Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chocolate biscuit cake too shallow

Options
  • 15-05-2013 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

I have to make a 2 tier cake by Fri. Bottom tier, CBC, and top victoria Sponge.

I have looked for a recipe for a ten inch round CBC, but other than Odlums,which I know isnt great for conversions I couldnt find much.

So, I doubled a Rachel Allen recipe for a 9inch tin, as my 10 inch tin is pretty deep. (I figured it would fill it nicely)

It barely came up 2 inches, so now after using so many ingredients, I am left with a flat bottom tier.
    Does anyone have an idea to make it a bit taller? like a layer of ganache or something. (it will be covered in sugarpaste too. )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

It would take too much ganache to add any real amount of height. I am assuming you don't have the ingredients to just add more to it?

Is it being iced? I often ice right down over the cake and board of same size to give some added height but then again you might not have spare board either.

Not much good to you now but when I want to make chocolate biscuit cake in different size tins I always break up the biscuits first and see how much it takes to fill the tin, then weigh them and calculate the recipe working from that amount of biscuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

I know it sounds weird, but I'm gonna use the CBC as a layer in the tier, and add a layer of fudge, and chocolate sponge. I christen it Chocolate fudge, biscuit cake :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I tasted pretty much exactly that at a party once, when cut the cake had a layer of chocolate biscuit on the bottom, then a fudgey chocolate filling, then a layer of sponge. It was...bizarre really. Not particularly good bizarre...

I tasted pretty much exactly that at a party once, when cut the cake had a layer of chocolate biscuit on the bottom, then a fudgey chocolate filling, then a layer of sponge. It was...bizarre really. Not particularly good bizarre...

ah feck really? I really dont care tbh at this stage, its for my sisters 21st, the sugarcraft is the most important factor, afaik. lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭phormium

I'd put a thin board between them and ice the lot together, then you can just slice around the board and separate the two cakes cakes when cutting. Reason being you wanted to give as many flavours as possible, it was the plan all along! :)

This is often done for double height cakes, there is a card division in the middle to make them easier cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

Buy a cake drum and put it under the original cake board this should give you a 2cm lift. Just use a non toxic glue like pritstick to stick it together :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

sandy_c wrote: »
    Buy a cake drum and put it under the original cake board this should give you a 2cm lift. Just use a non toxic glue like pritstick to stick it together :)

You could just put the cake directly onto the drum, no need to use two cake boards and have to be messing with sticking them together.

Thanks guys I ended up making an entirely new cake for the bottom tier. Did a chocolate madiera, it rose very well. Kept the CBC for myself. :p

Advertisement