Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Plane habits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

GreeBo wrote: »
    You paid for the flight, not the legroom.
    Also true. But the reality is, I don't physically fit in the space with the seat in front reclined. If I have my knees against it, its not reclining. And, due to the extremely limited space allowance, I've nowhere to move. So, my actual increase in physical disconfort when Frodo tries to recline and increases the pressure on my knees, trumps Frodo's right to slightly increase his.

Once you have a passenger over a certain height there is no space for the seat in front to recline into. There's nowhere for it to go that doesn't involve squashing the person behind. Both passengers suffer by dint of a lack of space.

I'm not complaining that they're encroaching on my space, I'm saying that the fact is they are encroaching on my person! And often painfully so. Which part of this don't people get? And, before the 'pay more' crowd pile in again, I've had this in business class too on some airlines.

I'm not saying people 'shouldn't' recline their seats. I'm only pointing out that sometimes its not physically possible!

So I'm guessing you have no problem with obese people spilling onto your seat then?
    If you are too tall to sit in a seat comfortably then pay for a bigger seat, just like the fatties should.
    Well, that might be a slightly different issue. I didn't decide to be tall through lifestyle choice...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Pilotdude5 wrote: »
    People should be banned from planes. Full stop.

You'd be out of a job then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

I'm 5'9'' and get crushed knees whenever the person in front puts their seat back. I never put mine back..

I'm 5'10 and never get crushed knees. My top half must be longer than my bottom half.:eek:

Anyway legs related, guys that have to sit with their legs spread far apart so that their legs are digging into you. I never understand why people have to site like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

endacl wrote: »
    Also true. But the reality is, I don't physically fit in the space with the seat in front reclined. If I have my knees against it, its not reclining. And, due to the extremely limited space allowance, I've nowhere to move. So, my actual increase in physical disconfort when Frodo tries to recline and increases the pressure on my knees, trumps Frodo's right to slightly increase his.

Once you have a passenger over a certain height there is no space for the seat in front to recline into. There's nowhere for it to go that doesn't involve squashing the person behind. Both passengers suffer by dint of a lack of space.

I'm not complaining that they're encroaching on my space, I'm saying that the fact is they are encroaching on my person! And often painfully so. Which part of this don't people get? And, before the 'pay more' crowd pile in again, I've had this in business class too on some airlines.

I'm not saying people 'shouldn't' recline their seats. I'm only pointing out that sometimes its not physically possible!
    So if the airplane seat, when used as designed, isnt big enough for you, you need to find somewhere with bigger seats.

There is no concept of your discomfort trumps his comfort. You both paid the same and received the same service, the fact that your body is too big is not his issue an more than its the person 10 rows behind. You and this other passenger have no relationship, no contract entered into. You and the airline do as does this other passenger. If you cant sit in your seat, complain to the airline, not the guy in front.

Well, that might be a slightly different issue. I didn't decide to be tall through lifestyle choice...

;)

Lots of people are obese for reasons other than lifestyle choice.

So if the airplane seat, when used as designed, isnt big enough for you, you need to find somewhere with bigger seats.

There is no concept of your discomfort trumps his comfort. You both paid the same and received the same service, the fact that your body is too big is not his issue an more than its the person 10 rows behind. You and this other passenger have no relationship, no contract entered into. You and the airline do as does this other passenger. If you cant sit in your seat, complain to the airline, not the guy in front.

Lots of people are obese for reasons other than lifestyle choice.
    On your first point, I happen to agree entirely. We did both pay for the same service, and both suffer by lack of legroom. Me because there is none, and him because he can't use the recline function. We both need more space. Doesn't actually really effect me. As I've said, with my knees jammed up against his seat, his seat ain't reclining. That's the simple fact of it. There's no space for it to recline into. Not because of anything I'm doing to actively prevent it. Just because I'm sitting in my seat.

I'm unsure as to what you're getting at with the 'contract' stuff'? I'm talking about regard for other people, not contractual obligation.

