Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin - good neighborhoods?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hello. I'm moving to Dublin and I was wondering what's the fuss about the north side of the city. It's quite cheaper, so I really need a good reason to avoid it. :D

Any recommendations? Heard nice things about Rathmines and Rathgar, but I'm looking for something cheaper.

Let's just conclude I'm totally clueless, foreign, and need your help.

Thx. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Dubs won't answer this question for you. It seems to be something they wont' talk about...

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭Marsden

Could you narrow it down, is there anywhere in particular you were looking at ion the Northside?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Rathgar is very nice, bit more expensive and more mature than Rathmines. Rathmines is closer to town, good atmosphere in the place and plenty to do (even has its own cinema!!!)
    Depends on what you're looking for, work, study etc but Rathmines would be ok

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Yellowblackbird

That's a very general question.

So the best answer is to avoid any extreme.

A good middle of the road location would be Drumcondra. Lot of rental accomadation. Prices will be on the reasonable end of the scale. On good rail and bus routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

culchie living in Drumcondra. Dont have a bad word to say about the place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Care to provide a bit more information such as...
    Renting or buying
    Budget
    Services that you may require in your immediate locality
    Preferable commuting distance to work/college/city center/other
    Things that would turn you off a particular area
    Anything else you consider relevant...

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

Well, a calmer place not too close to city center, but not at the edge of the city either. Say max. 30 min. of walking distance, with green areas, parks, stuff like that. I'm looking to rent. Budget's not great, at the moment around 400, 500 Euros/month. Nothing too big, a studio apartment, or a smaller apartment, for a couple.
    :)

A turnoff would definitely be noise, crowd, the way centers usually are. Looking for something a bit warmer, quieter, with a nice sense of community around. Maybe I ask for too much, poor budget considered. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭CiaranMcDCFC

Clontarf / Raheny is what you are looking for. On the DART, beside all amenities and relatively reasonable on the rental front.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭TTWNF

dont forget Harold's Cross!

Advertisement