used for access of utility services/components between floor that meant fire could spread.

If it was wooden flooring (which I doubt) then I would imagine noises from above would be a thudding, dulled but probably still audible
    If it was concrete, it would be a harder noise, if that makes sense.

Anyway, Id suggest bringing it up with the landlord, see if they will underlay and carpet the floor either throughout or bit by bit starting in the most affected parts, excluding kitchen/bathroom. Possibly speak to the other person and say you will try get the landlord to do that, if they do, it saves you moving, if they dont then you can always move if you want.
    The neighbour gets to see you are trying to do something, besides the landlord cant fix a problem they are unaware of.
    Everyone may be happier??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

He should make some time, looks like he's not aware of his obligations
    Sounds like the LL doesn't give a damn. I've seen lots of apartments sold during the boom that had wooden floors. To take up the wooden floors and put down carpet would probably be expensive, and probably the reason why the landlord hasn't done anything about it.

Tell her to contact the landlord regarding any sound issues if you meet her during the day. I'm for this hardline approach due to;
    but the way she has acted (screaming down the phone about noise, hanging up on me when I was trying to talk to her about it and calling me a b*stard) doesn't endear me to her. She regularly bangs on the roof and rings the home phone in the middle of the night.
    If it was a nice neighbour, I'd probably say to ask your LL about the carpets, but if she wants to act like an auld wagon, treat her like one, and ignore her.

Oh, and get an answering phone which has a tape in it. Record all her threats, bring them down to the local Gardaí station, and get them to block her number from ringing you, and/or file a harassment complaint against her.

I never thought of this, but how long have you been in the apartment?
    How old is the building, if you knew this other person prior to things went sour between you, any ideas how long she was there?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You need to talk to the landlord.
    Apartments are on long leases to owners- specifying the rules governing what is allowed and what is not. Noise levels and appliances that can be used at night- are normally specified, as are floor types. It could well be that the landlord is ignoring this- and why not, if he/she has never been pulled up on it- but it doesn't mean they have the right to continue with wooden floors.

For those who think wooden floors are normal- I can show you a 10 leases belonging to family members from around the country- which spell out in no uncertain terms, that they are not allowed. Personally- I have terracotta tiles- also against my lease, never have had any dispute over them, hope never to have.

There will be rules governing these things- normally in the owner's lease- this needs to be clarified with the owner asap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

the_syco wrote: »
    To take up the wooden floors and put down carpet would probably be expensive, and probably the reason why the landlord hasn't done anything about it.

You would probably carpet over the wood, rather than take it up. I remember the joy of pulling up a carpet in a place and finding a fantastic parquet floor.

If it was a nice neighbour, I'd probably say to ask your LL about the carpets, but if she wants to act like an auld wagon, treat her like one, and ignore her.

While I dont agree with the person ringing in the middle of the night, its quite possible they have been putting up with noise in the middle of the night, for longer than the OP has even been present, its possible they feel justified in returning the favour, not that I agree with it. They neighbour might be unaware they could take the OP and his landlord to the PRTB, they should make a record of all noise events. Im not saying the OP isnt telling the truth, but its possible they have toned down the problem thats occuring or they are unaware of it or how bad it is for the person beneath them. I think the latter is quite possible, given they had to be asked not to run washing appliances at night.
    If the neighbour has been putting up with this for a long time and has to go through the whole thing each time a new tenant takes up residence, then I can understand their annoyance.

The neighbour should ask once, if the problems are not resolved, Id give it another few goes, but after that, they are wasting their own time and a formal approach is needed making a complaint against the landlord and/or tenants. If the tenants feel they have tried to resolve the situation by not turning on washing machines etc but are unhappy about being asked not to walk around in the apartment at odd hours even if it affects the other persons sleep, then I suggest there is more noise than they are aware as a consequence of their actions or its being played down.
    The thing is, the neighbour is entitled to enjoy their property in peace.
    The tenant and landlord have obligations under the tenancy act whether they know or care.

If the neighbour has flipped out about it, even if I dont think it is right for them to do, that person is entitled to a bit of kip and telling them to stuff ear plugs in their ears doesnt cut it.

Id suggest the neighbour keeps a record and brings it to the attention of the PRTB.

If the OP hasn't received a PRTB number in the post, then it seems they are not registered by their landlord. If thats the case it'd be no wonder to me that they dont want to deal with problems or be identified.