On your obesity point. True, but for the majority, diet and exercise would have them back within the normal range. Do you suggest amputation for tall people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Im surprised by the amount of pro recliners here and the attitude of "live with it". Well in my view, it is about basic manners. You have both paid the same amount for the ticket (in the same class) so why should your experience be a cramped and uncomfortable nightmare of using your elbows to eat, not being able to move and also, straining to see the screen of the tv (which also goes down a bit on recline) while the person ahead of you has a lovely relaxing time? And on the babies issue, what good is staring? Thats not gonna change anything. Either speak to the parents or suck it up. Sitting there with a sour puss is the calling card of someone with no balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

As an aside, I am heading to Trkey next week on hols and will be carrying cash.Is it OK to keep the wad of cash in your pocket when passing through security or do you have to put in the tray with all the coins and keys and stuff?:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

You'd be out of a job then

Nah I don't have a job because Low cost airlines make their money from charging pilots roughly 30000 for the job. This is after you qualify. You can ace the interview, ace the sim assessments and tests, have a flawless employment record and not get the job because some 19yo kid who hasn't worked a day in their life with mom and dads money pays for it instead.

About 90% of pilots getting jobs these days pay for them. It would be a coincidence if they all were the best candidates.

There is a lot more South Dublin pilots than North Dublin ones if you get my drift.

It will start happening in other industries too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

As an aside, I am heading to Trkey next week on hols and will be carrying cash.Is it OK to keep the wad of cash in your pocket when passing through security or do you have to put in the tray with all the coins and keys and stuff?:cool:

Keep it in your pocket if it's not metal it won't beep, and if it doesn't beep nobody cares, but if you're putting in the tray make sure it's hidden.

• Advertisement

Im surprised by the amount of pro recliners here and the attitude of "live with it". Well in my view, it is about basic manners. You have both paid the same amount for the ticket (in the same class) so why should your experience be a cramped and uncomfortable nightmare of using your elbows to eat, not being able to move and also, straining to see the screen of the tv (which also goes down a bit on recline) while the person ahead of you has a lovely relaxing time? And on the babies issue, what good is staring? Thats not gonna change anything. Either speak to the parents or suck it up. Sitting there with a sour puss is the calling card of someone with no balls.

I think that's a bit over dramatic, you don't have to be cramped, if you want more room let your own seat back. The screens tilt to allow for reclined seats. If you want leg room stretch a leg under the seat. If somebody is going to be uncomfortable because the guy behind me is too fat, tall, or clumsy to manage, then that uncomfortable person is going to be the guy behind me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Having done a good few international flights the past month or so, I have seen the worst kind of manners from all types of people and nowhere is this more evident than the etiquette on long-haul flights. Some of the worst offenders are:

1. People who BANG the buttons on the back of your seat as they browse the entertainment options on the tv screen, not even considering that the person ahead of them has their head down for a kip and doesnt appreciate the constant banging behind their head.

2. People who look at babies crying as if they are the devil. Now, I know its annoying to hear constant crying on a plane and if they are seated next to you then yes, thats bad. But im on about the people who are seated a few rows ahead/behind and whip their head around to stare in horror EVERY SINGLE TIME THE BABY CRIES, as if staring at them will make it stop. I cannot get over that attitude and I saw a couple in their 60s staring at a child who cried a few rows to their left, they even stopped watching their shows to turn around. They didnt even say anything just stared in amazement! I mean, babies cry ffs. Whats so unusual about that?

3. People who put their seats back right on your lap and refuse to move it up even an inch. I really had to hold back when this guy did it to me the last flight and his answer to my request to put it up was "Nope, your problem", I could have thrown him out the window I was that annoyed.

4. People who rush straight to the toilet the second you can undo your seat belt, despite the fact that almost every gate/waiting area have plenty of toilets, why the hell do people leave it to the last minute??

There are more, but Im sure you have experienced the same or worse, anyone else have any other annoying experiences on these flights??

because by the time the seatbelt light changes. its been a good oul 40 minutes or so since you could last visit a toilet. i go to the toilet before i join the que and still need one..

Nino Brown wrote: »
    I think that's a bit over dramatic, you don't have to be cramped, if you want more room let your own seat back. The screens tilt to allow for reclined seats. If you want leg room stretch a leg under the seat. If somebody is going to be uncomfortable because the guy behind me is too fat, tall, or clumsy to manage, then that uncomfortable person is going to be the guy behind me.

And there you go. A lack of regard and 'I'm all right, jack'.

And there you go. A lack of regard and 'I'm all right, jack'.

Why should I sacrifice comfort so the guy behind me who I never met can be more comfortable? Its doesn't make sense. I'm not doing anything the seat wasn't designed to do.
    I shouldn't recline my seat because he would rather not recline his?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ryanir playing that horse racing song when they land. **** off.

