Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cool cafes in Central Dublin

Options
  • 15-05-2013 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

With so many cool cafes springing up around the city, I thought a thread to highlight them would be useful!
    so here goes!

café notto: liberties- big space serving good coffee and food
    fumbally: liberties-hipster place serving great food and coffee
    bibis: Portobello- cool little café with a clothes boutique
    wall and Keogh: Portobello- great tea selection and cakes
    tiesan: Portobello: small neighbourhood café -great food
    café cafe: village quarter- lovely building and fantastic cakes
    fixx: Grafton street area - good coffee range and trendy seating
    clement and pekoe: Grafton st area - great tea selection
    bubblicity: Grafton st area - bubble tea shop
    accents: Grafton street area - comfy lounge sofas and good food
    Rothar: Grafton st area - Coffee shop in a bike shop
    hippetys: Temple bar - café and wine bar with small art gallery
    Tamp and stitch: Temple bar - café and clothes boutique
    Dux and co: Temple bar - river views with great food and coffee
    Foam: north city centre - funky quirky place with a good selection
    3fe twisted pepper: north city centre - fantastic coffee and a record shop
    bakehouse: north city centre - great bakery and coffee house
    brother hubbard: north city centre - lovely food.
    wuff: Smithfield = open space serving good cheap eats
    seven social: Smithfield - small place with your bill in a mouse trap
    tea garden: north city centre - oriental café with cushions and shisha pipes

anybody and other places they like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

liffeylite wrote: »

I wouldn't agree with the 'cheap eats' for Wuff though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The Fumbally is great, that's for sure. And the Olive cafe, just round the corner from it, is decent enough as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i love accents but sometimes i order a drink and there's nowhere to sit because there's a gang of people taking up space for hours while only having one drink.
    Part of the reason i love it is that you can lounge about, but it's also its downside

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

Simon's Place in the Georges street arcade is one of my favourite places to go to if i fancy relaxing with a coffee and reading for a while.

(also the cinnamon buns are brilliant)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭steve_r

EyeSight wrote: »
    i love accents but sometimes i order a drink and there's nowhere to sit because there's a gang of people taking up space for hours while only having one drink.
    Part of the reason i love it is that you can lounge about, but it's also its downside

A plus one for accents, I feel your pain though!

Great thread OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Great list..

I'll add Hatch and Sons, Stephen's Green, under the Little Museum of Dublin and The Little Green, High Street.

Over at the South Docklands, The Art of Coffee, Il Valentino & Bakers are all nice to sit out when the weather is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

AsianDub wrote: »
    Great list..

I'll add Hatch and Sons, Stephen's Green, under the Little Museum of Dublin and The Little Green, High Street.

Over at the South Docklands, The Art of Coffee, Il Valentino & Bakers are all nice to sit out when the weather is good.

is Bakers the new place next door to herbsteet? I had read somewhere that this was going to be a BBs muffin café.

herbstreet is another good café actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

Can't believe Pepperpot and Cake Cafe haven't been mentioned... brilliant sandwiches, soups, salads, cakes, coffee and anything else I haven't mentioned...

Oh wait Pepperpot's scrambled eggs need a mention - available all day every day and the absolute best I've ever had!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

EyeSight wrote: »

Always full - camped in by students who spend hours and hours there. Gave it up after a while.

I heard today there I a new place opened in Smithfield called Oscars which is supposed to be excellent.

Apparently it will be a café bar come the end of the month and will be doing plenty of top quality beers. - full pub opening hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

is Bakers the new place next door to herbsteet? I had read somewhere that this was going to be a BBs muffin café.

Yup, had a croque monsieur. Reasonably priced at a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I thought I'd copy your list and indicate which places I know to be good for bringing the laptop to.

:) = Laptop friendly
    :D = Laptop friendly with plug sockets!

:D Café notto: liberties- big space serving good coffee and food
    :D fumbally: liberties-hipster place serving great food and coffee
    :) accents: Grafton street area - comfy lounge sofas and good food
    :) 3fe twisted pepper: north city centre - fantastic coffee and a record shop
    ---
    3rd Space : Smithfield - nice bright room, busy atmosphere
    :) 3fE Pearse St (?) - great coffee, friendly place
    :D Moda, Rathmines - plenty of plug sockets for nerding all day
    :) The Little Green on High Street beside Christ Church is brilliant - lovely staff, nice food and good coffee

Cianos wrote: »
    I thought I'd copy your list and indicate which places I know to be good for bringing the laptop to.

Out of interest does Laptop friendly indicate the availability of power sockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

Out of interest does Laptop friendly indicate the availability of power sockets?

Updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

I really like Honest to Goodness in George's Arcade. Great sandwiches & juices if not particularly cheap - good for a hungover Saturday brunch. Downsides are the seating is very limited and it's closed on Sundays which is usually the day I get to into town for a bite to eat.

The Little Green on High Street beside Christ Church is brilliant - lovely staff, nice food and good coffee. it's also got a bar, but i've only ever gone there for coffee.

Also, laptop friendly. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Amir's Delights in the Italian Quarter is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

:D café notto: liberties- big space serving good coffee and food

caffé noto has free WiFi and a couple of sockets too. Also their loyalty card only requires 6 coffees before your next one is free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Are any of these places open late? Accents is open until eleven but have a ridiculous "minimum spend" rule for bookings. Turned us off the place immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I heard today there I a new place opened in Smithfield called Oscars which is supposed to be excellent.

Apparently it will be a café bar come the end of the month and will be doing plenty of top quality beers. - full pub opening hours.

Excellent, if it's only opened how do you know it's excellent?

I have yet to find a cafe in Dublin I really like, personally think the chains are more comfortable.

• Advertisement

Lux23 wrote: »
    Excellent, if it's only opened how do you know it's excellent?

I have yet to find a cafe in Dublin I really like, personally think the chains are more comfortable.

The café part has been open for a couple of months. its the bar part that is just in the process of opening. The place itself has obviously been very well designed and thought out.

I am sure if you keep looking you will find some you like.:D
    Have you tried many from the list?

One of the great things about Dublin is how many independent places there are. most Uk cities just have the generic costa, starbucks, café nero etc and the very odd independent. same goes with the pubs and bars. there is a real variety to Dublin's offerings. its refreshing coming from the UK where you get used to bland chains everywhere. All the cities bar London start to look the same. Dublin always has its own character and its own offerings.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

Agree re Simons Place in the Georges St. Arcade. I love the way it never changes - they dont even have a cash register.

Where exactly is the Fumbally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

:D Café notto: liberties- big space serving good coffee and food
    :D fumbally: liberties-hipster place serving great food and coffee
    :D accents: Grafton street area - comfy lounge sofas and good food
    :) 3fe twisted pepper: north city centre - fantastic coffee and a record shop
    ---
    3rd Space : Smithfield - nice bright room, busy atmosphere
    :) 3fE Pearse St (?) - great coffee, friendly place
    :D Moda, Rathmines - plenty of plug sockets for nerding all day
    :) The Little Green on High Street beside Christ Church is brilliant - lovely staff, nice food and good coffee

Accents turned off the sockets as people were abusing it. They said they either had to put up the price of drinks which is unfair, or turn off the sockets as the bill was too high. Makes sense in fairness. I'd rather have cheaper coffee.

seablue wrote: »
    Agree re Simons Place in the Georges St. Arcade. I love the way it never changes - they dont even have a cash register.

Where exactly is the Fumbally?

its on fumbally lane in the liberties. at the junction with New street and fumbally lane. very handy if youre going to one of the markets in the co op at Newmarket square.

Another new place worth checking out.

the black magic café in Smithfield. good food, free wifi and sells beers and wines :D

its part of the voodoo lounge gig venue that recently reopened on Arran quay.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭emilyjmc

Surprised no mention of the Metro yet, my favourite coffee spot in Dublin. Love the outside seating - great for having a gawk at passers by. Friendly staff and nummy coffee and grub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭wattlendaub

Black Apple Cafe in Harold's Cross is a beaut of a spot, amazing food and coffee and they really treat you nicely in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

They all sound great? Is it essential to be a hipster though? I like me coffee and vinyl, but I'm not a hipster. Do they charge non-hipsters more?

:)

endacl wrote: »
    They all sound great? Is it essential to be a hipster though? I like me coffee and vinyl, but I'm not a hipster. Do they charge non-hipsters more?

of course they charge you more if you don't have your hipster card with you :p

I guess you would like the twisted pepper 3fe café and also the café up in tower records, if you haven't tried these before.

also roasted brown in the IFI, temple bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,309 ✭✭✭✭endacl

of course they charge you more if you don't have your hipster card with you :p

I guess you would like the twisted pepper 3fe café and also the café up in tower records, if you haven't tried these before.

also roasted brown in the IFI, temple bar.

Advertisement