Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths for leaving cert?

• 15-05-2013 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Im in TY now and i just chose my leavi g cert subjects. I chose chemistry, biology, history, french and then if course english, irish and maths. Im wondering if i should take applied maths as an eight subject. I got an a in the JC in maths but im by no means amazing at it. Would applied maths be a good extra subject or is it just too hard and too much work?? I need to get over 500 points in the leaving cert which with alot of work i hope will be achievable.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Applied Maths isn't extremely hard, it's a subject that requires a lot of thinking, how to start it, what your looking for etc. But with practice, it becomes easier, like most things. If you got an A in the junior, then you probably are capable of doing it. If your not sure, maybe you could take it on for a year and decide at the ende of fifth year whether or not you want to continue doing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Student007

it requires a lot of practice. if you are really good in higher level maths and physics, it shouldnt be too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Aoibhean

Thanks for that,, is the course very long or will there be plenty of revision time?? Also is there much of an overlap between honours maths and applied maths??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭cfc.forever

Goodluck doing the eight subjects but wouldn't you be better off doing the mandatory six, rather than having too extra subjects stress you out. If this is what you want to do though and got an A in JC Maths, go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

Aoibhean wrote: »
    Thanks for that,, is the course very long or will there be plenty of revision time?? Also is there much of an overlap between honours maths and applied maths??

It involves a lot of algebra and a lot of trigonometry (the parts we've covered so far at least) but its really not too difficult when you start to get the hang of it. The questions are quite repetitive so they become fairly easy with some practice.

We're only doing one class a week at the moment and next year just the two so its a short enough course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Aoibhean

Yeah im not too sure about the eight myself,, in my school we jave to do ay least seven subjects so its really just one extra buf i am worried about the workload

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Daniel2590

I'm doing eight subjects and it's not an awful lot of work :)

It's not too much of an extra work-load, last year for Leaving Cert. I did 8 subjects

• Registered Users Posts: 14 wow30303

is there an applied maths textbook that teaches you how to do the questions rather than give worked examples and solutions like the fundamental blue applied maths book? like is there only one applied maths author out there or is there other applied maths books for lc that you can get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭bren2001

wow30303 wrote: »
    is there an applied maths textbook that teaches you how to do the questions rather than give worked examples and solutions like the fundamental blue applied maths book? like is there only one applied maths author out there or is there other applied maths books for lc that you can get?

http://www.easonschoolbooks.com/product/Leaving-Certificate/Maths/Fundamental-Applied-Maths

http://www.easonschoolbooks.com/product/Leaving-Certificate/Maths/Fundamental-Applied-Maths-2Ed

Oliver Murphys books are by far the most commonly used (I used the older brown one, Im presuming the new blue one is better). Infact I still reference his stuff.

• Advertisement

thanks for the reply but im looking for lc applied maths textbooks other than those by Oliver Murphy, if there is any at all! reason being doing applied maths extra for lc and getting grinds from mum and she just wants to see notes or books or something that can help her in teaching me :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

thanks for the reply but im looking for lc applied maths textbooks other than those by Oliver Murphy, if there is any at all! reason being doing applied maths extra for lc and getting grinds from mum and she just wants to see notes or books or something that can help her in teaching me :)

There are one or two other books out there.

One is written by Kevin Conliffe and the other by Dominick Donnelly. I think the latter went out of print. I haven't used either of them but Murphy's books have always been the most popular among teachers and students. There really isn't a market for too many books for an exam sat by ~1,400 students a year, granted a lot more students will have dropped out. You could try to buy notes off students who went to schools like the Institute and such, I don't know what they're like but they seem to be popular.

I'm teaching myself with no grinds at the moment and I'm using Murphy's book. Even though it's not a "teach you how to do the questions" book, essentially that's what it does with worked examples and questions.

There are also solutions available for the entire book but you need to be able to access folensonline to get them. If your mother is a teacher then another teacher in her school might have access to the book on folensonline, if they teach it in the school. I have the files downloaded so if you need them I can send them to you.

thanks very my much nimrod 7, my mum doesn't teach at a school so she doesn't have access to folensonline, do the files contain teaching material or just solutions? would be very grateful if you can send them, i'll give u my email if u want

thanks very my much nimrod 7, my mum doesn't teach at a school so she doesn't have access to folensonline, do the files contain teaching material or just solutions? would be very grateful if you can send them, i'll give u my email if u want

Solutions to all the questions in the book.

Yeah pm me your e-mail and I'll send them to you.

Edit:
    I do have some material from PDST and such too, never really found them too useful, it was all in the book. I'll have to share them on Dropbox, the whole thing is like 450MB.

sure thing nimrod7, my email is [email]<snip>[/email], send everything u have, once again thank u :)

Always safer to use PM for emails! ;)

- R

sure thing nimrod7, my email is [email]<snip>[/email], send everything u have, once again thank u :)

Could you confirm if you got them?

If you did, save them to your computer as I might take them down later if I run out of space.

try website for solutions and that, its pretty good http://moodle.cbskilkenny.ie/course/view.php?id=12
    if it asks you to sign in, just do so with the guest account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 146 ✭✭BIGGIEsmall

Hi there Nimrod 7,

Was just wondering if you could maybe pm me the notes aswell by any chance?

Thanks

Hi there Nimrod 7,

Was just wondering if you could maybe pm me the notes aswell by any chance?

Thanks

They're 400MB in size, I'd have to share them on Dropbox so PM me your email.

If anybody else needs them, do the same.

yeah thanks nimrod 7 got them downloading, ur a lifesaver

• Advertisement
Advertisement