Why should I sacrifice comfort so the guy behind me who I never met can be more comfortable? Its doesn't make sense. I'm not doing anything the seat wasn't designed to do.
    I shouldn't recline my seat because he would rather not recline his?

You're missing the subtle yet fundamental difference between forgoing 'more comfort' as opposed to actually 'causing discomfort'.

The seat wasn't designed to do it. It was designed to have the capacity to do it. The 'doing' is the choice of the occupant. As explained - repeatedly - the space issue is not resolved by the person behind also reclining. Have you read the thread?

Of course it doesn't make sense. If your level of selfishness is sufficiently developed that is. Or your regard for other people is sufficiently underdeveloped.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

timetogo wrote: »
    I'm 5'10 and never get crushed knees. My top half must be longer than my bottom half.:eek:

Anyway legs related, guys that have to sit with their legs spread far apart so that their legs are digging into you. I never understand why people have to site like that.

Ball room.

jay1988 wrote: »
    Ball room.

You can sit any way you like in a ballroom. Once your not wearing a kilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Talking loudly during the safety briefing. STFU.

You may have flown a gazillion times before but others haven't. It is also annoying trying to listen to one voice when all you can hear is another.

Fair play to attendants who tell people to shut it.

• Advertisement

As explained - repeatedly - the space issue is not resolved by the person behind also reclining. Have you read the thread?

I don't think it has. If you're referring to knees being in the way, I'm 6"1 myself, and yes if I choose to sit in the fully upright position with my knees together they will stick in the back if the seat in front, so I put a leg under the seat, or along the side if I'm the aisle or window, or spread my knees either side of the seat.
    I wouldn't expect the guy in front not to recline his seat, because I would rather seat sit knees together, and I would rather not have to adjust my screen, and I would rather not have to recline my own seat, and I don't like the position of my tray when his seat is reclined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Backpacks...thats my big gripe about air travel and airports.

Yeah.....air travel....brings out the worst in folk....:mad:

I think mostly you.

I really like when people have backpacks because they're more aware of them than wheelie bags plus you never get them suddenly stopping when they come to stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

People not walking on the moving floor in the airport, or flat escalator.

i'm fairly sure the point is to get you to the gate faster, not to let you get there without walking, or give your feet a rest.

starWave wrote: »
    People not walking on the moving floor in the airport, or flat escalator.

i'm fairly sure the point is to get you to the gate faster, not to let you get there without walking, or give your feet a rest.

Not really a plane habit, but I hear ya. That wrecks my head. They could at least stand to one side, and it's always when you're in hurry too.
    And the little shimmy people do at the end is hilarious, like they're getting ready to jump off a train,

Not really a plane habit, but I hear ya. That wrecks my head. They could at least stand to one side, and it's always when you're in hurry too.
    And the little shimmy people do at the end is hilarious, like they're getting ready to jump off a train,

Looks like its hard to dismount those yokes when you're wearing heels.

Same for normal escalators, but thats not really plane or airport related. You'd think at this stage, people would be able to dismount in a fluid step.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

On my way over to Canada the chap in the seat aisle beside me covered himself in the blanket and proceeded to masturbate for the majority of the flight.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    On my way over to Canada the chap in the seat aisle beside me covered himself in the blanket and proceeded to masturbate for the majority of the flight.

Was the seat in front reclined or non-reclined?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

He must have had a bloodied hand and a raw stump if he was at it for the majority of the flight.

If you didn´t call the air steward (or whatever they are called these days) then you are a complete sap.

I doubt this happened without anyone noticing.

He masturbated for the whole flight? That dude must have no imagination

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rockygsd123

I think he only said it as a joke and people shouldn't be very hard on him :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Instead of giving parents with crying babies the evil eye simply approach them with a bottle of Nyquil and offer them as much as they need to make the screaming brat go into a semi-coma. You may even get a round of applause from the rest of the passengers.

• Advertisement

Wattle wrote: »
    Instead of giving parents with crying babies the evil eye simply approach them with a bottle of Nyquil and offer them as much as they need to make the screaming brat go into a semi-coma. You may even get a round of applause from the rest of the passengers.

