Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

energy bars and gel packs

Options
  • 15-05-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi - I have never taken gel packs, even for very long 100km plus cycles, but I reckon I will need the extra boost for the running stage on my first tri in Fingal on Sunday. I plan to try them out on a cycle on Friday (nothing too hectic mind!).

Can anyone recommend their favourite ones? And is taking it just the once before I take them during the race safe enough?

Thanks!
    Declan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

You don't need one in a sprint distance race. especially given this is a 15km cycle now. You simpley don't need the calories.

Secondly its far to close to a race to try something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Tunney speaks the truth

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭j0hn1

you won't need a gel, but if it's your first tri you might feel better / run faster if you have a placebo of some sort
    Don't bring an energy bar or anything solid like that, too much digesting
    I always found the SIS gels easy on the stomach, but can be very hard to find in your local shop
    Why not try a few jelly babies instead?
    Full of sugar and taste yummy
    Figure out how to carry them yourself :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Waylander79

You won't need one but if you really want you can take one 15 mins before the race so that it's in your system for the off, I wouldn't bother with any after that. The SIS are good and easy on the stomach, the bigger Tesco stores stock them. Squeezy are very good as well, very tasty and less crap in them and they're starting to become more widely available. They have energy jellies as well that are actually too tasty! Try your locak tri/bike store.

From my experience the Powerbar stuff will turn your insides upside down and make you want to puke, but that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Powerbar have a new isogel which is lighter on the tummy and is a resealable pack. Personally I love the GU gels and 2nd Surge but thats me, a coffee dependent individual :)

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I like viperactive and clif blocks, but not for sprint. Hi5 zero beforehand is all I would take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I have just switched to zipvit from PBar, 51g of carbs in those bad boys and they taste great.
    You really do not need any gels for what you are doing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

BTH wrote: »
    Tunney speaks the truth

Was that hard to admit;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭El Director

I have just switched to zipvit from PBar, 51g of carbs in those bad boys and they taste great.
    You really do not need any gels for what you are doing though.

Plus 1 for Zipvit gels and their multivit btw and their water bottles too btw :)

No need for gels though, well I guess that depends on how long you are out on the course but this has a shortened bike so definitely no need imo. The placebo effect I believe is something that works though too! I give Linda (better half) a gel just before her first race* (run) and she took it after 4k of an 8 and she swears it made her try harder and run faster :):cool: However now that we have mentioned it, it might ruin the placebo effect!

*very irresponsible of me to introduce new nutrition on the day of a day. Please do not try this at home

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭declanobrennan

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. I think I will go with the jellies for this one. Yummy!

Best of luck to anyone taking part on Sunday.

• Advertisement
Advertisement