Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Plane habits

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

People who don't control their fcuking children on a plane. Was on a Ryanair flight this week into Cork and the little sh!ts were rampaging, climbing over empty seats, screaming, stomping up and down. Like a crèche.

I don't mind babies crying as that's natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

MYOB wrote: »
    You're relying on a thick security agent for that. The majority of them do ask for the card, as they're meant to.

That said, some of them refuse to allow people with the few remaining Gold Circle credit cards, so its not like they're very reliable at enforcing the rules

3 out of 3 times, they didn't ask for the card. First time the guy said I didn't need it when I had it out. Will see how it goes next time. Some of them refuse people with the cards?

Seems they rely on the machine, and looking at the ticket, which has a gold circle number on it, even before you get any points. Don't imagine the security guy has any problem with that, as long as you have the gold circle number on the ticket, unless word got out I suppose, and everyone started chancing it.

For the people who are mad to get on the plane first or skip the check-in queue, all they need to do is apply. I know you def don't need the card for that, as I tried it every time before I got the 2400 points.

The way I see it, it costs Aer Lingus nothing to let a few applicants skip a queue so you're effectively Gold Circle, once you apply. You only need the card for the lounge, as that actually costs them money, and they want to have made a you bob off you before you start lounging.

An american lad had a fit one day saying he was queueing for ages at check-in when I rolled up to the bag drop desk. The funny thing was he was only dropping a bag too, but stupid enough to queue in the long check-in queue. The lady explained I was only dropping a bag to him, and told him to pipe down. Was just like that scene in "Up in the Air".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

starWave wrote: »
    The way I see it, it costs Aer Lingus nothing

Costs them roughly 70c a go to the DAA to use Fasttrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭joe swanson

Recliners annoy the hell out of me but not as much as clappers. Only seem to get them on charter flights and tend to be a certain type of person.

MYOB wrote: »
    Costs them roughly 70c a go to the DAA to use Fasttrack.

Didn't know that. Interesting. Thats nothing compared to the price of my tickets anyway. I'm sure a lot of people would pay 70c to skip the security line. I'm sure it costs an individual a lot more though, if its even possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭MickFleetwood

nuxxx wrote: »
    Them suicide bomber lads who try to blow up the plane, can't stand them

Very troublesome folk. Extremely rude when they crash the plane into a mountain, forcing it to explode into a raging ball of flame.

Not very considerate at all. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,909 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Didn't know that. Interesting. Thats nothing compared to the price of my tickets anyway. I'm sure a lot of people would pay 70c to skip the security line. I'm sure it costs an individual a lot more though, if its even possible.

Fiver, with a free coffee:

http://www.airportgenie.com/index.php?option=com_flyplus&task=fasttrack&Itemid=637

Slightly less if bought with short-term carparking from memory. This is what I now do when I have to fly Logan/Ryan/SAS from T1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Wattle wrote: »
    People who jump up out of their seats and start opening the overhead bins almost the moment the plane touches the ground even though there's about 20 minutes of taxiing to go.

Reminds me of this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

Is anyone else terrified of the toilet flush? its so loud it makes me jump every time. I open the door, flush and run halfway up the plane before it goes off.

I also f*cking love plane food. I know everyone else hates it, I can't get enough of it.

Anyone ever use a sick bag? never seen anyone actually use one...thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭Heckler

Preflight, the tools who spend 20+ mins in a security queue and only when they get called start to remove belts, loosen shoes, organise phones, coins, pocket ****. **** of the highest order.

On board, not too annoying just pointless, getting up and getting stuff together and standing in an aisle for 20 minutes to disembark after landing. Just sit there till everyones gone, stroll off and by the time you get get to the baggage area yer gear will be just arriving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Strangers beside me itching for conversation. For 5 hours. I find the yanks notorious for this. I dont mind a chin wag for the odd 30mins here and there but sometimes you want to just chill out but they persist in conversation despite the hints to stop talking! Earphones = best invention ever.