Sorry for the delay. So things have recently gotten worse. She has screamed at me every time I've left the apartment for the last few days. She has given out about me putting on the washing machine during the day (2pm) and she rang the home phone 24 times yesterday (once at 6am and 23 times between 17.40 and 17.56). Thankfully I've just acquired a home phone that can bar numbers so I'm not going to worry about that any more.
    I got a call from the landlord today as she had finally contacted him. After a lengthy conversation where we went through the details of what has transpired, he said he'd get back onto her to address the issue but he wasn't going to promise her anything. This is mainly due to the floors being concrete underneath (his words) and that the noise levels haven't changed much over the course of the last few months.
    I'm going to bow out of the thread now as although I appreciate all the feedback, I think this has pretty much run its course. If anything particularly eventful happens I'll report back. Thanks again to everyone involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Sorry for the delay. So things have recently gotten worse. She has screamed at me every time I've left the apartment for the last few days. She has given out about me putting on the washing machine during the day (2pm) and she rang the home phone 24 times yesterday (once at 6am and 23 times between 17.40 and 17.56). Thankfully I've just acquired a home phone that can bar numbers so I'm not going to worry about that any more.
    I got a call from the landlord today as she had finally contacted him. After a lengthy conversation where we went through the details of what has transpired, he said he'd get back onto her to address the issue but he wasn't going to promise her anything. This is mainly due to the floors being concrete underneath (his words) and that the noise levels haven't changed much over the course of the last few months.
    I'm going to bow out of the thread now as although I appreciate all the feedback, I think this has pretty much run its course. If anything particularly eventful happens I'll report back. Thanks again to everyone involved.

to be honest, she sounds like shes not well, that level of phonecalls is harassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sorry for the delay. So things have recently gotten worse. She has screamed at me every time I've left the apartment for the last few days. She has given out about me putting on the washing machine during the day (2pm) and she rang the home phone 24 times yesterday (once at 6am and 23 times between 17.40 and 17.56).
    Report this to the Gardaí, in case she doesn't like getting ignored, and starts to get in your face; best for the Gardaí to have a record of the harassment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Report this to the Gardaí, in case she doesn't like getting ignored, and starts to get in your face; best for the Gardaí to have a record of the harassment!

Agree with ^^^ but even if there is no call to the Gardai, Eircom (or whatever provider) will be able to supply the logs of the calls into the number. You really shouldn't have to put up with hell like that, especially as it's not you that's causing the problem. Have you thought about hobbling your brother? Know it's not a real solution but would at least give herself downstairs a bit of peace lol

Assuming this is all true, then she can only make her case against noise difficult, but I would not think impossible.
    Maybe she could claim tenants drove her insane? if its as bad as she says, then its not impossible to lose the rag, especially if she has been putting up with this for years and prior to your arrival too.
    If I was her, Id be still going to the PRTB, landlord wont do anythinbg for her, as you havent answered a question I asked regarding whether you got a PRTB registration, can only assume you dont have one or know what it looks like, so sounds like your LAndlord is not legit/paying tax.
    I'd be hanging that guy out to dry if I was her.

If she has gone about things the way you say, then its not the right way, but your landlord sounds like a tool, he wont do anything about a problem he doesnt have to put up with.

I'm not even sure how you gave out a private landline number???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Assuming this is all true, then she can only make her case against noise difficult, but I would not think impossible.
    Maybe she could claim tenants drove her insane? if its as bad as she says, then its not impossible to lose the rag, especially if she has been putting up with this for years and prior to your arrival too.
    If I was her, Id be still going to the PRTB, landlord wont do anythinbg for her, as you havent answered a question I asked regarding whether you got a PRTB registration, can only assume you dont have one or know what it looks like, so sounds like your LAndlord is not legit/paying tax.

If she has gone about things the way you say, then its not the right way, but your landlord sounds like a tool, he wont do anything about a problem he doesnt have to put up with.

In my last two places I have not received the letter yet my tenancy was registered. Only way to find out 100% is to ring the PRTB up.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭comanche_cor

to be honest, she sounds like shes not well, that level of phonecalls is harassment.

I would agree with this - is there a relative you could talk to? Could it be possible that she is suffering from dementia?

Yeah I wish it wasn't true, I've no reason to lie here.
    The landlord said when he lived in the apartment before us, he used to keep unsociable hours coming in from work in the early hours of the morning and there wasn't a problem.
    I wasn't sure about the PRTB registration so I checked the database and while next door is listed ours isn't. Not sure what to make of that or how it affects me as the tenant.
    We gave her our phone number, this was when we got along if she needed anything or there was an emergency.

• Advertisement
Advertisement