Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sensory Processing Disorder

Options
  • 14-05-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭

Sorry for dragging up an old thread but my 3.5 year old was in the process of being assessed.He had his OT assessment and it was noted that he had sensory issues. He was due for his psychologist assessment but she rang me beforehand to see how he was doing. I explained that he has come on brilliantly in the past few months eg his speech, no tantrums etc. He is also extremely affectionate, good eye contact , plays well with other kids too so she said he does not need to see her. His only issues are he is extremely fearful of white noise (hoover, hand-dryer lawnmower etc and he has serious food preferences). I asked her about SPD and she said it's not generally diagnosed but I can tell people he has this as it's easier to explain:confused: He is going to be referred to the intervention team.

I'm just looking for a bit of advice on the subject. What happens next? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? It doesn't really affect his day to day life too much mainly just he freaks out if he hears any of the noises and he will hold in his wees rather than going to public toilet in case he hears a hand dryer. This I suppose is serious enough though.

Any advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've moved your post to a thread of it's own ziggy23, that other one was years old.

The assessment for SPD is pretty much straight forward, you'll be referred to the Early Intervention team, once referral is in they have to complete assessment within 3 months and then they have to give report within 3 months of assessment.

The EI team basically were looking for stuff like speech delay, delay in gross and fine motor skills and social issues. For SPD I was given a questionnaire and they based their assessment on this.

My daughter has sensory issues, the noises would be the big one for her.

If you want any more info PM me. I have her report somewhere and can dig it out.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Sensationalkids.ie are great, set up by a parent.
    If he is 3.5 what about when he goes to playschool? Will he need SNA help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭yoda2001

Here is an interesting clip where a boy explains SPD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1G5ssZlVUw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

Thanks a mil guys:)
    He's been going to a creche/montessori since he was 1 and they have no problems with him in fact they say he is very clever,actually above average when it comes to learning. The only thing is he gets bored easily when he knows something already. He's due to start in the Naonra in September (he loves Irish), so I will explain everything to them. I'm not sure he needs an SNA but how to I go about getting one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

ziggy23 wrote: »
    Thanks a mil guys:)
    He's been going to a creche/montessori since he was 1 and they have no problems with him in fact they say he is very clever,actually above average when it comes to learning. The only thing is he gets bored easily when he knows something already. He's due to start in the Naonra in September (he loves Irish), so I will explain everything to them. I'm not sure he needs an SNA but how to I go about getting one?

The EI and Assessment of Need assessment will determine whether or not he needs an SNA and the school will help you apply for one if he needs it.

I do need to reply to your PM, I will do so when the kids are in bed :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement