Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Plane habits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    Lol just floy forst class goys

Do you get Heino on it? Haw haw haw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

I hate the smell of Aeroplane food it is disgusting. I flew from London to Singapore on a 19 hour flight when I was 11 and couldn't eat a thing the smell was horrendous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Because children could never need to travel on a plane for life saving operations or anything :rolleyes:

Babies are a lot easier to deal with than 3-6 year olds too, since they seem to get excited about their shadow. Babies just eat, sleep and poop intermittently.

I find there are more annoying adults than children on flights personally.

I would ban adults, but they pay and are mildly less annoying than babies.

If you are bringing a baby on board for health reasons, I want to see a doctor's note. Then shut that baby up and sit near the engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

People who complain about people reclining their seats are díckheads. There I said it.
    Got to love all those comments that say people who do it are going to get their seat kicked for the entire flight. What are you, a 5 year old? Grow up a bit. I'd say you hardly even flinch, instead just sit there sulking. Anybody who kicks my seat is going to be told to cop on by myself. And I certainly wont be bringing it forward if you do. If you're 6+ foot, spend the €10 for extra leg room seats. If its only a 2 hour flight then put up with it like the rest of us.

ah yes, but don't you get offended with the person at the back of you who is now pinned in so that you can rest your head, tries to maneuver into a more comfortable position and grabs the back of your seat for leverage, accidentally grabbing a piece of your hair in his fingers and dragging - its not his fault you see....its just that he cannot actually move without hanging onto the chair in front what with there being no room for him there.

so yes, of course recline your seat - you are entitled to do so, but remember the person behind you also has the entitlement to maneuver himself to get comfortable.

whats good for the goose..and all that

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

One stupid habit that annoys me is when people who pass through the security scanner to get their tray, instead of taking it from the conveyor they stop there and pull on coats, belts, boots etc.
    I'll be taking a flight this evening and I'll be watching out for yis!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Just got off a flight where two aul fellas had a row over...reclining seats! Was only a short flight too. Guy who wanted to recline had the seat down before we had even taken off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

stinkle wrote: »
    Guy who wanted to recline had the seat down before we had even taken off.

Well the crew should have intervened there. It has to be upright for take off and landing.

gramar wrote: »
    One stupid habit that annoys me is when people who pass through the security scanner to get their tray, instead of taking it from the conveyor they stop there and pull on coats, belts, boots etc.
    I'll be taking a flight this evening and I'll be watching out for yis!

Yes. I find being surrounded by retards at security is the most frustrating part of the airport. I stand there grinding my teeth.

Now that Aer Lingus gold circle members are allowed use the fast track lane in Dublin, it's way better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Well the crew should have intervened there. It has to be upright for take off and landing.
    I agree - think the disgruntled passenger was trying to explain that. I couldmt hear the whole thing but no flight attendants were called so maybe he cooperated. They were still arguing when we landed though, it was quite funny for a 50 min flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Cork radio presentrs jerking off

• Advertisement

Peoples behaviour at the airport is equally annoying as their behaviour on the flight and it begins as soon as you arrive.

Parking, checking in among others can be frustating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭seanbmc

Have a bit of consideration for the person behind, if they're tall maybe live without the recliner for once.

If not feel the wrath of my knee up your arse for the entire flight.

seanbmc wrote: »
    Have a bit of consideration for the person behind, if they're tall maybe live without the reclined for once.

If not feel the wrath of my knee up your arse for the entire flight.

I'm tall and have arthritic knees. If someone reclines a chair on my arthritis they usually are met with a fairly stern warning along the lines that if they recline the chair on my knees ever again i'll punch them in the face.If they do it after I've punched them I should be allowed to kill them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

I'm tall and have arthritic knees. If someone reclines a chair on my arthritis they usually are met with a fairly stern warning along the lines that if they recline the chair on my knees ever again i'll punch them in the face.If they do it after I've punched them I should be allowed to kill them

So in other words you condone scumbag behavior? Your story is untrue on the grounds that its perfectly reasonable to recline your chair, they don't go back far enough to actually pressurise peoples legs if that person is sitting upright and the fact that you'd get arrested for threatening anyone with violence on a plane.

Giruilla wrote: »
    So in other words you condone scumbag behavior? Your story is untrue on the grounds that its perfectly reasonable to recline your chair, they don't go back far enough to actually pressurise peoples legs if that person is sitting upright and the fact that you'd get arrested for threatening anyone with violence on a plane.

so are you saying that the person behind you has to sit upright so you can recline your chair. Thats not fair now really is it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

so are you saying that the person behind you has to sit upright so you can recline your chair. Thats not fair now really is it.

They too can reline if they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Is anyone else terrified of the toilet flush? its so loud it makes me jump every time. I open the door, flush and run halfway up the plane before it goes off.

I also f*cking love plane food. I know everyone else hates it, I can't get enough of it.

Anyone ever use a sick bag? never seen anyone actually use one...thankfully.

not me personally but the young fella had a 24 hour bug the morning we flew out to hnl last october. The poor kid spent from dublin to almost LA puking (thank feck he's a quiet puker (not like me) think he ended up going through 6/8 bags on the la flight. BA staff were amazing don't think any of the other passengers even really knew either

I always wondered why couldn't an airline have better seats and a little more legroom in them and charge you more than other airlines?
    Like I wouldn't mind spending 100-200eur more for a long flight if I was to get better seats and little more room.

Its like either pay the economy rate for **** cramped uncomfortable seats you can't do anything apart from stare at the tiny monitor in front of you in or pay a ridiculous price for the business seats which are just big fat seats with more legroom or pay a monumentally ridiculous price for first class which is just excessive.

Why can't there be something in between business and economy or why can't they make economy less **** by taking out a few rows of seats to spread them out a bit more so its less cramped and ****ty and charge everyone a bit more instead??

There is it was generally called premium economy and the seat pitch would generally change by a couple of inches. can vary drastically https://www.google.ie/#hl=en&gs_rn=12&gs_ri=psy-ab&tok=99hwLHITNrMByO8uuoU-vg&cp=28&gs_id=32&xhr=t&q=difference+between+economy+and+premium+economy&es_nrs=true&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=difference+between+economy+a&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.46471029,d.ZG4&fp=f2db8e910afc97d1&biw=1440&bih=839

unless they are at the back of the plane with only a wall to comfort them...

• Advertisement

Tippex wrote: »
    not me personally but the young fella had a 24 hour bug the morning we flew out to hnl last october. The poor kid spent from dublin to almost LA puking (thank feck he's a quiet puker (not like me) think he ended up going through 6/8 bags on the la flight. BA staff were amazing don't think any of the other passengers even really knew either

Great, those gastro bugs are highly contagious. He probably infected 300 people. Bon voyage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Jake1 wrote: »
    unless they are at the back of the plane with only a wall to comfort them...

Should have checked in earlier then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

On long haul flights most people will recline. The only way to survive the misery out is booze and medication. A bit of chair bumping is inevitable when you get up and walk around. The person reclining has no more right to expect not to be bumped around a bit by the person behind than the person behind has a right not to have the chair in front reclined into their lap. Blame the airlines...get your hands on some Xanax and suck it up. Short haul, not worth the gurning that goes on. Read a magazine and think happy thoughts.

I would rather put up with the cramped space from a chair reclined back in front than a drunken eejit, long winded chatterbox or worse still the oversized passengers who don´t into one seat and end up spilling into mine. I am talking about the real porkers here who would have trouble fitting into one seat, wedge themselves into one and end up with their excess draipsing into my space...for 14 hrs of torture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Tippex wrote: »

All good if you can afford it. Generally more than 30% extra which is a lot on long haul, plus you need to be quick as these seats sell out v quickly on some routes and are very limited in supply

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Great, those gastro bugs are highly contagious. He probably infected 300 people. Bon voyage!

and tell me what exactly you would have done?
    Would you have cancelled? would have been out of pocket over 4k and then disappointing my missus / child and myself
    he started puking about 2 hours before the Dublin flight so we had put it down to excitement we only figured it was a bug when the puking continued on the ba flight.

There is no travel insurance that would pay out for cancelling due to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭noxqs

Clapping when landing - nothing more toe cringing than that. Happens like clockwork on any Ryanair flight to any southern european destinations.

Stop it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Have you considering paying for the 1st or emergency rows to protect yourself?

Thank god and seat-designers for newer seats that don't actually recline but they move the based and back cushion outwards, so it feels like its reclined but you haven't infringed on any other passengers space.

Anyone ever use a sick bag? Yep, all the way from Seattle to New York, thanks to Cinco De Mayo day.

As for crying babies, if they annoy you, try using some foam earplugs, they cut the noise down.

My worst hatred about flying is having to share an aircraft with "smelly people", unfortunately in a lot of cases we can't blame them as we carry a lot of deportees who haven't seen a shower in months. We once had a Captain who diverted because of the extreme smell, he was 2 hours into a 6 hour flight and refused to go any further.

smurfjed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The tray also has to be flat to put the food on it so the seats have to be upright

The angle of the tray is not affected by the seat infront reclining (sure the distance is reduced, but the trays are designed so that they do not move when the seat in front moves)

maybe they don't want to - does that still mean that they have to sit upright so that you have the "right" to recline.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

GreeBo wrote: »
    The angle of the tray is not affected by the seat infront reclining (sure the distance is reduced, but the trays are designed so that they do not move when the seat in front moves)

I think a lot of the anti seat recliners are over stating their case.

1) As mentioned previously, the trays are generally connected to the base of the seat and not the bit that reclines, so reclining the seat has no effect on the tray.

2) As mentioned previously, the screens in the back of the seat usually tilt to compensate for a reclined seat

3) As mentioned previously, the seats generally have a centre of rotation above the knee level, so the bottom of the seat actually moves forward, and the top of the seat moves backward, so the person at the back still has the same leg room. They have a seat right in front of their face, and no room for a laptop on the tray, but the leg room has actually increased or stayed the same.

4) As mentioned previously by tall people, people over 6ft have no problem with leg room if they sit up straight. Of course, if they don't want to be sitting straight up they can also recline.

5) Assuming a normal distribution of height, there can't be that many people that are tall enough to be disturbed by reclining seats. Sure there are some, but not more than 10% (guessing - I don't have height data to hand, but I'm sure the airline seat designers did).

Of course there are exceptions, such as old planes with crappy seat designs, but in general the seat engineer has designed the seat with everyone's comfort in mind.

maybe they don't want to - does that still mean that they have to sit upright so that you have the "right" to recline.

Reclining the seat would have the same effect as slouching in their seat. Actually they'd be better off to recline as their back would have more lumbar support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I love a good clap at the end... The relief!

Personaly I think the passengers should all clap before he takes off, it might keep him focused.:cool:

DrumSteve wrote: »
    On my way over to Canada the chap in the seat aisle beside me covered himself in the blanket and proceeded to masturbate for the majority of the flight.

Did he have a Cork accent?;)

Heckler wrote: »
    Preflight, the tools who spend 20+ mins in a security queue and only when they get called start to remove belts, loosen shoes, organise phones, coins, pocket ****. **** of the highest order.

I hate that too, I usually remove the belt and loosen the shoes the day before!:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

starWave wrote: »
    I think a lot of the anti seat recliners are over stating their case.

1) As mentioned previously, the trays are generally connected to the base of the seat and not the bit that reclines, so reclining the seat has no effect on the tray.

2) As mentioned previously, the screens in the back of the seat usually tilt to compensate for a reclined seat

3) As mentioned previously, the seats generally have a centre of rotation above the knee level, so the bottom of the seat actually moves forward, and the top of the seat moves backward, so the person at the back still has the same leg room. They have a seat right in front of their face, and no room for a laptop on the tray, but the leg room has actually increased or stayed the same.

4) As mentioned previously by tall people, people over 6ft have no problem with leg room if they sit up straight. Of course, if they don't want to be sitting straight up they can also recline.

5) Assuming a normal distribution of height, there can't be that many people that are tall enough to be disturbed by reclining seats. Sure there are some, but not more than 10% (guessing - I don't have height data to hand, but I'm sure the airline seat designers did).

Of course there are exceptions, such as old planes with crappy seat designs, but in general the seat engineer has designed the seat with everyone's comfort in mind.

Well put. This whole 'I'm tall and the reclining hurts my knees' hard man act is a total myth.
    The only reason people don't like the seats being reclined is because psychologically they feel space which they 'owned' after first sitting down - and they became accustomed to - has been taken away from them by someone with an apparent audacity in doing so.
    Its pathetic and anyone who would act provocatively in such a situation is nothing other than a scumbag.

Reclining the seat would have the same effect as slouching in their seat. Actually they'd be better off to recline as their back would have more lumbar support.

so why don't you just slouch then.....saves a lot of hassle. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

^ Not really, it comes down to basic manners. Would you like it if you were a tall person already somewhat cramped in the seat and the person ahead of you just reclined right on your lap without even looking behind to see if they were eating/reading/had their head in the way etc? I doubt you would its called having common courtesy. If you asked someone behind you is it ok if i recline for an hour or two at least you are being nice about it and they can tolerate it but someone who just hits recline mindlessly is the real scumbag. I cant believe how many people here think its 100% OK to just recline on someone behind them without even asking out of decency first and then crying "Its designed that way" like a pouty 12 yr old when challenged on it. Jesus, people are right scumbags. :rolleyes:

so why don't you just slouch then.....saves a lot of hassle. :D

Why don't you accept that seats recline, and save us the hassle of your childish arguments ;)

Why don't you accept that seats recline, and save us the hassle of your childish arguments ;)

not argueing, just wondering why you wouldn't slouch yourself if you say it is the same as reclining the seat. ;)

not argueing, just wondering why you wouldn't slouch yourself if you say it is the same as reclining the seat. ;)

if the person at the rear is slouching, and the their knees are hitting the seat in front, they could just recline the seat, give their back some support, while still maintaining the comfort of their original slouch.

Its the same effect in terms of space, leg room and comfort, with the exception that in one case your spine is supported by the reclined seat, and in the other case, your slouch could be inducing a bad curvature in your spine.

Why would the person in front slouch in the first place, when they have a perfectly good chair to recline on, and support the curvature of their spine.

In regards to your original question, no they don't have to sit upright so the person in front can recline. They have the option to sit upright or recline the seat. Then everybody is better off and nobody is damaging their spine by slouching.

I don't see why everyone is bringing rights and responsibilities into the debate. If your knees are hitting the seat in front when you slouch, then stop slouching. If you're uncomfortable, recline the seat in a courteous manner, i.e. not whacking the person behind with it or spilling their coffee.

The engineers who design these seats take ergonomics into account. They didn't just randomly make the seat recline so the person in front could piss off the person behind.

^ Not really, it comes down to basic manners. Would you like it if you were a tall person already somewhat cramped in the seat and the person ahead of you just reclined right on your lap without even looking behind to see if they were eating/reading/had their head in the way etc? I doubt you would its called having common courtesy. If you asked someone behind you is it ok if i recline for an hour or two at least you are being nice about it and they can tolerate it but someone who just hits recline mindlessly is the real scumbag. I cant believe how many people here think its 100% OK to just recline on someone behind them without even asking out of decency first and then crying "Its designed that way" like a pouty 12 yr old when challenged on it. Jesus, people are right scumbags. :rolleyes:

Agree with you on the courtesy to put it back slowly. Nobody deserves to get whacked by a seat.

I see no reason to ask though, as the tray is not affected by the reclined seat, and the seat is only moving back 2 or 3 inches.

If you're tall, airplane seats are one of the disadvantages of height.
    Reclining the seat doen't actually take away any of your leg room, as the pivot point is one quarter way up the seat above knee level, on modern planes at least. If you're so tall that your knees are pressed up against the seat in front, then you can always pay for extra leg room, or get the aisle seat,and put one knee out at the side.

I fly at least twice a month, and nobody has ever asked me if they can recline their seat in front of me. It might inconvenience me if I was working on my laptop on the tray, but otherwise, the only effect on me is the chair in front is 3 inches closer to my face.

Seems like a lot of peole here are mistaking the feeling of having something uncomfortably close to their face, with something uncomfortably touching their knees.

• Advertisement

Agree with you on the courtesy to put it back slowly. Nobody deserves to get whacked by a seat.

I see no reason to ask though, as the tray is not affected by the reclined seat, and the seat is only moving back 2 or 3 inches.

If you're tall, airplanse seats are one of the disadvantages of height.
    Reclining the seat doen't actually take away any of your leg room, as the pivot point is one quarter way up the seat above knee level, on modern planes at least. If you're so tall that your knees are pressed up against the seat in front, then you can always pay for extra leg room, or get the aisle seat,and put one knee out at the side.

I fly at least twice a month, and nobody has ever asked me if they can recline their seat in front of me. It might in convenience me if I was on the laptop, but otherwise, the only effect on me is the chair is 3 inches closer to my face.

the tray is affected by the recline in fact. It might stay "straight" but it is pushed further into the person sitting behind.

really people should be a bit more courteous to each other - if you want to recline go get a business class seat and really recline - as you said yourself starwarz

Reclining the seat would have the same effect as slouching in their seat.

so maybe if everybody slouched a little the problem would be solved

the tray is affected by the recline in fact. It might stay "straight" but it is pushed further into the person sitting behind.

really people should be a bit more courteous to each other - if you want to recline go get a business class seat and really recline - as you said yourself starwarz

Reclining the seat would have the same effect as slouching in their seat.

so maybe if everybody slouched a little the problem would be solved

How is the tray pushed into the person? The trays usually have a slide on them to pull them closer to you so you can eat in comfort. The reclined seat doesn't even touch the tray. The tray hinge is below the cushion of the seat in front. Ok maybe some regional aircraft have less modern seats, and the tray is directly connected to the seat, but I wouldn't describe it as being pushed into you. It might be closer to you, but its unlikely to actually touch you.

Regarding the slouching, I see you're going to quote me on one line, since I didn't answer initially in courtroom style technical detail, and when I do go into detail, you just re-hash the same old quote. I suppose thats typical of AH, and I won't bother debating on it anymore, since you have the logical aptitude of a 5 year old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

I think on all this reclining seat issue, we might want to be adding the airline and maybe year of flight(or of plane if you can find that out XD..)

because I know some of the more modern planes have improved on this

I think on all this reclining seat issue, we might want to be adding the airline and maybe year of flight(or of plane if you can find that out XD..)

because I know some of the more modern planes have improved on this

Good point, I reference my experience and posts to the Aer Lingus A320's. The reclined seats don't affect knee room or the trays.

Its been a while since I was on the Aer Arann ATR's, but I think they had a less modern design, and I forget the make of the Air France/CityJet planes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭SicklySweet

I only fly once a year, (thank God, judging by a few of you :P ) but for the last two years, i've sat behind a child..................who's parent would recline the childs seat all the way back. What the actual fook! Surely they're small enough to lift the headrest and lay horizontally? ??? Or curl up into a ball? Or something. My sister used to put the tray down and have her arms folded and would sleep on the tray.

I'm also one of those prícks who rest their knees up on the back of the seat up front. Not only do i find it most comfortable for me, (i like resting my book on my thighs, and since my sight is bad, i need to rest my knees so my thighs are closer to my body) but I'd actually like a warning that the person in front is reclining their seat. When i think they're reclined enough (comfort for BOTH of us) i'll hold my knees there.

My mum loudly complains until the person in front feels so uncomfortable, they'll recline back up. Embarrassing :p

Compromise is a wonderful thing fellow Boardsies :)

I'm also one of those prícks who rest their knees up on the back of the seat up front. Not only do i find it most comfortable for me, (i like resting my book on my thighs, and since my sight is bad, i need to rest my knees so my thighs are closer to my body) :)

Thats the worst yet. Nothing worse than a knee in the spine. I sit like that on buses, but only when there is no one in the seat in front. Even if the seat is moulded plastic, you can still feel the knee digging into your spine.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pingi

My last long haul flight was an over night job leaving New York in the night arriving in Dublin in the morning.

Anyways person in front of my reclined their seat after the meal and went to sleep, it was a bit cramped and I couldn't get comfortable to sleep so after a while I reclined my seat and problem solved. Guy behind me (fully grown man) kicked my chair and sighed loudly for about an hour. I know which one of the two I thought was the d*ck

Thing is i'm very non confrontational so if he asked me politely to put the seat back I would have but I wasn't going to do him any favors for acting like a spoiled child in a huff.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I forget the make of the Air France/CityJet planes.

They use RJ85s. I despise those planes. I have to go to Paris occasionally for work, and because of the departure times being more suitable I always end up using CityJet. I really wish that Air France would shell out for a couple of decent planes for them.

Zaph wrote: »
    They use RJ85s. I despise those planes. I have to go to Paris occasionally for work, and because of the departure times being more suitable I always end up using CityJet. I really wish that Air France would shell out for a couple of decent planes for them.

I always take Aer Lingus to Paris, because I can't stand that shuttle bus to the City Jet plane. And they charge a flat rate of €300 if you book single.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,187 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Does anyone really pay attention to the safety announcement in the plane??

Yes, and everyone should! It annoys me when people talk over the announcement and don't pay attention, sheer ignorance is all that is! Again is common courtesy, to the crew and to your fellow passengers.

Advertisement