I saw a documentary before on Afghanistan, and they blew heroin smoke in the face of crying babies, its works like a charm, but it wouldn't work in this case.....can't smoke on planes

Anyone in the mile high club? bar the guy under the blanket on his way to Canada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

There's a special place in hell for people who recline on flights between the UK and Ireland. Totally unnecessary and anyone who does it is only doing it for the sake of being a ****. If you're 6'3+ just bite the bullet and get the emergency exit row.

Also, this is before we get on the plane, but Gatwick (in particular) staff being pricks in general. Closing off all but one security lane and giving extra screening to everyone when they knew there were a lot of Irish rugby fans coming through, verbally abusive gate staff, Aer Lingus check-in desk staff giving me a middle seat when there ended up being a vacant window seat... :rolleyes:

People who take ages to get through security too. Got stuck behind someone carrying 8 bottles of milk for their baby the last time I flew from Dublin T2, they had to taste everything in front of the staff in addition to getting all the other baby stuff through, wasted around 10-15 mins...

People who take ages to get through security too. Got stuck behind someone carrying 8 bottles of milk for their baby the last time I flew from Dublin T2, they had to taste everything in front of the staff in addition to getting all the other baby stuff through, wasted around 10-15 mins...

Apply for Aer Lingus gold circle and use the fast track lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I am pie wrote: »
    He must have had a bloodied hand and a raw stump if he was at it for the majority of the flight.

If you didn´t call the air steward (or whatever they are called these days) then you are a complete sap.

I doubt this happened without anyone noticing.

No it happened and I noticed.

Not sure why I didnt call the steward looking back on it.

No it happened and I noticed.

Not sure why I didnt call the steward looking back on it.

Could be kind of awkward if you call the Stewardess and accuse the guy of jacking it right in front of him. Then it turns out he has parkinsons or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

I once got stuck beside a some fella who took his shoes off at the beginning of the flight and the smell off his feet was vile. It was only a 50 minute flight but my god it felt like lifetime. I thought I'd never get away from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

exaisle wrote: »
    +1

More prevalent in the USA I think. I remember back in the 80s when I was doing a lot of flying there, every time a plane landed there was an explosion of applause.

I think it's mainly out of a sense of relief that the plane hasn't hit the ground (or something else) at 400 odd miles an hour....although I can't help thinking that landing the plane safely is what the guy in the front seat is very well paid for....he's only doing his job. Next thing, they'll start applauding bus drivers for stopping safely at the terminus.... ;-)

Muppets!

I've flown hundreds of flights both in the US and abroad. Never have I ever seen folks applauding for a landing.

Babies should still be prohibited from flying, though. Children as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Apply for Aer Lingus gold circle and use the fast track lane.

There is the *slight* issue of needing 2400 points to get the card, which is 12 return flights to the UK (or Kerry) at Plus rate or an extremely dear non-Plus rate, or 8 returns to the continent at the same. And then when you've spent enough to cancel the Aer Lingus pension defecit and have the card, and need to fly somewhere that Aer Lingus don't, e.g. Donegal or Leeds for me, you suddenly end up in the ultra-zoo that is T1 security as a prole again. T2 security is *never* as bad as T1.

People who think the reclining function on a seat is there for anything other than legacy reasons are going to be the same people who try and smoke on a plane old enough to have an ashtray in the arm, either obstinate, ignorant or both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

giving a young child a drink/cup... so they can go and spill it all over you D:

___
    On point one, I always put my hand up against the back of their chair at the beginning of a flight(when belts can be off) as I find thats when most people try to recline. I keep pushing/holding, until they give up trying, has worked well for me. Also helps to keep a close eye to when they stretch there legs are hand goes near button, as they're likely to try again 20 minutes into the flight.

What I don't get is why, on short haul flights anything thats 2 & half hours or under are the seats allowed to recline at all >.>,

On w/e point was about babies. I hate them, now I wouldn't hurt one, but keep them the fcuk away from me. I react similarly to how someone who's afraid of spiders reacts. And then to have them screaming with parents doing nothing. That's unfair. Young children should not be on flights/or maybe only at certain time like afternoon flights? :P

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    There is the *slight* issue of needing 2400 points to get the card, which is 12 return flights to the UK (or Kerry) at Plus rate or an extremely dear non-Plus rate, or 8 returns to the continent at the same. And then when you've spent enough to cancel the Aer Lingus pension defecit and have the card, and need to fly somewhere that Aer Lingus don't, e.g. Donegal or Leeds for me, you suddenly end up in the ultra-zoo that is T1 security as a prole again. T2 security is *never* as bad as T1.

