Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross referencing the Census

• 15-05-2013 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭

Is there a way ( like a spreadsheet) to cross reference the census?
    For example: If I know someones name and their parents names but not an exact address etc. Would there be programme where I could enter all the names and have the census searched automatically?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

No, not without doing it yourself (downloading the results and parsing them into Excel) but the time it would take you to do that could be a lot longer than just searching manually.

How many results do you get for these people's names ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

Great grandfather was John Byrne. His father was William and mother was Margaret. I have many names to check...

When John married in 1915(the priest I emailed said that) his family lived on James's Walk which I can't find in the census, may have not been built yet.

Do you have an approx. age for John ?

He was born in 1892/1893.

I just found a family living on City Quay. But John is a couple of years too young. Although I know ages can be wrong on the census so maybe it is them?

• Advertisement

A 'couple of years' out is more than close enough if you think that the rest of the information matches up correctly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Dont trust the census every time nearly I have found issues with age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

He's a bit young to have much of an incorrect age. Anyone with an actual age of about 50 might well be recorded on the 1911 census as 65+, hoping to get some state pension!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I found a relative claiming to be 28 when they were 24, it appears they'd entered the railways significantly underage. Rose through the ranks which meant the charade had to be kept up too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

I disagree I find young ones all the time saying theyre 15 when theyre 9 or saying theyre 23 when they are 29. I dont understand how anyone could do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Birth dates were not as important then as they are now so I suppose no-one took note of the dates and then forgot over time, when asked, they made it up unless they needed to be older i.e. for pension, that's when they may have just fibbed. I have to say though that so far on my tree all the dates I have are correct comparing census forms and baptismal records and death records.

Well in my case, John died in 1958 aged 65, so that puts his birth around 1893. So I was searching the census for a John Byrne aged 18-19. I know both of his parents were alive when he married 4 years later, so was trying to search for families containing all 3 names if possible.
    Beyond that I was just searching for a birth cert. Although finding a definite John Byrne born in 1893 +/- 1 year is like a needle in a haystack ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭tanoralover

Great grandfather was John Byrne. His father was William and mother was Margaret. I have many names to check...

Do you know Margaret's maiden name?

The Margaret Byrne living on City Quay in 1901 and 1911 was Margaret Aspill. Her marriage record is here and the site also has a birth record for their son Laurence.

Do you know Margaret's maiden name?

The Margaret Byrne living on City Quay in 1901 and 1911 was Margaret Aspill. Her marriage record is here and the site also has a birth record for their son Laurence.

Yeah tanoralover I had found that record :) and I've been following that family back, I'd just like to be certain before I settle with it. See my father and his sisters were told my grandfathers family came from Woodenbridge but I'm starting to doubt it now.

Unfortunately on John's marriage record only the fathers surnames are noted. On the record I got from the GRO, the mothers name are not even down. Luckily the priest in Dolphins Barn was very helpful and was able to give me both mothers names

Is William's occupation listed on John's marriage certificate? The William Byrne living on City Quay is a coal labourer. Does that match?

William and John are both down as Labourers.

I'm inclined to believe that this may be my ancestor's family. They seem to have lived on City Quay for a generation or 2. If it's the correct family I'll be very happy. The Byrne branch of my family stopped after my grandfather for a long time but the rest were easy enough to trace.

The 1939/1940 Electoral List gives the following residents for 19 City Quay:
    Elizabeth Byrne, Elizabeth Byrne, Andrew Byrne, Peter Byrne, Lawrence Byrne, William Byrne, Aidan Kennedy, Elizabeth Byrne (Jun.), William Byrne (Jun.), Aidan Kennedy (Jun.), and Catherine Kennedy. The Kennedys were also living there in 1911.

Found these at irishnewsarchive.com

Found these at irishnewsarchive.com

Thats some great sleuthing

Are there electorial register for Dublin County on line?

Are there electorial register for Dublin County on line?

Yes, 1908 and 1939-1940.

• Advertisement
Advertisement