Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do dogs get Alzheimers...

• 15-05-2013 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭

My elderly terrier is in great form/shape for his age - 15 yrs old. He is getting a bit deaf, and had cataracts developing, and has arthritis in his shoulder, but is very active/happy/full of beans and in great form, still loving his walks and will play fetch until HE decides thats enough messing about - I swear he thinks hes doing me the favour!!

Every now and then he has what we call 'an alzheimers day' - or it may only last an hour or two. He will be 'vague' (this is the dog who gets 'superior intelligence' scores in the "How smart is your dog" ratings :D) - will keep begging for food, sits at the treats cupboard looking up at you, and generally seem very odd. He will then sleep for a few hours, and be absolutely fine later in the day.

Is there a version of doggy alzheimers? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

aonb wrote: »
    My elderly terrier is in great form/shape for his age - 15 yrs old. He is getting a bit deaf, and had cataracts developing, and has arthritis in his shoulder, but is very active/happy/full of beans and in great form, still loving his walks and will play fetch until HE decides thats enough messing about - I swear he thinks hes doing me the favour!!

Every now and then he has what we call 'an alzheimers day' - or it may only last an hour or two. He will be 'vague' (this is the dog who gets 'superior intelligence' scores in the "How smart is your dog" ratings :D) - will keep begging for food, sits at the treats cupboard looking up at you, and generally seem very odd. He will then sleep for a few hours, and be absolutely fine later in the day.

Not Alzheimer's as such but they can suffer from something similar to dementia when they they age.

I have seen a few cats with the symptoms. It's basically diagnosed by ruling everything else out.

Research is still in the early stages though .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

My moms dog, had a stroke couple months ago, is doing great but has odd days/hours where, like yours, goes a bit vague. He even barked at a wall >.> & stares at it now and again.. Sometimes he even needs his name called a couple of times before he realises where he is/who we are.

For the most part he's still ok and not much to be done.
    __
    Just hope it doesn't worsen.

Research into dogs health with these kind of illnesses is fairly new.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

aonb wrote: »

You'd have to think that the development of mental ageing in dogs is similar to that in humans: we all know people who are as bright as buttons right up to a great age, and others who descend into it early.
    But yes, dogs get Canine Cognitive Dementia (CCD), which is one of my favourite areas of dog behaviour, because I love the oldies!
    It is probably similar-ish to human dementia (as opposed to Alzheimer's), in that it may be related to the dog slowing down physically, therefore not keeping his brain as active, which causes depression, lethargy, and eventual mental ageing. Some of the first symptoms of CCD include night-time wakefulness, and the dog doing things that he'd never have done, such as stealing stuff right in front of you, or doing things that he was trained not to do. They can also get kinda down in themselves.
    The good thing about dog dementia, and possible cat dementia (there's not as much known about cats as there is dogs in this department), is that it's physical development in the brain is not the same as it is for humans, and is far more amenable to various interventions than human dementia is, including physical, pharmaceutical, and particularly, dietary intervention. Indeed, it has been shown that such interventions, if done early enough, not only stop the progression of CCD... they can actually reverse it.
    Physical interventions include doing several short walks instead of one long one (thus spreading the sensory fulfillment of rooting around in off-territory places over a longer period), re-training old skills and teaching new ones, allowing the dog do a number of things it likes throughout the day rather than in one burst, such as meeting other dogs, playing with owners, meeting new people etc, using interactive toys like Kongs and activity balls, playing seek games with food, massage.. anything you can think of that will exercise the senses across a longer time period is great!
    Old dogs can get distressed more easily due to sensory loss, perhaps not being able to get outside to toilet as easily as they used to, and they can also get more clingy and miss their owners more when alone. So, steps need to be taken to facilitate the older dog if these things apply.
    Food-wise, more protein, more Vitamin E, more Omega 3... so oily fish is fantastic! These ingredients help to scavenge damaged cells, and help to repair damaged cells, all really important to an older dog.
    Medically, it's really important to keep on top of any age-related conditions that may cause discomfort, because an old dog can slide downhill very quickly in response to pain, so at least annual, if not 6-monthly vet checks are a good idea. But vets can also prescribe various drugs which address problems like anxiety, night-time wakefulness, depression etc.
    Great that your terrier is still in such good fettle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

DBB, thank you, great reply, lots of info/tips there.
    I have started taking him for little walks every day lately which he much rathers, and he's like a pup sometimes, mad to play, so will keep on top of entertaining him a bit more. ADORES fish, so could start giving him a can of oily fish/week - any use/benefit? Hes top dog in our house, so we tend to make the others give way to him and always have - he LOVES that! (he nearly smirks at the others!) We have a stray collie which we reckon is the same age as the terrier - but what a difference - the poor old collie is like a wreck in comparison - rear end very weak, all joints very weak, eyesight failing and completely deaf - but an old sweetie all the same. Old age is the pits :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

I have an elderly lady who's fairly arthritic and she loves swimming, I've really noticed that she loosens up afterwards too. When we get close to the lake where she swims she gets really excited and vocal and when we get out of the car she literally take off at a sort of hoppity run. I definitely think that it is one of the things that keeps her young mentally. Now I know that not all dogs like swimming, but perhaps there's something else that you can find that would work the same way on yours.

• Advertisement
Advertisement