Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you plan on buying your teams new jersey?

• 15-05-2013 5:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

So what do people think about buying their teams new jerseys every season? Will you just buy the home shirt, or home & away & goalie & training shirt?!

If you do why?

I think the average cost of a new shirt in a sports store is around 60Eur, pretty expensive.

I support Chelsea, and don't buy the new jerseys every year. Maybe if I supported a smaller club I'd be more inclined to support them financially, but I really don't feel like I need to, given Chelsea's financial situation. A few match tickets here and there are enough for me, coupled with my jersey from the 2006 season!

What do the rest of you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

No not a big jersey wearer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Pj! wrote: »
    No not a big jersey wearer.

Take it your a size small so:pac:

Think I'll order one from China or Thailand,€15 instead of €60 is ok considering it'll only be worn a few times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

zerks wrote: »
    Take it your a size small so:pac:

Think I'll order one from China or Thailand,€15 instead of €60 is ok considering it'll only be worn a few times.
    Should you not be supporting your club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,404 ✭✭✭xtal191

Isnt it the manufacturer (Nike, Adidas etc) that get the money from shirt sales and not the club??

xtal191 wrote: »
    Isnt it the manufacturer (Nike, Adidas etc) that get the money from shirt sales and not the club??
    The manufacturer do get money from shirt sales, but clubs have club shops for a reason, and it isn't to make Nike and Adidas more successful.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

I buy them (usually home and away, but sometimes keeper too) at the end of the season when they're under a tenner. I rarely wear them, but I like to keep my collection going

CSF wrote: »

I'll put the €45 I save towards a trip to Old Trafford.

I'll put the €45 I save towards a trip to Old Trafford.
    How noble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

The manufacturer do get money from shirt sales, but clubs have club shops for a reason, and it isn't to make Nike and Adidas more successful.

Yeah, there's a huge difference between money going to the club from official club shop sales (£15 per jersey) and third party sales (£2 per jersey). Obviously buying counterfeits mean £0 per jersey for the club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If Mick ever gets around to sorting out the new club sponsor, I'll buy the jersey that will follow on from that.

So, to answer your question, I won't be buying a Youths jersey this year :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I only buy them every six years or so.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I bought one last summer on the day RVP was announced as signed.

I'd likely do similar again if we got someone like Ronaldo.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

I'm a Chelsea fan, and usually get the jersey at xmas from a relative. I buy a Finn Harps jersey most seasons to support my local team. A lot of it comes down to personal preference really. But I also have most of the Napoli jerseys for the past 6 years or so. I just get what I feel like(or can afford) I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Only buy one jersey a year.

I got Cork red jersey for 20 quid few weeks ago.

Bit old to be buying more if old to be buying one in first place.

More of a souvenir guy myself, collecting program's, tickets, scarfs from games been to.

Only buy one jersey a year.

I got Cork red jersey for 20 quid few weeks ago.

Bit old to be buying more if old to be buying one in first place.

More of a souvenir guy myself, collecting program's, tickets, scarfs from games been to.
    I'm a scarf collector aswell, have a scarf of most of the grounds around Europe I've been to.

How noble.

The club will make more money from a ticket than a small percentage of a shirt sale.I used to buy a new jersey every season,sometimes 2 if the away one was decent.I've a good collection from down through the years.

Re: scarves,if anyone here posts that they buy half & half scarves they should be banned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

I bought the Hull away jersey there about a week ago because they were on sale (might still be available, although may just be massive sizes left for the more rotund gentlemen) - http://www.tigerleisure.com/1_Replica-Kit-SALE/

I have no affliation to Hull and i know sweet fúck all about them other than they had Brady, MCSHANE, Quinn and Meyler playing for them. I'll be supporting them through thick and thin in the BPL next year though :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

I try to get to the Emirates for the first home game of the season and if we've a new home jersey I'll buy it there in the club shop before the game. It's part of the occasion for me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Re: scarves,if anyone here posts that they buy half & half scarves they should be banned.

Don't see the problem if you're a neutral at a cup final or something.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Would normally buy the new Liverpool home jersey but as Warrior are scrapping the 2 year rule, il forfeit buying it this year out of principle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

jive wrote: »
    I bought the Hull away jersey there about a week ago because they were on sale (might still be available, although may just be massive sizes left for the more rotund gentlemen) - http://www.tigerleisure.com/1_Replica-Kit-SALE/

I have no affliation to Hull and i know sweet fúck all about them other than they had Brady, MCSHANE, Quinn and Meyler playing for them. I'll be supporting them through thick and thin in the BPL next year though :P

This is a great time of year to get bargains on lower league clubs. I've picked up a few obscure ones down the years for a tenner or thereabouts.