Also, people who are complete cabbages, blocking up the aisle while they take 5 years to put their bag up in the overhead hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

People who leave th toilet door open when they're returning from it

Very large muscular men sitting beside you. It's the equivalent, if not worse then fat people

Rest hoggers - they're for sharing

People in the window seat who lean forward so that the other two have no opportunity to see out the window

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

I must say, i'm generally polite when it comes to putting my seat back, i would always ask. No one has ever said "no"

They are probably just being polite. Unless you're in first class the seats dont go back far enough to make any real difference to your comfort but they go back just far enough to negatively affect the comfort of the person behind you.
    It's a selfish and ignorant thing to do and I have no idea why the seats recline at all. if you cant go a few hours without stretching out then get the fucking boat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

how about those people you find just sitting into row 5 when only rows 9 to 22 have been asked to board? and you have to wait ages whilst they get off their coats and fill up the luggage rack with their stuff. (happened on tuesday....) EI712 from Cork ...you know who you are....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

exaisle wrote: »
    +1

More prevalent in the USA I think. I remember back in the 80s when I was doing a lot of flying there, every time a plane landed there was an explosion of applause.

I think it's mainly out of a sense of relief that the plane hasn't hit the ground (or something else) at 400 odd miles an hour....although I can't help thinking that landing the plane safely is what the guy in the front seat is very well paid for....he's only doing his job. Next thing, they'll start applauding bus drivers for stopping safely at the terminus.... ;-)

Muppets!

I always thought it was a "thank you" to the pilot for the trip. People thank bus drivers, taxi drivers, when they get out of the cab. You can't really thank a pilot as they are still in the cockpit when you disembark, so a nice thank you round of applause will do the trick.

I always thought it was sweet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Is anyone else terrified of the toilet flush? its so loud it makes me jump every time. I open the door, flush and run halfway up the plane before it goes off.

I also f*cking love plane food. I know everyone else hates it, I can't get enough of it.

Anyone ever use a sick bag? never seen anyone actually use one...thankfully.

I love plane food too , I think its the novelty of eating something and trying to find out what it is by taste rather than its appearance .

On a slightly different note I was queueing to get a flight a few years ago just after 9 11 , when a women in the queue announced to the security people that she had a scissors in her hand bag.

I thought when she took it out it was going to be a small little vanity type scissors , ...... nope, no way... it looked like a cross between a bayonet and a garden shears. The woman was my wife

Bajingo wrote: »
    I put my seat back on a short flight, it was really early so I wanted a lie down. I ended up getting the seat booted by the guy behind, completely uncalled for, if he had asked me to pull it up I would have.

It was completely and utterly called for. As you say, it was an early flight, perhaps he likes to relax in the morning by not being kneecapped.
    When I get on a flight one of the first things I do is jam my knees up in behind the seat in front of me so even if some prick does try to put his seat back it isnt going anywhere

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

If the seats weren't meant to recline then they wouldn't. It is your problem.

Agree with you on the rest.

Bull****, that's like running over somebody walking across the road on purpose, because cars are meant to drive, and roads are made for driving on.

If anybody did or said what that guy said to the OP his seat would be lifted out of it with a kick/kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

antodeco wrote: »
    Or the people who put their bags in the overhead bins nowhere near their seat, but above your seat. Eh, where am I meant to stick my bag now?

The flight landed, I got up to open the compartment above me and a Nikon Camera in a bag came crashing down on my head. A guy pushed his way up the aisle quite rudely and said, "Do you know how much that cost?", I said, "If you tell me the model number I'll tell you if you paid the right price or not", going by the way it hit me on the head I would say it's a D60. Here you go. He was so angry. It happened because he was the last one standing and had a flight attendant pushing him to put his luggage away quickly.

Rude attendant regardless of fare price.

People who rush to the point it's painful to watch.

People who know the 'annoying rules' that Ryanair impose but don't play them at their own game.

