Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money on the side ideas

Options
  • 15-05-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi everyone,
    Not really sure if this is the correct place feel free to move it if you wish. :)
    Basically my situation is that i'm currently finished my first year studying primary teaching in college. For the last few summers I have worked in a bar for the holidays about five days a week with the weekends off which i'll admit is pretty handy. However this summer I'm fixed up for at least two days bar work and then I have the option of working 5 other days as well. Seems great!

My problem is that the money isn't great and the work is tough going (even though I dont mind hard work). I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how a young lad like me, 18 years old could make some handier money over the summer and indeed during the college year.

All ideas considered (except grinds :()

Looking forward to some interesting responses ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Pet sit. People hate leaving their dogs in kennels while they go on holidays - I know ours will never go to one again. But sometimes relatives or friends aren't available so the alternative is you look after it in your home.
    It's not money for nothing. You are responsible for someone's precious pouch and dogs love running out the front door!!!! And dogs are messy creatures - hair everywhere and not always house-trained. Plus you'll have to walk it everyday. But it's good money. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

T.V extra...contact RTE.

Deliver fast food if you own a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PMurph048

Pet sit. People hate leaving their dogs in kennels while they go on holidays - I know ours will never go to one again. But sometimes relatives or friends aren't available so the alternative is you look after it in your home.
    It's not money for nothing. You are responsible for someone's precious pouch and dogs love running out the front door!!!! And dogs are messy creatures - hair everywhere and not always house-trained. Plus you'll have to walk it everyday. But it's good money. ;)

Good idea, never even considered this, Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 PMurph048

Piriz wrote: »
    T.V extra...contact RTE.

Deliver fast food if you own a car.

Dont have a car unfortunately.... a TV extra though, thats an interesting one :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

PMurph048 wrote: »
    a TV extra though, thats an interesting one :cool:

If you want to go that route, MovieExtras.ie is the place to go. However:

There's a join fee of €80+
    Absolutely, positively no guaranteeing of work.

BUT, if you get a good gig, you can earn €1000's. Those types of opportunities are few and far between however. I was a member for 2 years, and probably made my subscription back plus a little extra. I was offered Game of Thrones for 6 weeks and 'What Richard Did' for 3 weeks but couldn't take them at the time. Its more 'fun' that a serious earner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 robertdoyle

Why would you not be interested in grinds? With exam season creeping up you could probably make a couple of hundred euros quite easily. If you are training to be a teacher, you should try working at some summer camps. It is fun and looks great on your CV.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ironclaw wrote: »
    If you want to go that route, MovieExtras.ie is the place to go. However:

There's a join fee of €80+
    Absolutely, positively no guaranteeing of work.

BUT, if you get a good gig, you can earn €1000's. Those types of opportunities are few and far between however. I was a member for 2 years, and probably made my subscription back plus a little extra. I was offered Game of Thrones for 6 weeks and 'What Richard Did' for 3 weeks but couldn't take them at the time. Its more 'fun' that a serious earner.

I've often seen them advertising on job sites, but honestly thought there was a bit of a scam going on. Nice to see there could be potential there...

Advertisement