It's an odd belief - that someone should put a football clubs finances ahead of their own.

It's an odd belief - that someone should put a football clubs finances ahead of their own.

I'd rather support my football club than feed my kids for the week; I'm a real fan.

The club will make more money from a ticket than a small percentage of a shirt sale.I used to buy a new jersey every season,sometimes 2 if the away one was decent.I've a good collection from down through the years.

Spending the money you stole from the club back on the club has the makings of a new Robin Hood movie with a twist.

No I don't buy half & half scarves.
    By not stealing from the football club they claim to support? Solid logic there.

Spending the money you stole from the club back on the club has the makings of a new Robin Hood movie with a twist.

No I don't buy half & half scarves.

By not stealing from the football club they claim to support? Solid logic there.

You realise paying for a knock-off isn't stealing, right?

You realise paying for a knock-off isn't stealing, right?
    Not in a literal sense, no. But it is doing the club you claim to support out of money.

Edit - I wouldn't go as far as to say it completely isn't. Buying goods that you know are stolen (intellectual property).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Would normally buy the new Liverpool home jersey but as Warrior are scrapping the 2 year rule, il forfeit buying it this year out of principle

This was also the reason I stop buying football jerseys. Only getting one season out of a 75e jersey.

Had a Croat offer me money for the old Croatia away kit off my back. Would have sold it but had no spare clothes on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Mines a Coutinho number 10 with all the trimmings.

Might order the goalkeeper one of too with Reina on the back assuming he doesn't leave in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Detour

I don't really understand the need to buy these new shirts every season. It's nice to wear a jersey going to a match, or even down to the pub when a big match is on, but no one views you as more of a fan becuase you've the newest jersey. Seems like the older the jersey the more 'cred' you have.

Clubs/sports companies truly are taking the piss with the new cycle of jerseys every year, milking the fans all they can. What I don't understand is why fans fall for it? In reality you're doing more to support Nike than you are your club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Full Kit ****

Not a fan of Jerseys after the age of 16 they are only for Astro

Detour wrote: »
    I don't really understand the need to buy these new shirts every season. It's nice to wear a jersey going to a match, or even down to the pub when a big match is on, but no one views you as more of a fan becuase you've the newest jersey. Seems like the older the jersey the more 'cred' you have.

Clubs/sports companies truly are taking the piss with the new cycle of jerseys every year, milking the fans all they can. What I don't understand is why fans fall for it? In reality you're doing more to support Nike than you are your club.
    They're good for wearing to the match, and when playing 5-a-side or whatever, surely that is enough?

Edit - I wouldn't go as far as to say it completely isn't. Buying goods that you know are stolen (intellectual property).

Turns of uTorrent.:pac:

Turns of uTorrent.:pac:
    You'd really make that comparison?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Nah,I'll be sticking with my 03/04 sponsorless Ireland jersey that I won in a school competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Don't have a team. And I'm not ten years old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I will be buying my teams new jerseys, both home and away, I do so every year, it's not something I have to do but I like having them for astro and match days.

I am sort of a collector of jerseys, I end up with 5 or 6 new jerseys a year without really planning them (have slowed down now, was mad for them in my teens), at this stage I have well over 50 stuffed into my cupbord. I know some people think it's odd but it's not for me, I play Astro 3 times a week and would normally wear them there, sometimes I wear the nicer ones when lounging around as they can be quite comfortable. I never pay over €30 for one though, I have a lot of faith in those Thai sites like soccertriads and have been using them for newly released jerseys for years, I don't buy the "support your club!" argument, they will survive without my whopping €50 donation (of which they will see a fraction) and I would rather support myself and put that money to food or petrol, so until the price is more reasonable I will find an alternative. I will buy a jersey if it's on sale or at a good price, and I like getting a jersey for the team of somewhere I have travelled to. TK Maxx oddly enough can be a goldmine for cheap, rare jerseys. My most recent purchases there are a Nigerian national team jersey and an AIK Stockholm one. Everybody has their "thing" and mine since I was a kid has been jerseys, although the older I get I see my interest waning (24 now). Have to laugh at the part-time Gok Wans and their opinion on fashion faux pas though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

It depends on price and if I think they're in any way decent.

Didn't particularly like Newcastle's jerseys this season and I don't really like the look of the new ones for next season so I'll probably not bother.

Bohemians released two "new" jerseys. I say "new" because the home jersey is the exact same jersey they released last season with a new sponsor on the front of it so won't be buying it. The away jersey is new and is an absolute beaut and shall be purchasing at the next home game.

Ireland jerseys. I refuse to buy them on the basis that they are far too expensive and are changed far too frequently.

That_Guy wrote: »
    It depends on price and if I think they're in any way decent.

Didn't particularly like Newcastle's jerseys this season and I don't really like the look of the new ones for next season so I'll probably not bother.

Bohemians released two "new" jerseys. I say "new" because the home jersey is the exact same jersey they released last season with a new sponsor on the front of it so won't be buying it. The away jersey is new and is an absolute beaut and shall be purchasing at the next home game.

Ireland jerseys. I refuse to buy them on the basis that they are far too expensive and are changed far too frequently.

And we are the only national side to force their fans to be walking billboards for the latest phone company to line the pockets of the FAI. Can't get over that, the ONLY country to have sponsors on replica shirts. If Boylesports didn't give me a free one for a bet promotion I wouldn't have bought an Ireland shirt in maybe 6 years?

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I don't buy the "support your club!" argument
    wut.gif

You could read what I said after it, or totally take it out of context, that's fine too I guess.

• Advertisement

You could read what I said after it, or totally take it out of context, that's fine too I guess.
    Because they'll survive even if you don't support them, and your reason for not supporting them. I don't see how either of those things put it in a different context.

COYVB told us that football clubs make about £2 from indirect shirt sales and I have no reason to doubt him.

If you can justify and even argue the fact that fans should spend an extra €40 or so so that a football club can gain that £2 then I wouldn't fancy you managing my finances. In relative terms it's brainless and anyone arguing that fact should have a bit of a talk to themselves.

Because they'll survive even if you don't support them, and your reason for not supporting them. I don't see how either of those things put it in a different context.

"Buy your teams jersey in a club shop to support your club".

Bray Wanderers: Yes.
    Manchester United: No.

If I buy a United jersey in Lifestyle sports, what difference does it make? Absolutely none at all. So when I can get a United jersey with a player on the back for €22, I'm going to do so and not feel guilty about damaging the club.

COYVB told us that football clubs make about £2 from indirect shirt sales and I have no reason to doubt him.

If you can justify and even argue the fact that fans should spend an extra €40 or so so that a football club can gain that £2 then I wouldn't fancy you managing my finances. In relative terms it's brainless and anyone arguing that fact should have a bit of a talk to themselves.
    "Buy your teams jersey in a club shop to support your club".

Bray Wanderers: Yes.
    Manchester United: No.

If I buy a United jersey in Lifestyle sports, what difference does it make? Absolutely none at all. So when I can get a United jersey with a player on the back for €22, I'm going to do so and not feel guilty about damaging the club.
    Buying the jersey anywhere other than the club shop is as bad. You say you support a team, so support them. Otherwise, why pretend you do?

Buying the jersey anywhere other than the club shop is as bad. You say you support a team, so support them. Otherwise, why pretend you do?

You have a very specific set of criteria for supporting a club.

So anyone who has bought an official Premiership top in a sports shop is only a pretend supporter?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSik1FNPeGz5rL9DjXPsgh6wOyU4_WvCLgHhBAtcmDlM8VRfgMe

You just implied that if I buy a United jersey that isn't brought in the club shop, that I don't support the club, I just pretend to. If you don't see how absolutely ridiculous that is then I won't bother commenting further, as one thing I promised myself I would never do is feel the need to justify my supporting of my team to someone on the internet.

So anyone who has bought an official Premiership top in a sports shop is only a pretend supporter?
    Not exactly. If I go out and buy like a Fulham jersey because I think it is nice, then no. Because I'm not a Fulham supporter. But people who buy knockoff jerseys on the cheap, rather than support their own club, because they're too selfish to care about funding anything other than themselves, are not proper fans. Clubs like Man United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea are full of these kind of fans, and these clubs are all that is wrong with football today.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSik1FNPeGz5rL9DjXPsgh6wOyU4_WvCLgHhBAtcmDlM8VRfgMe

You just implied that if I buy a United jersey that isn't brought in the club shop, that I don't support the club, I just pretend to. If you don't see how absolutely ridiculous that is then I won't bother commenting further, as one thing I promised myself I would never do is feel the need to justify my supporting of my team to someone on the internet.
    Did you buy a ring to signify that promise? Proper one from a jewellers, or a knockoff thing that makes your fingers go green.

You have a very specific set of criteria for supporting a club.
    Going to the games most weeks and funding the club as much as possible/one can afford. Not like I've got ten commandments written on a tablet

• Advertisement
Advertisement