Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this Ash Dieback?

• 15-05-2013 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

There's lots of good information in the "Ash Dieback Disease (Chalara fraxinea) in Ireland" thread, but to prevent that being filled with images, I thought it would be good to start a thread where people could post images of something they believe to be Ash Dieback. That would (a) allow people to confirm whether something they've seen is or isn't Dieback, and (b) act as a reference for others who think they might have found it.

I was travelling past a group of small (I believe) Ash trees today and spotted what appear to be symptoms of Ash Dieback (outlined here ) on two of the trees. Perhaps people could take a look at the attached photos and see what they think. I've attached a photo.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

Nope. Those are beech trees and one is either late blossoming or is dead.
    Fair play to you for keeping your eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ODonohue42

Thanks, that's good to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Ash is just starting to come into leaf now,
    from matt black buds

253958.jpg

into tiny bunches of purple flowers.

253961.png

and then the Leaves

253962.jpg
    253968.png

Have a close look at the above pictures to ID ash and then before panicing look closely at the pictures on the FC website for ash dirback symptoms: esp the diamond shaped lesion/canker where a dying/dead shoot is protruding from the main stem (young plant)

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/INFD-92AHUK

This is the picture, the necrosis can clearly be seen moving both up and down the stem. The dead/dying branch looks like it is about 2 years old, giving an indication of how quickly symptoms will be seen. the other symptom of wilt is easily confused with other diseases.

254219.jpg

Uk has just put up some new pictures of symptoms at the top of their web page:
    http://www.forestry.gov.uk/chalara

254796.jpg
    254797.jpg
    254798.jpg
    254799.jpg
    254800.jpg

254801.jpg
    254802.jpg
    254803.jpg
    254804.jpg

• Advertisement

Dead or dying tops of trees, most easily seen throughout summer

254805.jpg

Dieback in the tree crown could be for other reasons too.

Uk ID of ash trees where they point out difference between Ash and Rowan (mountain ash)

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/infd-8zsjbc

more photos of symptoms from Forestry and Energy review

255945.jpg
    255946.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Massey10

Does this look like ash die back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

It's from June/July to Sept that the foliage wilts with Chalara-I'd guess it's cold wind damage-very cool N and NW winds last few days.

Massey10 wrote: »
    Does this look like ash die back?

are there any other symptoms?
    Cut open the stick, both across and lengthways, around the wilt and see if it matches the pictures above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭Massey10

Oldtree wrote: »
    are there any other symptoms?
    Cut open the stick, both across and lengthways, around the wilt and see if it matches the pictures above.
    No other symptoms i just have never before seen leaves that seem to die like that on ash before .Il keep an eye on it .

Advertisement