Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BASKERVILLE MUZZLE DOESN'T FIT

• 15-05-2013 5:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭

I took my staffie cross into my local petshop today to try on Baskerville muzzles.. and none of them flippin fit. The ones specifically for Staffies didn't allow for his extra long hooter, and the one's not for staffies made him look like pinnochio, I then tried one for a boxer - covered his eyes - and a rottweiller - just too durn big!!! However he had a lovely time chatting up the ladies, killing the squeaky toy they gave him and generally being charming. Are there other types of muzzle that would be as good? I have a nylon one but it's not suitable for any energetic exercise, and he hates it. Also he has a black face and I'd be happier if I could get a black muzzle so he doesn't shriek 'killer dog' from a distance. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Hopefully I've uploaded a photo of him. He looks a bit sinister, but he's not!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

He is lovely.You are probably better off bringing him into a few different Pet shops to try on muzzles,rather than buying something online if he is proving difficult to get the proper size for.Most Petshops have different types of muzzles.Some have a black plastic Baskerville type or there is a nylon one with netting underneath and a strap to adjust it on the nose part.(will try to get a link for it)I don't like the full enclosed nylon muzzle as I don't think they have any room to breath or pant,even though it says they can.
    Some Petshops here sell this one http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/muzzles/159190

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Maxizoo sell black plastic basket ones.. I got one of these last week for my dog (retriever) to try and put him off trying to eat all the rotten food that's being dumped in the bushes out park :mad: - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/muzzles/129603. It's very soft and would probably blend in nicely on your guy.

That looks great. And it would be a bit more subtle than the basket one! Thanks for that.

Kukey wrote: »
    He is lovely.You are probably better off bringing him into a few different Pet shops to try on muzzles,rather than buying something online if he is proving difficult to get the proper size for.Most Petshops have different types of muzzles.Some have a black plastic Baskerville type or there is a nylon one with netting underneath and a strap to adjust it on the nose part.(will try to get a link for it)I don't like the full enclosed nylon muzzle as I don't think they have any room to breath or pant,even though it says they can.
    Some Petshops here sell this one http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/muzzles/159190

I've actually got one that's quite similar, but I can't feed him treats and I think it's a bit too restrictive. Thanks tho!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    Maxizoo sell black plastic basket ones.. I got one of these last week for my dog (retriever) to try and put him off trying to eat all the rotten food that's being dumped in the bushes out park :mad: - http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dog_collars_dog_leads/harnesses/muzzles/129603. It's very soft and would probably blend in nicely on your guy.

How muzzley is that muzzle tk? Does it keep the mouth shut to any extent? Any problems with it so far?

DBB wrote: »
    How muzzley is that muzzle tk? Does it keep the mouth shut to any extent? Any problems with it so far?

Yeah it does keep it shut - you can adjust how tight it is around the muzzle/nose so coud have it looser/tigher depending on what you need. It's going ok - he's fine with a basket muzzle but this is more restrictive so he doesn't like it but is tolerating it it longer each morning - by longer I mean an extra 30 seconds lol!! :p He doesn't try to paw it off straight away and will have a sniff etc then gets fed up with it/wants it off and glues himself to the ground but we've been getting further down the field each morning before that happens - me coaxing him and getting him and running around with him like an eejit :pac: This morning was only our third morning with it on so hopefully he'll get more comfortable with it each day. We've been practicing with treats before it goes on and one after in th evenings etc.
    Ideally this will be a stop gap until I figure a way of stopping him goung into the bushes - there's that much stuff dumped there that I can't get to him anymore to stop him eating junk or worse if he got caught up in the wire/glass/bike frames :mad: and needed saving.

tk. Did you measure for the neck strap. If I measure the muzzle then he should be size 2, but that seems to mean that he should grow a larger head, if you see what I mean... but I am only measuring from the muzzle to a point behind the ears, should I be measuring further around so that it is on the neck between the ears. I hope this make sense, but I suspect not!!

snoman wrote: »
    tk. Did you measure for the neck strap. If I measure the muzzle then he should be size 2, but that seems to mean that he should grow a larger head, if you see what I mean... but I am only measuring from the muzzle to a point behind the ears, should I be measuring further around so that it is on the neck between the ears. I hope this make sense, but I suspect not!!

LOL!! No you're no mad - I was the same measuring my guy! :P You measure to behind the ears. I got mine on Amazon - I didn't want to wait for Zooplus so ordered on Thurday evening and it was in the parcel motel on sat afternoon! Also thought it might be better for exchanging etc if I messed up the measurements ;)

Its so annoying. I've two dogs and both of them are always in between sizes. Its like when you open a map to get somewhere and the place is just where you can't see it on the fold between two pages! Grrrr!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Kukey

I have been using the muzzle band since last year on my dog,it's great as she can pant freely with it on.I got size 2 for her first but ended up getting size 3 which is a bit big but you can adjust it tighter.It also doesn't look as bad as a normal muzzle.Two different Wardens have seen it on my dog and have never commented on it.

snoman wrote: »
    Its so annoying. I've two dogs and both of them are always in between sizes. Its like when you open a map to get somewhere and the place is just where you can't see it on the fold between two pages! Grrrr!!

Are they between sizes in the muzzle strap or the neck strap? I'll measure ours later and get the real measurments - stuff like this is always a bit off imo! Ours is XL btw

His muzzle measurement is 26cm, and measurment from his muzzle to his collar is 22cm, I'd be grateful alright. I think that I would also go for the XL as I would want to have the freedom to expand the muzzle to allow for panting etc. Mine also is prone to rummaging in rubbish and eating the most disgusting tidbits. Bless him.

Right so the muzzle strap is spot in with what it says on zooplus... The neck/head stap a a different story - at it's smallest it's approx 29-30 all the way around and at it's largest approx 58.

Of course it helps if you read the post correctly - me, that is!! Thanks for that I think that the XL will be ok for him. And I can return it if not so all will not be lost. Thanks for taking the time tk123.

I had the muzzle on him earlier on a walk with my friend and her dog (I just use in one part of the park)...Well his friend went hyper and they started running around like maniacs THEN the friend was licking his face (Bailey is usually licks the other fella) THEN lol it was like they'd had a chat because his friend started tugging on the strap trying to help Bailey take it off lol!! :P

tk123 wrote: »
    I had the muzzle on him earlier on a walk with my friend and her dog (I just use in one part of the park)...Well his friend went hyper and they started running around like maniacs THEN the friend was licking his face (Bailey is usually licks the other fella) THEN lol it was like they'd had a chat because his friend started tugging on the strap trying to help Bailey take it off lol!! :P

Poor old Bailey!! I'm sure my boy will be most confused when I start putting his on. Ah well, a necessary evil.

Advertisement