Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway -need some advice

Options
  • 15-05-2013 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi All,

this is my first time using boards and i am hoping to get some advice about moving to Galway city.
    Me and my partner are moving to Galway within the next two months.
    I would be grateful for some information on the best areas to rent a 2 bedroom house. It can either be in the city or the surrounding area just as long as the commute to the city isn't too far.
    I will be looking for employment in finance, preferably the accounts department of a company. are the employment agencies any good in Galway?

Thank you

Ailish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,421 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Realise that there is a recession and getting work may be difficult. It makes sense to live near where you are working.

Traffic in Galway can be appalling - too many people living on the west side of the city and working on the east side.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

For information on areas to live maybe it would be best to post this in Galway City forum as well as they would know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 peble

Not sure if your partner has a job already ..if none of you have and if you really want to work ,Galway to be honest is not the same , it is very difficult to find jobs ,if there are any they go internally first.
    Anyway regarding the areas Salthill ( you can walk to the city center depending on which part you are in),Knocknacarra are nice areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

I live in Salthill and i love it.

I work on the east side of town but i cycle so traffic doesn't matter to me but victor is right, you wouldn't want to be doing it in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Hi aailishm I'd disagree with previous posters here. There's plenty of work in Galway but it all depends what you're willing to do.
    My girlfriend moved here and had about 3 offers in her first 2 weeks. She was willing to work in Hotels/waitress etc and did have to do a lot of work to get her CV out there. But was worth it in the end.

If you're looking for Accounting work though there's not a great deal out there. http://www.jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categories=21&Regions=12&Keywords=
    is probably your best place to look.
    If you have languages there's plenty of support roles going in the IT companies.

And as for places to live..we'd need to know what age you guys are and budget that would help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

aailishm wrote: »
    Me and my partner are moving to Galway within the next two months.
    I would be grateful for some information on the best areas to rent a 2 bedroom house. It can either be in the city or the surrounding area just as long as the commute to the city isn't too far.

A lot will depend on where you & your partner are working. If it's on the east of the river, don't go west. It's a bit easier to get to the west from the east (not much though).

aailishm wrote: »
    I will be looking for employment in finance, preferably the accounts department of a company. are the employment agencies any good in Galway?

It'll do you no harm. Keep an eye the business section of the advertiser(online version available), the agencies usually have lists there.

If you're looking for Accounting work though there's not a great deal out there. http://www.jobs.ie/Jobs.aspx?Categories=21&Regions=12&Keywords=
    is probably your best place to look.
    WOW there are 6 jobs on offer ...thats a lot of choice .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is your partner employed? If so just try to look on www.daft.ie for area close to her/his work. There isn't any particular bad areas so just look anywhere close.

It's pretty imperative to be on the same side of the river as work, the river is a huge bottleneck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

Im from salthill & moved back to it wouldnt live anywhere else in the city. All parts of it are within walking distance of town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

galway is a small enough city that if you cycle it doesn't matter where you work or what side of the river you live on, most places are only 10-15 minutes away.

If you happen to to get work east of the river it would be a shame to limit yourself to living just that side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MaroonMafioso

Castlepark is a lovely spot. Full of nice friendly characters.

I will deffinatelly not suggest Castlepark for people that are moving here for better life lol

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭TheCoolWay

peble wrote: »
    I will deffinatelly not suggest Castlepark for people that are moving here for better life lol

They may be moving from Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

JillyQ wrote: »
    Im from salthill & moved back to it wouldnt live anywhere else in the city. All parts of it are within walking distance of town.

Most people I know in Galway would live in Salthill if given the choice.

Wouldn't fancy it myself, but I seem to be the exception in that regard.

Obviously, since the area is so popular, houses there command a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I think salthill is too expensive to rent... If we had better weather it would be worth it. Claddagh is my choice, close to town and the prom in salthill. For cheaper rent and still just a stroll into town shantalla is handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭asdfg!

I rented in Salthill for a while, five bedroom house for €900 a month. Literally just off the main street, five minutes walk from the prom.

Would move back in a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TadghsMuffins

Welcome to our glorious Galway ;) if you don't mind being a bit farther away, knocknacarra seems to have lots of 2-4 bed houses for rent at a relatively cheap price, and it's not too far from the city.

Advertisement