Ok, I had the 2400 points when I learned about fast track, so I can't guarantee, but you can def skip all the other queues with just the application, check-in, boarding, etc. You get the number right away, and its printed on the ticket, so fast track is worth a try. They don't ask for the card at fast track. You only need the card for the lounge. All other times the number on your ticket is sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Clapping when we land.

WTF is that all about?

I always start the clapping at the end of a flight for no other reason other than to annoy people like you :L :pac: and the fact that it is terribly cheesey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

People who are terrified of flying. I always wonder why. All they have to do is educate themselves a little bit to learn that airliners are very, very safe compared to cars. A fear of flying is the equivalent of a fear of cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ok, I had the 2400 points when I learned about fast track, so I can't guarantee, but you can def skip all the other queues with just the application, check-in, boarding, etc. You get the number right away, and its printed on the ticket, so fast track is worth a try. They don't ask for the card at fast track. You only need the card for the lounge. All other times the number on your ticket is sufficient.

You're relying on a thick security agent for that. The majority of them do ask for the card, as they're meant to.

That said, some of them refuse to allow people with the few remaining Gold Circle credit cards, so its not like they're very reliable at enforcing the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Was on a long haul flight a few years ago with this big, fat, middle-aged American woman sitting behind me. For whatever reason, she was in and out of her seat several times an hour. This wouldn't have been a big deal for me except every time she wanted to get up, she clutched the back of my seat and used it to pull her heafty arse free of her own chair, thereby giving me a a jolt (pretty annoying being woken up or have your reading etc interrupted every 20 minutes or so). Anyway, after the fifth or sixth time, I literally sat in my chair waiting for it to happen again. As soon as I felt the depression of my backrest - and then after letting her put her whole weight on it - I pressed the button to recline my seat. Well, let me tell you, hilarity ensued: she went fucking flying! I couldn't have wished for a better, more theatrical fall - it was fucking gas; she ended up lying halfway in the aisle with her neighbour's dinner all over her. Still makes me laugh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭GoodisonPark

The way I deal with the reclining seat issue is simple.
    Identify where the reclining mechanism is on the seat in front and jam a coin into it. This will prevent the seat from reclining back on top of you. Works every time.
    As a bonus I get great entertainment watching the passenger wrestle with the reclining button then complaining to the flight crew that the seat is not reclining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

People who jump up out of their seats and start opening the overhead bins almost the moment the plane touches the ground even though there's about 20 minutes of taxiing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭tooth*grinder

who_me wrote: »
    Personally I hate the way some idiot plane designer/airline executive has the seats so wedged in that the passengers might as well be in a chicken battery farm. Which inevitably leads to lots of abuse directed between passengers ('the guy next to me is too fat', 'the guy in front reclines his seat into my knees', 'the guy behind is hitting my seat with his knees') instead of more productively bitching about the clueless idiot/greedy asshole who designed the interiors like that in the first place.

And some airlines are worse than others. I flew on a Thomas Cook charter flight, and the seat pitch was ridiculous. I'm neither heavy nor tall (about 5'11) and my legs were wedged hard against the seat in front, ended up with backaches for a couple of days, just getting better in time for the flight back. It's a farce.

Had the same experience. Got knee capped by the people in front of me reclining their seats. Worst flight I was ever on and won't be taking again.

Surely there has to be some sort of law to say the minimum amount of space allowed cause I sure as didn't have it when on that flight.

Recliners are just scum in my eyes. I take a childlike delight in going out of my way to ruin their flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I don't mind the babies crying that much. They have every right to be crying. Likely their first time on an aircraft and they are very sensitive to changes in their environment.

I know I'm always a mess after a long haul flight between being dehydrated, jetlaged and unpopped ears!

Can't say I blame the poor little sods - christ knows people are much bigger moaners than babies are criers, in fact, I know what I would prefer to listen to.

I remember one Ryanair flight some bloke sitting across from us spent the entire flight giving out about Ryanair. All the usual stuff, "haha, they'll be charging for the jacks next", "all these bloody charges" ad nauseam. Dickhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

I put my seat back on a short flight, it was really early so I wanted a lie down. I ended up getting the seat booted by the guy behind, completely uncalled for, if he had asked me to pull it up I would have.

Advertisement