Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a first tattoo done

Options
  • 15-05-2013 7:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys, I posted this in the pokemon forum but angron advised to come here :p I'm looking at getting my first tattoo, a pokemon one. But I'm not very experinced with this stuff at all, so I was just wondering, where's cheap/good? Where's the best place, I'm dublin based. I want a charizard doing, I know it goes by size and all that but how much would I roughly be looking at? Thanks :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Don't look for cheap, look for good. Good tattoo's don't come cheap. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

January wrote: »
    Don't look for cheap, look for good. Good tattoo's don't come cheap. :)

And cheap tattoos don't look good. ;)

OP, your best bet would be to look at the portfolios of studios such as Hydraulix, Skin City, Spilled Ink, Colourworks, Zulu et al, and find somebody who you think is good at colour work (personally, I'd recommend Rob Mulligan in Colour Works).

Price shouldn't come into it. If you can't afford for it to be done by a good artist, wait.

We can't give you a rough price tbh, because we don't know what size it'll be, how long it'll take to do, intricacy, etc, but you're looking at an average rate of around 100 euros per hour, with most studios willing to give a set price for a piece.

Find a good artist that you like, and go in and have a chat to them before deciding.

But seriously, price should be your last consideration. Professionalism, skill, hygiene, efficiency, and so on. THEY should be your considerations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Well I have a fair bit of cash aside to get it done. But I always thought it'd be priced upon size and colour and what have you./

It is generally charged by the hour, but artists can gauge how long it'll take them in terms of intricacy, size and colour of the piece. How much have you got set aside?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

cloud493 wrote: »
    Well I have a fair bit of cash aside to get it done. But I always thought it'd be priced upon size and colour and what have you./

The price would be impacted by size alright. Your best bet would be to print the image you want done up and pop into a few studios to chat about cost/placement etc. Main thing to look out for in a studio is past work and their hygiene.

• Advertisement

400 euro. Don't think it'll be that big, but I have no idea of the price range.

Can't give you an estimate but tbh I think you'll be fine in most studios with 400 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

cloud493 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I posted this in the pokemon forum but angron advised to come here :p I'm looking at getting my first tattoo, a pokemon one. But I'm not very experinced with this stuff at all, so I was just wondering, where's cheap/good? Where's the best place, I'm dublin based. I want a charizard doing, I know it goes by size and all that but how much would I roughly be looking at? Thanks :)

Good studios would be

Snakebite
    Wildcat
    Colour works
    Skin City
    Spilled Ink
    Hydraulix
    Zulu

I know im forgetting some to :o, have a look online at portfolios pop into studios have a chat and see which one you feel comfortable with.

My own personal recommendation for that piece would be Rob Mulligan in Colour works, but Im sure Michaal in Skin City, Brian Duffy, Kris Barnas or Attila in Wildact or even Sean in Snakebite are all more than capable of doing a great job on that.

Fcuk, forgot to recommend Snakebite or Wildcat. :o:o I'm losing my memory in my old age. :pac:

I'm only thinking of a relatively small thing, for the first one anyway. On the wrist maybe. Thanks guys, great help :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement