Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiger Woods Win Sunday

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭Oilbeefhooked!

slave1 wrote: »
    Pure sour grapes and cheap PR by Chamblees, digging up old stories like that, time to move on, an apology (and who knows the sincerity) just extends his profile.

Don't agree that these rules indiscretions / oversights/ brain farts call them what you will , of Tigers during 2013 .
    Should be classed as 'old stories ' and
    Just 'moved on' from.
    Yes there over and done with and are what they are at this stage, but the fact is he has been involved in too many dubious rules situations this last season,
    To simply move on and forget about them.
    [For me personally]as great a player as he is, some of these situations leave a large question mark over his reputation,and will do henceforth.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

For Paws wrote: »
    Interesting view.

You obviously know more about Tiger's debating skills than I would.

Oh, btw, I think the usual rendition of that phrase is
    'a hot knife through butter'.

What has Chamblee said, other than in the Golf.com ratings article that inspires such disregard ?

Firstly, thanks for the English lesson, much appreciated.

Secondly, Chamblee is an absolute muppet. It's obvious he absolutely hates Tiger Woods.

and secondly, he needs to grow some balls and apologise to Tiger in person. Complete bullsh1t saying sorry over Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aarymark

This thread is a witch hunt ive played golf for years with golfers of all ages ,handicaps,rich ,poor ,educated and not so.Never once have i seen a player call foul on them selves for osalating and as for the point of entry to hazards give me a break .

aarymark wrote: »
    This thread is a witch hunt ive played golf for years with golfers of all ages ,handicaps,rich ,poor ,educated and not so.Never once have i seen a player call foul on them selves for osalating and as for the point of entry to hazards give me a break .

So do you think Brian Davis should just have said nothing when he called foul on himself,and gone on to win his first PGA event

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Davis-calls-penalty-on-himself-gives-up-shot-at?urn=golf,234963

I Agree with what you say to a certain extent,that many amatuer golfers do not own up to such small indescretions .But contrary to you, i have seen plenty instances in my golfing life where playing partners have called foul on themselves, when i was not aware of it.

The only reason you guys cry witch hunt is because you are blinkered by your blind loyalty for the man imo - if it was another golfer ,who you maybe did not hold in the same esteem, i question whether they would be receiving
    the same backing. Just sayin...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aarymark

give a rough figure how many times and how long your a golfer

its not that i agree with tigers etix just cant stand hypocrites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Firstly, thanks for the English lesson, much appreciated.

Secondly, Chamblee is an absolute muppet. It's obvious he absolutely hates Tiger Woods.

Right, a lot of highly technical information there. It may take me some time to work through the detail. But thanks for going to such depth in your answer.

Been golfing over 25 years and obviously cant give you a figure, but i have played with a very many proper by the book golfers in that time, who would without hesitation call a foul on themselves,of which i class myself as one.
    Just last week i clipped a ball in a bunker as i was addressing it and called a foul on myself, didnt have to but instictivley did!
    The bottom line is some people adhere properly to the etiquette and ethics of the rule book,and a very many dont.
    But that doesnt in the slightest excuse the no.1 player on the planet for not doing so!!

It is probably the case that a professional golfer is more likely to admit to mistakes or errors subject to penalty than amateur players because ;

The professional is subject to greater and closer scrutiny than the amateur.
    The professional is more likely to be familiar with the Rules.
    The professional's continuous involvement with the game means that anything other than a strict adherence to the Rules may affect his earning capacity.

Most of the actions subject to penalty made by golfers that I have witnessed have been as a direct result of ignorance of the Rules, and not deliberate cheating.

Right, a lot of highly technical information there. It may take me some time to work through the detail. But thanks for going to such depth in your answer.

Hang on a sec,
    Do you actually disagree that chamblee hates Tiger ?

• Advertisement

Hang on a sec,
    Do you actually disagree that chamblee hates Tiger ?

How Chamblee feels about Woods, as a golfer or as a person is not important for me. Others, like Johnny Miller, have criticised Woods in relation to the same events, but I don't see them being categorised as 'Tiger haters', nor do I hear that Woods' agent is considering suing them.

I thought that placing his own story of cheating at exams in a article about Woods was unfortunate. But I accept that he did not intend this linkage and his subsequent apology for this. His main point, that Woods has been 'cavalier with the rules' is, imo, fair.
    It's his opinion, and others are free to disagree with it.

What I find difficult to accept is that I cannot establish any history of conflict between Chamblee and Woods up until this Golf.com article.
    I have, in previous posts, asked if & what this history is, but I'd had no response, other that your 'muppet' comment.
    If you know more, and can reference it, I'd be glad to read it.

How Chamblee feels about Woods, as a golfer or as a person is not important for me. Others, like Johnny Miller, have criticised Woods in relation to the same events, but I don't see them being categorised as 'Tiger haters', nor do I hear that Woods' agent is considering suing them.

I thought that placing his own story of cheating at exams in a article about Woods was unfortunate. But I accept that he did not intend this linkage and his subsequent apology for this. His main point, that Woods has been 'cavalier with the rules' is, imo, fair.
    It's his opinion, and others are free to disagree with it.

What I find difficult to accept is that I cannot establish any history of conflict between Chamblee and Woods up until this Golf.com article.
    I have, in previous posts, asked if & what this history is, but I'd had no response, other that your 'muppet' comment.
    If you know more, and can reference it, I'd be glad to read it.

I don't know if there was conflict as such, but there has been numerous occassions where chamblee has lashed out when commentating on Woods. And he goes WAY OTT with the scrutiny compared to any other golfer. I'm sure if he spoke about Harrington the way he speaks about Woods you'd have a different opinion.
    And the man doesn't have a clue what he's talking about at times. His knowledge is not comparable to other colleagues or commentators.

I'm only familiar with (some of) his articles. I'd have to agree that he tends to be more 'argumentative' than some writers, but then that's his particular gig.
    After all, the typical golf commentary / analysis on the US TV channels is usually bland, and anything approaching even mildly contraversial tends to stand out.
    Chamblee has been scathing of other US Tour players, like Vijay Singh, but these players, and their agents & fans, have been noticeably silent in comparison to Woods'. Maybe Woods, his agents (and yes, maybe his admirers too) are a little too sensitive to any criticism.

Maybe Woods, his agents (and yes, maybe his admirers too) are a little too sensitive to any criticism.

Well, I would have thought so too, but after listening to more and more commentary from him, I do believe he is going out of his way to ridicule and put woods down. Can't get on youtube now, but there is a 7 minute video of Chamblee doing a swing analysis of woods, and he definetely goes OTT, plus he's actually saying some very incorrect things. I can't remember the exact details of it now, but you should have a listen.

I'll have ago at finding that so. In relation to swing analysis, the same swing will attract every kind of opinion from 'experts' of every kind. If Woods had the perfect swing, the question arises about why he has made changes to it. I recall Denis Pugh on Sky very politely rubbishing the swing methodology that Woods was then using.

Found this on Youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuc0bZwQpHc

Chamblee ranting on about Wood's swing

This is Chamblee (in a 7 minute piece) talking about Wood's swing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6tOJht26xM

Is this where Chamblee is 'OTT' ?

Yet another piece where Chamblee 'hates' Woods here ;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zK3_90R5xw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

It seems he has lost his sponsorship deal with EA. Will be interesting to see if he gets replaced or will it just be generic like FIFA.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/tiger-woods-ea-sports-1150888-Oct2013/

Advertisement