Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Plane habits

14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I've always felt that if mobiles and other electronic devices were as real a concern as is claimed, they'd be insisting passengers hand 'em over at some point pre-boarding. It'd certainly be in keeping with the unfortunate trend to infantilise the average passenger, something which has become ever more apparent over the last number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I was on a (delayed) United Airlines flight there a month ago, and they turned on all the in-flight entertainment while we were stuck in the taxi queue. They then left it on during take-off - was really weird sitting there with my headphones on while the plane shot down the runway!
    The planes own systems have been tested to destruction, they don't know how the various consumer devices will react with the planes systems though. Consumer tech is like shoudy, cheap tat compared to plane tech. It could be transmitting outside of it's intended frequencies or accidentally mimicking plane signals. It's highly unlikely anything would go wrong, they're more than likely playing it safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

ScumLord wrote: »
    The planes own systems have been tested to destruction, they don't know how the various consumer devices will react with the planes systems though. Consumer tech is like shoudy, cheap tat compared to plane tech. It could be transmitting outside of it's intended frequencies or accidentally mimicking plane signals. It's highly unlikely anything would go wrong, they're more than likely playing it safe.

As it stands they'd have to get certification for each device. Thousands of new devices are released every year, so the chances of them being able to certify each new one as they're released is slim. Would only be getting clearance for the original iPhone now, so they just blanket ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When I was going to America the movie they were showing was Far & Away.

When I was leaving America the movie they were showing was Far & Away.

*shudders*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

ScumLord wrote: »

The planes own systems may have been, but probably not the noise-cancelling headphones that I was using at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Reclining does irk me - not because of my size, but I dislike the intrusion of the seat back towards my face. Personal space issues I suppose. I only recline on long haul flights once the cabin lights have dimmed and all other passengers are settling down also. Otherwise I don't recline.

Anyway, now that the controversial topic is covered, another bugbear is people who have large handbags/backpacks when walking down the aisle and they bang into your head. Happens to me quite frequently as I like aisle seats. Take it off your shoulder and carry it in front of you.

People who put suitcases in horizontally into the overhead bins, as opposed to lengthways (if you get me). Thus taking up room, and causing the air stewards to do extra repacking.

I fly lots - and I have systems for getting through airports, security etc as efficiently as I can. It's all based on observation and thinking about how to make better for me, and other passengers. Most of the stupid f*ckwittery I see comes from people being oblivious and not thinking about the impact on other people.

Advertisement