Leeds Bradford shuttle bus to the terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Farting. I was on a flight from Amsterdam-Cork a few years ago and the lads in the seats behind us were letting rip something rotten! The stink was unreal, the farts seemed to smell worse than normal on a plane!

• Advertisement

Aglomerado wrote: »
    Farting. I was on a flight from Amsterdam-Cork a few years ago and the lads in the seats behind us were letting rip something rotten! The stink was unreal, the farts seemed to smell worse than normal on a plane!

Sounds like my mate. It's constant, car, cinema, street, every 5 mins. It's ****ing disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

It was completely and utterly called for. As you say, it was an early flight, perhaps he likes to relax in the morning by not being kneecapped.
    When I get on a flight one of the first things I do is jam my knees up in behind the seat in front of me so even if some prick does try to put his seat back it isnt going anywhere

You must look like quite the prick when you do that!

People who steal the armrest on people unfortunate enough to be stuck in the middle. People in the middle seat should be entitled to both arm rests either side.

Giruilla wrote: »
    You must look like quite the prick when you do that!

People who steal the armrest on people unfortunate enough to be stuck in the middle. People in the middle seat should be entitled to both arm rests either side.

Well my legs are long enough that I can do it without making it obvious what I'm at. I dont sit with my knees hunkered up around my chin or anything. With that said, even if it did look like that, I'd rather look a prick than sit there for 8 hours with my knees being crushed so some other prick can arch back an extra three degree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

mattjack wrote: »
    I love plane food too , I think its the novelty of eating something and trying to find out what it is by taste rather than its appearance .

On a slightly different note I was queueing to get a flight a few years ago just after 9 11 , when a women in the queue announced to the security people that she had a scissors in her hand bag.

I thought when she took it out it was going to be a small little vanity type scissors , ...... nope, no way... it looked like a cross between a bayonet and a garden shears. The woman was my wife

brilliant, just made me snort laughing :) needed that today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

May of been covered already but waiting at the gate in a terminal and if an airline official walks within 10 meters of the desk at the gate everyone rushes up to the queue so they can be first on. FFS you will get a seat regardless. Its worse when they do it on flights with assigned seating.

iDave wrote: »
    May of been covered already but waiting at the gate in a terminal and if an airline official walks within 10 meters of the desk at the gate everyone rushes up to the queue so they can be first on. FFS you will get a seat regardless. Its worse when they do it on flights with assigned seating.

Or in those airports where a shuttle bus takes the passengers from the gate to the plane... what fcuking difference does it make then... they are better off being LAST on the bus, rather than first!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

mattjack wrote: »

Maybe this belongs in the dealing with idiots thread but I was going to the States last year and in Dublin Airport I put my bag through security. Now, I'm a lazy sod and pack 10 mins before I leave the house i.e. just throw stuff in the case.

Anyway, I get the usual questions and answer as you'd expect and got through the scanner.

"Excuse me Sir, is this your bag" yer woman asks. I confirmed it was. She sticks her hand in and pulls out...a Stanley knife. Needless to say, the lady was, rightfully, not impressed. No idea how it got there but it wasn't mine. I think it was my dad's but I'm too clumsy to be allowed to own one.

Lucky it happened here and not in the US. I'd be in Guantanamo Bay now if I'd done it on the return leg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Aglomerado wrote: »

Skunk?

YFlyer wrote: »
    Skunk?

More than likely! :D

• Advertisement

Well my legs are long enough that I can do it without making it obvious what I'm at. I dont sit with my knees hunkered up around my chin or anything. With that said, even if it did look like that, I'd rather look a prick than sit there for 8 hours with my knees being crushed so some other prick can arch back an extra three degree

So you'd rather look like a prick, stressed out, and sit on high alert for any unwarranted seat back movement than adjust your seating position slightly and allow a fellow passenger possibly relieve back pain?

Don't know about looking like a prick but I know what you sound like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

I would happily sit for the whole flight with my thumb on the recline button. I bet your legs would get tired holding up my weight, before my thumb gets sore holding the button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I hate when i fall asleep and wake up licking the person beside me

Wow. This reclining seat is really touching some people's buttons. It's no more or less annoying than Ryanair not accepting a torn sheet of paper. MOVE ON!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I was on a flight from London to San Francisco recently, stuck right in the middle of a huge group of chatty Italians. Even the stewardess was speaking Italian. The nationality isn't really related to the story but there you go.

Anyway - I was in the middle seat of the three by the window. The guy beside me looked to be napping. I looked out the window, as the plane was making a turn and I could see the countryside / buildings etc. The guy by the window opens his eyes and sees me looking out the window. He then leans forward to look for himself, blocking my view. Then he closes the shutter and sits back and closes his eyes.

Utter cúnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

People of average height who moan about not having enough leg room. I'm 6' 2" and even on Ryanair I've more than enough room, so long as I'm actually sat up straight rather than slouched forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭bellylint

o1s1n wrote: »
    People who feel the need to bring babies on long haul flights. :mad:

/Glare.

Yea I mean I dont have a baby, but I do feel the need to make them travel.... it does lead to some jail time at the far end though alas or I would do it more. :rolleyes:

DHFrame wrote: »
    Wow. This reclining seat is really touching some people's buttons. It's no more or less annoying than Ryanair not accepting a torn sheet of paper. MOVE ON!

Its needlessly aggressive - therefore knackerish behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

People who fall asleep and use your shoulder as a pillow!!
    This happened me on a couple of flights to the US.

That and reclining the seat directly into my knees (I'm tall).

One guy actually asked me if I would move my legs as I was blocking his seat and slammed it back into my knees multiple times.

corktina wrote: »
    how about those people you find just sitting into row 5 when only rows 9 to 22 have been asked to board? and you have to wait ages whilst they get off their coats and fill up the luggage rack with their stuff. (happened on tuesday....) EI712 from Cork ...you know who you are....

You can actually board anytime you want regardless of what row is called, once you apply for gold circle. Sign up and you can get on early too.

I'm with you on blocking the aisles though. People could take their coats off before they get on the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Babies have it all too good! They get the exit row, a cardboard tray to sleep in and get to bawl their way through the flight. They have it easy and they know it. People should have to stow them anyway in the overhead bin or under the seat in front!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭frank reynolds

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Can't understand wanting to sit beside people on a flight. Not like you really have proper conversations on a flight. F**k me, it's either an hour or two flight or you're long haul on the entertainment system.

I travel a bit with work and try to avoid sitting beside my workmates if I can. In fact, I try to avoid travelling with them. Maybe I should get a new job...

what happens when YOU (the person asked to move seats) is THE WEIRDO of the plane and they dont necessarily want to talk to each other, but more so just to NOT have to talk to the weirdo of the plane?

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    Babies have it all too good! They get the exit row, a cardboard tray to sleep in and get to bawl their way through the flight. They have it easy and they know it. People should have to stow them anyway in the overhead bin or under the seat in front!

Like this!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_VDgRkyGHw

So you'd rather look like a prick,

nope
    stressed out,

nope
    and sit on high alert

nope, none of the above. Like I said, i dont sit there with my knees up on the other fella's headrest. It requires a slight adjustment on my part and I look perfectly normal and am comfortable enough to relax and enjoy the rest of the flight, very much on low to no alert. The person in front, so long as they dont try to put their seat back, doesnt notice.
    for any unwarranted seat back movement than adjust your seating position slightly and allow a fellow passenger possibly relieve back pain?

Haha, they have back pain now. I'll counter your imagined back pain with an invented knee condition.
    Don't know about looking like a prick but I know what you sound like.

So do I, a smarty pants who'll never sit for 8 hours while the prick in front of him crushes his legs again.
    Nino Brown wrote: »
    I would happily sit for the whole flight with my thumb on the recline button. I bet your legs would get tired holding up my weight, before my thumb gets sore holding the button.

You're really not getting this. I'm perfectly comfortable, Im not holding my legs in position or anything.

Anyway, bottom line, moving your seat back if there is someone behind you is the act of an ignorant tosser. When I take over it will a crime akin to speaking or using your phone in the cinema. Staff will come over, take you to the back of the plane and beat you with bamboo sticks until you learn to show some consideration for your fellow passengers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

You can actually board anytime you want regardless of what row is called, once you apply for gold circle. Sign up and you can get on early too.

I'm with you on blocking the aisles though. People could take their coats off before they get on the plane.
    i can never understand peoples rush to get on and off...once you've a seat booked you're good to go even if you are last on and getting off, well wait your turn (aimed at the old lady who sprinted down the aisle to get off sooner on said EI712....probably then waited for her luggage at the carosel for ten minutes...))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Alot of people aren't very careful when taking down their overhead stuff at the end of the flight. Seen alot of people including my OH getting clocked on the head from some gimp taking down their stuff.

Also what's the bloody rush anyway as soon as the belt light is off some people scramble to get their bags down and then stand for 10-15 minutes while the plane docks, sure they might get ahead of 5 or 6 people. Sit back, relax and unless your in the first 10 rows wait for the door to open before getting your stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭El Diablo Blanco

This is particularly bad with Ryanair flights, but I cannot stand when people board through the back door and, rather than move down to the centre where there's loads of seats, will sit in the back row or two, and spend f**king ages standing in the aisle loading their gear, coats, etc., while everyone behind is left waiting for them to move aside. Extremely inconsiderate. No problem with people taking the back seats, but at least move out of the aisle, so people can pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭anna.fun

Parents in the row behind you encouraging their little toddler to keep kicking your seat...
    fat smelly sweaty people next to you, taking up half of my own seat...

corktina wrote: »
    i can never understand peoples rush to get on and off...once you've a seat booked you're good to go even if you are last on and getting off, well wait your turn (aimed at the old lady who sprinted down the aisle to get off sooner on said EI712....probably then waited for her luggage at the carosel for ten minutes...))

If I have no carry on luggage, I'll sit back and get on last. If I have carry on luggage and the flight is full, I'll have nowhere to put it if I wait until the end, and it will have to go in the hold, and collect it with the checked in luggage.
    So I just board a the start when rows 22 to 29 are called, quickly take my seat, relax and watch the carnage as everyone scrambles to get their bag up, while blocking everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have to say, the reclining thing bugs me too. On a recent flight to the US I couldn't see my little tv screen because the person infront of me reclined their seat, causing a glare. I couldn't see anything. On top of that, I had a coffee on my tray that ended up being knocked when he actually pressed the button, the seat shot backwards knocking it. I also couldn't use half the tray.

Its so annoying. I never recline my seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The people I hate most are the ones who refuse to turn off their phones/Blackberrys - it just reeks of thinking you're more important than anyone else on the plane. Turn the effin thing off, people can do without contacting you for two hours.

The reclining issue is something that will always just go in circles, because those who recline see it as their right, those who don't hate the recliners, but the recliners always win, because they're the ones who put their seat back and there isn't much the others can do. Personally, I feel irrational hatred towards anyone who puts the seat back on a short flight because (a) I'm tall and my knees get stuck and (b) I'm a nervous flyer and it makes it so much worse when the seat in front gets 5 inches closer to my face! But I know it's their right to do it so I have to get on with it (a.k.a. sit there seething with rage :p).

But I do think people should turn around and check what the person behind them is doing before reclining. On some planes, the seats jerk back, meaning if the person behind you has their head on the table (trying to sleep) you smack them hard on the skull. Or you spill the coffee they have on the table, or knock their book/gaming device/computer off it.

Unfortunately, flying has become such a hassle these days that common courtesy goes out the window :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement