Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicked out of RAS property after 10 years

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Wow touching.. this guy is on disability comes on here looking for advise and you tell him to setup a web company... Seriously OP don't waste your time with the idiots that post in this forum as its been hijacked by self serving sociopaths.

Perhaps if you read all my posts on this thread before having a rant you might be better served...

The guy can work online as shown by the fact he can post on boards. His disability doesn't prevent him from doing so.

People often don't think of things outside their normal thought process unless pointed in the right direction, the shock of becoming unable to continue working in whatever field they were in can cause tunnel vision and a mindset that I cant work when that's not always the case. Which makes it a helpful suggestion weather you see it that way or not.

Now take your name calling and sling you hook unless your going to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I completely understand that this is an upsetting time for you, but you did know it was only a 10-year lease, didn't you?

Put aside the fact the bank has the house; what did you think was going to happen when the lease was up?

Had the landlord told you he was going to renew it?
    The RAS scheme is a better scheme than Rent Allowance, in my opinion, but it can be just as tough, if not even harder, to find willing landlords to take it on.

The council do have a duty to find you another home when your lease runs out-I know because I almost went on the RAS scheme before I was offered a council house, so try to hang in there and hopefully you'll get good news soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Just an update - i might have a line on a place that suits my needs....nothing set in stone, the landlord is already with RAS and i met with them today and explained my situation.

We'll see how things go....those wondering, i've been in front of four doctor/medical panels over the years and they've always signed off on my condition as legit, but i'd prefer not to disclose it here, thanks to everyone who replied...the PMs and comments.

I think i needed to "get it out" more then anything.....

I had a very good relationship with the original landlord....he never raised the rent. Because i was there such a long time, yes...maybe i thought/hoped the RAS contract would renew again and again, i was essentially paying the mortage and i thought at the end he'd own the property outright after i was dead.

But he defaultd some 18 months ago, and reposessed by the bank...so once they are involved......

fussyonion wrote: »
    I completely understand that this is an upsetting time for you, but you did know it was only a 10-year lease, didn't you?

Put aside the fact the bank has the house; what did you think was going to happen when the lease was up?

Had the landlord told you he was going to renew it?
    The RAS scheme is a better scheme than Rent Allowance, in my opinion, but it can be just as tough, if not even harder, to find willing landlords to take it on.

The council do have a duty to find you another home when your lease runs out-I know because I almost went on the RAS scheme before I was offered a council house, so try to hang in there and hopefully you'll get good news soon.

D3PO....i do get what your saying in principle about positive thinking, and doing something instead of moaning about it on the internet.
    D3PO wrote: »
    Perhaps if you read all my posts on this thread before having a rant you might be better served...

The guy can work online as shown by the fact he can post on boards. His disability doesn't prevent him from doing so.

People often don't think of things outside their normal thought process unless pointed in the right direction, the shock of becoming unable to continue working in whatever field they were in can cause tunnel vision and a mindset that I cant work when that's not always the case. Which makes it a helpful suggestion weather you see it that way or not.

Now take your name calling and sling you hook unless your going to contribute.

• Advertisement

I don't think it's anyone's business what your medical condition is or why you don't work; you didn't come here to discuss that, you came here to discuss RAS.

Fingers crossed, OP, this new landlord might have something for you and I hope you're settled in a new home soon.
    Keep us posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 horse10

Hi does anyone have any advice on problem neighbours on the RAS scheme ,the owner of the house is ignoring us and we don't know what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I was on the waiting list since 1996, its one reason i disliked the RAS scheme as you say they took me off the list because under RAS you are considered housed.

But you arent....there is no security like there is with a council house, you're at the whim of a landlord or a bank or the ecomomy :(

I called them this morning, was given no explation as to why the bank wont renew the RAS contract, they said they'll find me a place...but where?, some crappy bedsit?, some hellhole in Southill?

There are very few landloards willing to accept rent allowance, even fewer who will sign to the RAS scheme. Because of all the added cost etc.

My whole life turned upside down....:(

Landlords are better off with RAS tenants as they are vetted by council and the LL is almost guaranteed full occupancy for the lease prriod. This costs them far less than having tenants moving in and out every 6-12 month where they have to clean and paint the property and find new tenants. Many propertys are empty for 2-3month every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I had a very good relationship with the original landlord....he never raised the rent. Because i was there such a long time, yes...maybe i thought/hoped the RAS contract would renew again and again, i was essentially paying the mortage and i thought at the end he'd own the property outright after i was dead.
    You are entitled to assistance as you have a chronic illness. That's what the social welfare system is for and I'm glad that people like you are not tossed in the gutter, but you personally have not been paying they guy, the taxpayer has.

Hope it works out with your lead. The limits are very low now and in strong rental locations put no floor in rents any more (the government thought they could dictate market rents through the RS/RAS system...got that wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Landlords are better off with RAS tenants as they are vetted by council and the LL is almost guaranteed full occupancy for the lease prriod. This costs them far less than having tenants moving in and out every 6-12 month where they have to clean and paint the property and find new tenants. Many propertys are empty for 2-3month every year.
    ...and in Dublin most properties are empty for maybe 24 hours a year at present. Depends on the local market. RAS is less attractive to a Dublin LL than one in a rural area. There's no "one size fits all".

The RAS has many flaws foggy. Council won't assist in repairing damage caused by tenants they nominated (beyond a paltry month's rent). More hassles for LL (LL must furnish TCC from Revenue every year even if the council doesn't request it or he risks them suspending rent payments). In short, more hassle for the LL and the extra "security" is countenanced by lower rents than open market. It will suit some LLs, but not all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Best of luck with getting a new place to live, hopefully the LL you met yesterday will have something suitable.
    Can understand your need to "get it out" somewhere, I'd imagine it's an extremely difficult stressor to have along with your illness.
    The whole RA/ housing system is a minefield. Best of luck and hope you find somewhere asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

or why you don't work; you didn't come here to discuss that, you came here to discuss RAS.

I think with anyone discussing rent allowance, RAS or anything else that my tax money gets spent on then I, and every other person in this country has a right to ask questions.

the OP provided a more valid reason than most as to why they cant work, but D3PO provided a good solution to that problem. Questions like this are needed to keep peoples motives in check and not just turn this forum into a haven for lazy scroungers to get information on how to game the system and waste more of my money.

The OP is not a scrounger so is deserving of advice , others not so much, but it was a point that needed to be addressed.

zef wrote: »
    Best of luck with getting a new place to live, hopefully the LL you met yesterday will have something suitable.
    Can understand your need to "get it out" somewhere, I'd imagine it's an extremely difficult stressor to have along with your illness.
    The whole RA/ housing system is a minefield. Best of luck and hope you find somewhere asap.

I met with the RAS people in person again today, its down to money....as stated the cap for a single man with no kids etc. is 390pm which is 95pw. Its a two bedroom but they say number of bedrooms is not an issue.

So its down to RAS and the LL about negocating a price...she wants 115pw....they will only pay 95pw. Zero compassion shown for the fact they essentially envcited me from my home of 10 years.

Hopefully some middle ground can ne met.

I think with anyone discussing rent allowance, RAS or anything else that my tax money gets spent on then I, and every other person in this country has a right to ask questions.

the OP provided a more valid reason than most as to why they cant work, but D3PO provided a good solution to that problem. Questions like this are needed to keep peoples motives in check and not just turn this forum into a haven for lazy scroungers to get information on how to game the system and waste more of my money.

The OP is not a scrounger so is deserving of advice , others not so much, but it was a point that needed to be addressed.

Who appointed you judge and jury?

You DON'T have a God-given right to question the OP on his personal life regarding his medical condition or whether or not he's entitled to rent allowance or to be on the RAS scheme.

He came here asking advice on what to do in his current situation, that's it!

Who appointed you judge and jury?

You DON'T have a God-given right to question the OP on his personal life regarding his medical condition or whether or not he's entitled to rent allowance or to be on the RAS scheme.

He came here asking advice on what to do in his current situation, that's it!

I think its fair to have an opinion where my hard earned money is spent. I ament suggesting anyone asks about the op's medical condition simply saying 'im on ras because of a disability' was enough for me, and I suspect most people, we dont need any more details after that.

I think its fair to have an opinion where my hard earned money is spent. I ament suggesting anyone asks about the op's medical condition simply saying 'im on ras because of a disability' was enough for me, and I suspect most people, we dont need any more details after that.

Not all disabled people are on RAS :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

I do find it highly hypocritical of the likes of New Beginning bleating on about people losing 'their' homes (the ones they aren't paying for), and when renters who ARE paying are being booted out of properties there isn't a peep out of them.

Why the blatant double standard? Clearly something else is at play.

Not all disabled people are on RAS :confused:

true and thats a good thing, not all people on ras have such a legitimate reason for claiming state benefits either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Anynama141 wrote: »
    I do find it highly hypocritical of the likes of New Beginning bleating on about people losing 'their' homes (the ones they aren't paying for), and when renters who ARE paying are being booted out of properties there isn't a peep out of them.

Why the blatant double standard? Clearly something else is at play.

I dont see how there is any relation between New Beginnings and what has happened to the OP tbf. The OPs new landlord has decided that they do not want to rent the property and are now renewing the lease; its poxy and I feel for the OP but it happens.

I dont have a problem with the gist of your post, i got the gist people wanted an explanation as to why i was on disability, without saying my specific condition/disability i did say i had been assesed by those doctor panel things four times over the years.

I offered that info as i got the gist people wanted more info....but yes, i am able to type...thank god! :P

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    I dont see how there is any relation between New Beginnings and what has happened to the OP tbf. The OPs new landlord has decided that they do not want to rent the property and are now renewing the lease; its poxy and I feel for the OP but it happens.
    The relation is this:

New Beginning claim they want to keep people in 'their homes'. The OP wants to stay in his home.

I have no real evidence, but i suspect either the bank didnt like the RAS scheme/contract or they want to sell the properties they repossesed.

If the bank was under RAS they couldnt sell for four years, would not be able to raise rent and all the other things that go with RAS.

Like i said i'm not a person who's home was taken out from under him, just some number on a spreadsheet :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

The relation is this:

New Beginning claim they want to keep people in 'their homes'. The OP wants to stay in his home.

But the OP is a renter, the house was a rental, new beginnings (which I think are scammers anyway) are trying to keep people in their homes who were able to get a mortgage through the normal ways but have failed in some way to keep up repayments due to a change in their situation, the OP falls into a completely different category, there's no comparison.

The relation is this:

So what; you think New Beginnings should be campaigning to change the law so that landlords have no control over their properties and tenants can stay there indefinitely? Im really struggling to see where you are coming from tbh.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    But the OP is a renter, the house was a rental, new beginnings (which I think are scammers anyway) are trying to keep people in their homes who were able to get a mortgage through the normal ways but have failed in some way to keep up repayments due to a change in their situation, the OP falls into a completely different category, there's no comparison.

You could argue that a mortgage is the same as renting, you'd dont own the house....the bank does, you're paying money every week like a renter. The only difference is after 25 years you own it whereas a renter is turfed out.

So what; you think New Beginnings should be campaigning to change the law so that landlords have no control over their properties and tenants can stay there indefinitely? Im really struggling to see where you are coming from tbh.
    New Beginning are happy to see you thrown out of your house if you are a renter regardless of whether you pay or not, but if you managed to wangle a mortgage, you are supposed to stay in the house even if you aren't paying for it any more.

It seems a home is only a home if you own the title deeds.

New Beginning are happy to see you thrown out of your house if you are a renter regardless of whether you pay or not, but if you managed to wangle a mortgage, you are supposed to stay in the house even if you aren't paying for it any more.

It seems a home is only a home if you own the title deeds.

And what do you want/expect New Beginnings to do about the renters situations? Renting is not a secure situation; anyone renting needs to understand this. Regardless of how long you remain in a property, it is never truely your home, and will always ultimately belong to someone else.

And what do you want/expect New Beginnings to do about the renters situations? Renting is not a secure situation; anyone renting needs to understand this. Regardless of how long you remain in a property, it is never truely your home, and will always ultimately belong to someone else.
    Not true. That's just the situation we've created in Ireland. In the US, in other EU countries your home is your home.

As I said, I find it highly hypocritical of NB and company to operate a double standard as to which people are entitled to a home. Some people can have a home even if they don't pay, and some people can't have a home even when they do.

Not true. That's just the situation we've created in Ireland. In the US, in other EU countries your home is your home.

As I said, I find it highly hypocritical of NB and company to operate a double standard as to which people are entitled to a home. Some people can have a home even if they don't pay, and some people can't have a home even when they do.

I dont think you are getting it. It doesnt matter if you have a 1 year, 5 year or 25 year lease; at the end of the day when renting it is never truely your home. Theres no point giving out about what the likes of NB are doing; ultimately it doenst change the fact that when renting you are always living in someone elses property, and as such there is always the chance that it will not be your permanent home.

• Advertisement

I dont think you are getting it. It doesnt matter if you have a 1 year, 5 year or 25 year lease; at the end of the day when renting it is never truely your home.
    It looks rather like you are not getting it. In other countries, the system provides for people living in rented accommodation for as long as they wish. You've surely heard of this in other countries?

So why are New Begging not campaigning for that here, if it is people's homes that they are really protecting?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement