Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions on Dun Laoghaire?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hey, I was planning on moving to Dun Laoghaire to do a full time course and wanted to ask a few questions mostly because I'd be living on a budget so it's mostly regarding cost of living.

Does anyone know?

1. Is travelling into the city center every now and then expensive by bus?

2. Are gym memberships in the vicinity expensive or can anyone recommend a decent one?

3. Is shopping for groceries expensive or average? Is there a lidl or aldi maybe.

Thanks if anyone can help with anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 entangled

Think the bus is €2.80 single. Train is something similar, maybe about 5 euro return.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 _Byron_

entangled wrote: »
    Think the bus is €2.80 single. Train is something similar, maybe about 5 euro return.

Cheers, doesn't sound bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

There is a DLR leisure center ( Bluepool ) Not far from Dun Laoghaire ( 10/15 min walk depending how fast you are ). Concession is 350e for the year, normal 450e for the year. No signing up fee. There is also a Crunch, and a gym in the Royal Marine Hotel, not sure on pricings, but i imagine they'd be pricier than the DLR one.

There is a Tesco and a supervalue and 10 min drive to an Lidl ( Pottery Road )

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    There is a DLR leisure center ( Bluepool ) Not far from Dun Laoghaire ( 10/15 min walk depending how fast you are ). Concession is 350e for the year, normal 450e for the year. No signing up fee. There is also a Crunch, and a gym in the Royal Marine Hotel, not sure on pricings, but i imagine they'd be pricier than the DLR one.

There is a Tesco and a supervalue and 10 min drive to an Lidl ( Pottery Road )

DLR looks good actually! Must call those places tomorrow.

Bit confused over something, is there a correlation between Dun Laoghaire and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Theres a large fitness centre in loughlinstown/cherrywood and a new ben Dunne gym 5 mins from that, both accessable by bus from dun laoghaire. Dun laoghaire is the town, dun laoghaire / rathdown is the local authority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

_Byron_ wrote: »
    Bit confused over something, is there a correlation between Dun Laoghaire and Dun Laoghaire-Rathdown??

Dun laoghaire is the town. DL rathdown is the council area. Dublin has 3 - fingal, Dublin south and dl rathdown county council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

You have your choice between Dublin bus route 46A to city or Dart/Train.
    If you have a Leap card the fare is €2.45 on the bus. If you plan on using more then one bus buy the Travel 90 smart card ticket works out so much cheaper.

There is Super valu in the shopping centre then tesco up the road and the usual fast food outlets and M&S , Penny and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Which college? If you're thinking of the IADT then you could rent in Kill o the grange area and you have Lidl and the 46a on your doorstep.

The other colleges are in the town centre and you have several buses and the Dart as well as Tesco etc.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Dun laoghaire is the town. DL rathdown is the council area. Dublin has 3 - fingal, Dublin south and dl rathdown county council

[pedant] Dublin actually has four; Fingal, SDCC, DLRCoCo and Dublin City Council [/pedant] :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you plan on using more then one bus buy the Travel 90 smart card ticket works out so much cheaper.
    This is €25 for 10 uses and has to used up in the year (I used to buy a fair few before price hikes, this annual limit stops me now).

This allows you get on a bus and the timer starts on your ticket, you can get another bus (or maybe more) within 90mins. I used to go into the city centre, get something quick & get the bus home again within the 90min limit.

The 90min thing can also allow other options, like nipping out in blackrock for something.

I have also seen people selling bus tickets on the street, they are like big issue sellers, I think its €2 for a journey.

I would highly recommended getting a bicycle. You can cycle to town in no time (get a good lock), and going around dun laoghaire is a lot easier on a bike, hopping on & off.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

rubadub wrote: »
    This is €25 for 10 uses and has to used up in the year (I used to buy a fair few before price hikes, this annual limit stops me now).

I still buy several Travel90 tickets in advance before price hikes and have never encountered the 'annual limit'. I believe the time limit applies to the first validation so if there's any doubt, I just make sure that every ticket get one outing within 12 months of me purchasing it.
    I have also seen people selling bus tickets on the street, they are like big issue sellers, I think its €2 for a journey.

They are tickets that were sent to be shredded and were intercepted by thieves, there are no legitimate tickets for sale outside of fixed retail outlets or Dart or Luas stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    They are tickets that were sent to be shredded and were intercepted by thieves, there are no legitimate tickets for sale outside of fixed retail outlets or Dart or Luas stations.
    Are you certain? I know expensive tickets were stolen and some shops were selling them, this is single fare tickets though. This is not a shady looking street selling, like lads selling cigarettes, they have little tables set out clearly saying what they are up to. I have seen them in 3 locations now, lidl deansgrange, ballaly shopping centre & glasthule.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Are you certain? I know expensive tickets were stolen and some shops were selling them, this is single fare tickets though. This is not a shady looking street selling, like lads selling cigarettes, they have little tables set out clearly saying what they are up to. I have seen them in 3 locations now, lidl deansgrange, ballaly shopping centre & glasthule.

I don't know it for certain but I would base my view that they are not legitimate sellers on the following....

1. The only single-journey adult tickets mentioned on the DB website are Nitelink and Airlink...

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/1-Journey-Tickets/

2. Agents authorised to sell DB tickets are all named on the DB website plus they all display an external 'DB Tickets' sign as shown here..

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/

Advertisement