Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Plane habits

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭jackal

really people should be a bit more courteous to each other - if you want to recline go get a business class seat and really recline - as you said yourself starwarz

If I want a business class seat I will buy one. However because I have bought a standard reclining seat, I don't need to spend 3 or 4 times the price so your precious knees are untouched.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭JD DABA

wtf is it with flying that turns people into angsty teenage girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Tazium

Giruilla wrote: »
    Well put. This whole 'I'm tall and the reclining hurts my knees' hard man act is a total myth.
    The only reason people don't like the seats being reclined is because psychologically they feel space which they 'owned' after first sitting down - and they became accustomed to - has been taken away from them by someone with an apparent audacity in doing so.
    Its pathetic and anyone who would act provocatively in such a situation is nothing other than a scumbag.

You sir are very certainly a short arse. Being tall isn't a choice, reclining your seat is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Let's all be thankful that plane seats only move back a max of 3-5in! Me & my friend took a four-hour bus journey across the south of Spain last year and the guy in front reclined his seat so far back that my friend couldn't even cross her legs one over the other (the seat back was so close to her knees). The d*ckhead got off two hours into the journey and left the seat down. I tried to lean over to push it back up and ended up smacking myself in the ribs :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 40 Eunan Plumb

gubbie wrote: »
    I think mostly you.

I really like when people have backpacks because they're more aware of them than wheelie bags plus you never get them suddenly stopping when they come to stairs

"I think mostly you " :confused:

No my friend they are not aware of them ...that's my point.

Saw a mature lady clear half a shelf in a shop in T2 because she had not factored in the huge rucksack on her back.

They don't stop suddenly at "stairs" they congregate at the end of escalators with the freekin backpacs laid out around them blocking the business traveller form getting to their gate in time.

Lice !:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Giruilla wrote: »
    So in other words you condone scumbag behavior? Your story is untrue on the grounds that its perfectly reasonable to recline your chair, they don't go back far enough to actually pressurise peoples legs if that person is sitting upright and the fact that you'd get arrested for threatening anyone with violence on a plane.

I think someone took my post a little too seriously didnt they?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

jackal wrote: »
    If I want a business class seat I will buy one. However because I have bought a standard reclining seat, I don't need to spend 3 or 4 times the price so your precious knees are untouched.

as I said, you are entitled to recline the inch or two if you feel the need, but don't be surprised if the person behind you decides to pin his knees up agains the back of your chair, or accidentally "catch" your hair while standing up to go to the loo......

whats good for the goose.....

courtesy is a lovely thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I do a lot of long-haul travel, very occasionally in business but the majority in economy.

In my experience, you're more likely to suffer irritation from those sat next to you than those in front - folks who don't quite get the concept of personal space being limited to the seat they've paid for. Almost as if they were at home, they splay their pillows, headphones , blankets and limbs all over the place.

Another gripe which irks more than it possibly should are ladies who bring hand-baggage on-board, but are then physically incapable of shifting it into overhead bins without assistance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm still baffled by some of the attitudes to seat reclining on here.

How you can condone people putting knees into other peoples backs or pulling their hair is beyond me.
    I mean you do realise that you are (supposed to be) grown adults and yet you are sulking and throwing an internet warrior hissy fit, right?

Also, if you think the person in front shouldnt recline if their is a tall person behind them then tall people should only ever sit in the front rows as otherwise no body on the plan can recline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

This thread is the very epitome of why I need prescription drugs and alcohol to fly long distance in economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

GreeBo wrote: »

How you can condone people putting knees into other peoples backs or pulling their hair is beyond me.
    I mean you do realise that you are (supposed to be) grown adults and yet you are sulking and throwing an internet warrior hissy fit, right?

Also, if you think the person in front shouldnt recline if their is a tall person behind them then tall people should only ever sit in the front rows as otherwise no body on the plan can recline.

Ideally yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,743 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Its basic manners, I think people can recline yes but be aware of people behind you, its 100% common decency. A lot of people dont have that. Personally I would always check behind me to see if that person is eating/bending over etc and ask is it ok to recline for a while. I would think someone who hits recline, especially on a tall person, without even thinking about it, is nothing short of an ignorant pr!ck. Why should tall people be penalised, and its not always possible to pick the best seats when booking. Just dont encroach on peoples space, its called decency and manners. Very simple.

Ush1 wrote: »
    Ideally yes.

tl;dr

I'm a lanky bastard and want exeryone else to be uncomfortable because I am?

Its basic manners, I think people can recline yes but be aware of people behind you, its 100% common decency. A lot of people dont have that. Personally I would always check behind me to see if that person is eating/bending over etc and ask is it ok to recline for a while. I would think someone who hits recline, especially on a tall person, without even thinking about it, is nothing short of an ignorant pr!ck. Why should tall people be penalised, and its not always possible to pick the best seats when booking. Just dont encroach on peoples space, its called decency and manners. Very simple.

I think everyone on here agrees that you dont just recline like its an ejector seat and that you sit upright during meal service, but after that if I want to recline, I recline.

It's not *your* fricken space!

Also you speak of decency and manners and yet we have people deliberately pulling peoples hair, hitting their heads and kneeing them in the back....

some people might say that the person reclining has no thought or courtesy for his fellow passengers, as long as he's okay and comfortable. Why is one person's comfort more important than another's?

some people might say that the person reclining has no thought or courtesy for his fellow passengers, as long as he's okay and comfortable. Why is one person's comfort more important than another's?

One person is using the seat as its designed, the other is deliberately making the other uncomfortable with no rights to do so. There is no *right* to those inches of head space, there is a right however to use your seat as you see fit.

What if dont like the smell of fish, would you be ok with me preventing you from eating the fish for your meal?
    Same deal.

Its basic manners, I think people can recline yes but be aware of people behind you, its 100% common decency. A lot of people dont have that. Personally I would always check behind me to see if that person is eating/bending over etc and ask is it ok to recline for a while. I would think someone who hits recline, especially on a tall person, without even thinking about it, is nothing short of an ignorant pr!ck.

You're in the absolute minority in asking permission to put your seat back, that just doesn't happen as a matter of course.

I'm a relatively tall guy (6'2") and have no issues with folks in front reclining on long-haul jaunts - it doesn't cripple me by any means and it's their seat. I will ask them to shift forward at mealtimes & that's never proved an issue tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's not about reclining or not reclining really, it's about good manners and being aware of your surroundings.

Are you entitled to recline your seat? of course you are...

Should you simply hit the button and launch the seat backwards without taking into account that someone is behind you? No - that's simply rude and not paying attention..

Take a quick look over your shoulder , check to see that the person behind isn't using the tray or leaning forward etc. and then slowly recline giving everyone the chance to adjust to the new set-up...

And of course , don't recline the seat at all during food service...

Basically - Just pay attention........please!!

I ahve been on a few long distance flights, and I have been asked a few times times to move up my seat during service times by the trolly dollies. no major problem with it, and I dont think that the seat can actually recline that much to cause a problem to some behind me, i have always been able to read a book at arms lenght when the seat in front was reclined.

allibastor wrote: »
    I ahve been on a few long distance flights, and I have been asked a few times times to move up my seat during service times by the trolly dollies. no major problem with it, and I dont think that the seat can actually recline that much to cause a problem to some behind me, i have always been able to read a book at arms lenght when the seat in front was reclined.

You say you have been on a few long haul flights so surely you know the system by now- no reclined seats during service time! I dont understand why you would have had to be asked to do that more than once. Its service time, seats up, fairly simple.

tl;dr

I'm a lanky bastard and want exeryone else to be uncomfortable because I am?

I'm not lanky but find it awkward when the person in front of me reclines. I can't use the tray table, I can't watch a film on the back of the seat and I generally have a chair almost literally in my face.

I never recline my chair, even if I'm extremely tired and would love nothing more than to stretch back a bit I simply would never do it as I consider it rude.

• Advertisement

I think everyone on here agrees that you dont just recline like its an ejector seat and that you sit upright during meal service, but after that if I want to recline, I recline.

It's not *your* fricken space!

Also you speak of decency and manners and yet we have people deliberately pulling peoples hair, hitting their heads and kneeing them in the back....

that was a "scenario" - I don't think anybody has said they "deliberately " Pull someones hair, but you do have to see the other persons point of view - if they are room deprived because someone in fronts wants "comfort" you cannot blame them if they use leverage to try and move around their compromised space. Again, why should somebody have more comfort than another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

You say you have been on a few long haul flights so surely you know the system by now- no reclined seats during service time! I dont understand why you would have had to be asked to do that more than once. Its service time, seats up, fairly simple.

If your asleep dude. and the odd time I am watching a film and dont notice what they are doing. most time i have it up, just saying that when I dont have the seat up and am asked, its no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I have no problem with people reclining on night flights (by night I mean relative to the place of departure) as it reasonable to expect most people will want to put their seats back and get some sleep.

But I would consider it quite rude on short flights or during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

I don't get Ryanair flights any more. I noticed as an overweight (but not excessively so) individual that the seats are a lot narrower than any other airline. I fit comfortably in an Aer Lingus or BMI seat but last time i got a Ryanair i had to wedge myself in between the armrests. The whole way i was getting filthy looks and irritating grunts from the skinny guy next to me. I also came out in massive bruises along my hips the next day from it.

I'd like people to be aware of this the next time someone is wedged into the seat next to you on a Ryanair flight, maybe just maybe it's not their fault, but if it is and it annoys you, you can take some solace in the fact that it's much more uncomfortable for them.

Also I hate when they wont put the bunny back in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Knasher wrote: »
    But I would consider it quite rude on short flights or during the day.

Fail to see how it's rude to use a seat in the way it was designed to. Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it rude.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭starWave

I'm not lanky but find it awkward when the person in front of me reclines. I can't use the tray table, I can't watch a film on the back of the seat and I generally have a chair almost literally in my face.

I never recline my chair, even if I'm extremely tired and would love nothing more than to stretch back a bit I simply would never do it as I consider it rude.

How does the reclined seat affect the functionality of your tray?
    Does the screen in the back of the seat not have its own tilt on most planes?

I don't get Ryanair flights any more. I noticed as an overweight (but not excessively so) individual that the seats are a lot narrower than any other airline. I fit comfortably in an Aer Lingus or BMI seat but last time i got a Ryanair i had to wedge myself in between the armrests. The whole way i was getting filthy looks and irritating grunts from the skinny guy next to me. I also came out in massive bruises along my hips the next day from it.

I'd like people to be aware of this the next time someone is wedged into the seat next to you on a Ryanair flight, maybe just maybe it's not their fault, but if it is and it annoys you, you can take some solace in the fact that it's much more uncomfortable for them.

I was crammed next to a very overweight woman on my last flight and I noticed she was barely able to move for the flight because her arms were wedged together, feet cramped and her belt was tight on her. I know the whole debate on overweight people and tickets is another story but the planes dont seem to have caught up with the obesity crisis. The majority of plane seats are designed for your average person no more no less, well what about the overweight people of which there are more than slim people these days!?

Clothes compaines, theatre seats and cinema seats have all got with the times but most planes are designed for the 1980s fit of person!

Again, why should somebody have more comfort than another.

The choice to recline or not is open to virtually all passengers - seems an eminently fair and reasonable solution to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Locker10a wrote: »
    Yes, and everyone should! It annoys me when people talk over the announcement and don't pay attention, sheer ignorance is all that is! Again is common courtesy, to the crew and to your fellow passengers.

Talking over it is one thing, but I never pay attention, its always the same anyway, bored stewardess showing you how to close a seatbelt and pointing to massive clearly marked emergency doors. I usually have my nose in a book.

If you dont know how to fasten a seatbelt you shouldnt be allowed out of the house on your own. "in the event of a fire of the plane hurtling towards the ocean calmly file towards the exits" of course that would happen in a real life situation, nobody calmly walks anywhere in emergencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Clothes compaines, theatre seats and cinema seats have all got with the times but most planes are designed for the 1980s fit of person!

I don't want to sound like a smug bastard but if you can't fit in an average plane seat or a cinema seat you're not "a bit overweight", you're more than likely morbidly obese. The solution for that problem isn't to reconfigure society but for people to lose weight before they die of a heart attack at 55.

The majority of plane seats are designed for your average person no more no less, well what about the overweight people of which there are more than slim people these days!?

If you continue that trend, next thing you will be asking for those hover seats from the Wall-e movie to be built.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I was crammed next to a very overweight woman on my last flight and I noticed she was barely able to move for the flight because her arms were wedged together, feet cramped and her belt was tight on her. I know the whole debate on overweight people and tickets is another story but the planes dont seem to have caught up with the obesity crisis. The majority of plane seats are designed for your average person no more no less, well what about the overweight people of which there are more than slim people these days!?

Not enough upvotes in the world for this post.

I'm average weight or below, but fairly wide across the shoulders and normal economy seats are quite uncomfortable to me. I'm not very tall either - about 5'11 - and yet I have problems with my legs fitting with certain seat pitches. I'd hate to think what it's like for anyone taller/heavier than average.

Time for aircraft designers / airlines to adapt to reality, rather than vice versa.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    The choice to recline or not is open to virtually all passengers - seems an eminently fair and reasonable solution to me.

absolutely agree - and the choice of the person behind the recliner is to do whatever he/see needs to be just as comfortable as the recliner - if that means maneuvering his legs position into a comfortable position then so be it. The banging of the back of the seat, accidentally catching of hair while trying to makeover, squeezing/pinching of legs, and pain are all just a sign of getting comfortable on BOTH sides...as I say, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. No one person should be entitled to more comfort than another unless they want to upgrade.

starWave wrote: »
    How does the reclined seat affect the functionality of your tray?
    Does the screen in the back of the seat not have its own tilt on most planes?

Because instead of being roughly a 90 degree angle it has become roughly maybe a 60 degree angle making it a lot more difficult to have items on.

Screen didn't have a tilt on any of the planes I've been on but to be honest I wouldn't fly very often.

Because instead of being roughly a 90 degree angle it has become roughly maybe a 60 degree angle making it a lot more difficult to have items on.

I've never seen a plane seat that reclines 30 degrees. Maybe in first class, but not in the main economy section. And generally the tray is connected to the base of the seat, and not the reclining part, so it maintains its horizontal position regardless of the reclined seat.

• Advertisement

I've never seen a plane seat that reclines 30 degrees. Maybe in first class, but not in the main economy section. And generally the tray is connected to the base of the seat, and not the reclining part, so it maintains its horizontal position regardless of the reclined seat.

Base of the seat? Any plane I've been on the tray table is part of the main back of the chair which is effected when the seat reclines:

http://cruisinaltitude.com/files/2012/06/flyscootseatrecline.jpg

Why else would they ask people to make the chairs upright to serve food?

Screen didn't have a tilt on any of the planes I've been on but to be honest I wouldn't fly very often.

Trays havent moved with seats since about 1972, I suggest that you are wrong on this one.

If you dont fit in a seat, pay for more a bigger seat with more room.
    Giving out that plabne designers havent moved with the times is rubbish, there is no necessity for people on average to suddenly start getting bigger other that eating more. Planes shouldnt support this by making seats bigger. This would substantially increase the price for everyone.

Base of the seat? Any plane I've been on the tray table is part of the main back of the chair which is effected when the seat reclines:

http://cruisinaltitude.com/files/2012/06/flyscootseatrecline.jpg

Why else would they ask people to make the chairs upright to serve food?

as your image shows, the tray arms are on the part of the seat that doesnt move. The tray is clipped into the seat back but thats irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Also I hate when they wont put the bunny back in the box.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Last time I was on a plane was when I was coming home from Santa Ponsa. Lovely weather as we were boarding the plane and we were all in great half-drunk spirits.

Then the children and babies started crying..........oh well, can't do much about that except put on my headphones to drown out the sounds.

Then the children started vomiting which resulted in other people starting to vomit...............oh well, can't do much about that except turn my music up even more.

Then the smell of vomit eventually over-powered the plane until we were a flying tin bile bucket...........oh well, can't do much about that except hold my breath for the rest of the flight.

Mmmm, acidic carroty smell. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭paddyh117

FTA69 wrote: »
    I don't want to sound like a smug bastard but if you can't fit in an average plane seat or a cinema seat you're not "a bit overweight", you're more than likely morbidly obese. The solution for that problem isn't to reconfigure society but for people to lose weight before they die of a heart attack at 55.

+1.......this is a very sensible post.

the choice of the person behind the recliner is to do whatever he/see needs to be just as comfortable as the recliner - if that means maneuvering his legs position into a comfortable position then so be it. The banging of the back of the seat, accidentally catching of hair while trying to makeover, squeezing/pinching of legs, and pain are all just a sign of getting comfortable on BOTH sides...as I say, whats good for the goose is good for the gander.

A teenagers guide to air travel?

In the six years I've been flying to the U.S. on a regular basis, I've yet to witness the small type of silliness you allude to above. Rest assured, you'd most likely be met by a fairly charmless member of O'Hare's finest, who wouldn't quite share your take on petty retribution being a smart way to pass the time at 38,000ft.

if it was on the base of the seat everyone would have to sit on the floor to eat. :D

the tray is on the back of the chair in front - when the chair in front is recline, yes the tray stays horizontal but it also comes back into the person sitting there and gives that person less room to do what they want. So yes, it stays horizontal but gets push up towards the person in the seat.

Fail to see how it's rude to use a seat in the way it was designed to. Just because you don't like something, doesn't make it rude.
    It is rude because you are doing what you please without any consideration of how it might inconvenience those around you. Just because something is designed to function in a certain way, doesn't mean you shouldn't be considerate in its use. My phone has a speaker and is designed to play music from it, but it would be still quite rude of me to use it, for example, on a bus when people around me don't necessarily want to hear the same music as I do.

One person is using the seat as its designed, the other is deliberately making the other uncomfortable with no rights to do so. There is no *right* to those inches of head space, there is a right however to use your seat as you see fit.

What if dont like the smell of fish, would you be ok with me preventing you from eating the fish for your meal?
    Same deal.

nobody is preventing anybody from doing anything - If you want to recline then do so, but bear in mind there is a human being behind you that will have to adjust him/her so that you can have your "comfort". If that person has his legs pinned to the back of your seat or has to push your chair up when he/she moves then you will just have to suffer the consequences of that, as you use your right to recline.

are you saying that only you have the right to comfort and nobody else can adjust themselves to be comfortable while you recline?

Yamanoto wrote: »
    A teenagers guide to air travel?

In the six years I've been flying to the U.S. on a regular basis, I've yet to witness the small type of silliness you allude to above. Rest assured, you'd most likely be met by a fairly charmless member of O'Hare's finest, who wouldn't quite share your take on petty retribution being a smart way to pass the time at 38,000ft.

it happens believe me - I have seen it happen. To try an make out it doesn't is the silly part.

nobody is preventing anybody from doing anything - If you want to recline then do so, but bear in mind there is a human being behind you that will have to adjust him/her so that you can have your "comfort". If that person has his legs pinned to the back of your seat or has to push your chair up when he/she moves then you will just have to suffer the consequences of that, as you use your right to recline.

are you saying that only you have the right to comfort and nobody else can adjust themselves to be comfortable while you recline?

They can adjust all they want, what they cannot do is perform petty attacks on me and my comfort.

If you need more room then recline your seat also, then the balance is restored and all the adults can continue on their merry way.

If you need more room then recline your seat also, then the balance is restored and all the adults can continue on their merry way.
    Emergency exit seats and the seats at the very back of the plane don't recline. (may not be true across all planes, but it is true on, for example, the 737s that Aer Lingus uses)

They can adjust all they want, what they cannot do is perform petty attacks on me and my comfort.

they are not attacks - they are things that happen when people have no room. Fact. A person with long legs WILL have his legs pinned to the seat in front if they have not got room space - a shorter person will need leverage to try and "get up" with limited space therefore holding onto the seat ahead - if they take a piece of hair by accident that it what it is,...an accident and an understandable one if your space is limited. So next time people when you recline your seats, don't' forget there is somebody behind you who deserves the same comfort as yourself. the "I;m reclining so you better too" is nonsense.

and as for somebody waiting at O Hare airport - for what - because the person behind you moved in their seat and upset you while your reclined into them. Hilarious.

Oh, has anybody heard of those clip gadgets that you clip onto the chair in front so the chair cannot recline - I think they were invented in the States in the late 90's.

Trays havent moved with seats since about 1972, I suggest that you are wrong on this one.

If you dont fit in a seat, pay for more a bigger seat with more room.
    Giving out that plabne designers havent moved with the times is rubbish, there is no necessity for people on average to suddenly start getting bigger other that eating more. Planes shouldnt support this by making seats bigger. This would substantially increase the price for everyone.

I fit in a seat fine, just don't want a seat in my face is all. My solution, ala Ryanair, would be to stop seats from reclining.

• Advertisement
Advertisement