Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kicked out of RAS property after 10 years

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Generally if an area looks good from the outside at first glance the it will be okay to live in.

While it is a massive generalisation- I'd have to agree. If its reasonably well kept outside- the locals would normally be quite reasonable, and there is unlikely to be any issue with antisocial elements in the community.

A quick pop down to the local garda station might help- while they won't go into specifics- normally they'd be happy to tell you their broad opinions of different areas, and whether they'd be considered nice and quiet (or what the story is).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I took the place they offered, tbf...it looked alot better then where i am now. ^ hate having to move but there is nothing i can do, just have to get on with it...and moan to myself. [or on an internet forum]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I took the place they offered, tbf...it looked alot better then where i am now. ^ hate having to move but there is nothing i can do, just have to get on with it...and moan to myself. [or on an internet forum]
    If they gave you a council house or flat you might have awful trouble with neighbours drugs etc and might be thinking that moving every ten years was well worth the effort and also gives you a chance to meet new neighbours:-D

Stuff packed up....and my current landlord who i've been with for 10 years has kindly offered to move all the big stuff for free :)

I wasnt the only one, he had several properties and they all got the boot.
    Tis just a pity he defaulted....but thats the economy :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

Hi mate

so how have you got on with the coco?

• Advertisement

tonyheaney wrote: »
    Hi mate

so how have you got on with the coco?

The coco?...is that a pun for drugs :confused: - dont smoke or drink :) and i dont like hot choclate....:o .....ooh, the council!?.....:o :p

Its been ok, i'm more generally pissed at the situ then anything.

ya coco as in county council and what advancements have been made

ya coco as in county council and what advancements have been made

I have more or less accepted a place, tbh i had no choice....the new place is grand, its better then where i am....but its a feckin flat ground floor :mad:

I'm over 40 now....too old for that malarky :( ....young wans stomping around on wooden floors, parties and what not...no idea what it'll be like to live in until i live in.

Bit of a situ with a phone line that needs sorting, hassle of transfering all the official bits and bobs to the new place and general sadness my home pf 10 years is no more. :(

Sure other then that i'm peachy......:)

At least your not in southill glad its been sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I have more or less accepted a place, tbh i had no choice....the new place is grand, its better then where i am....but its a feckin flat ground floor :mad:

I'm over 40 now....too old for that malarky :( ....young wans stomping around on wooden floors, parties and what not...no idea what it'll be like to live in until i live in.

Bit of a situ with a phone line that needs sorting, hassle of transfering all the official bits and bobs to the new place and general sadness my home pf 10 years is no more. :(

Sure other then that i'm peachy......:)
    First world problems there Richard tbh. :confused:

• Advertisement

Signed the contract - 4 years [hopefully], landlord is cool with getting a new landline in...though he says there is already one preinstalled:confused: - dunno, Vodafone said there isin't one.

The ball is rolling on a fresh install so we'll move ahead, wanna see some pics of the new gaf? ;)

Signed the contract - 4 years [hopefully], landlord is cool with getting a new landline in...though he says there is already one preinstalled:confused: - dunno, Vodafone said there isin't one.

The ball is rolling on a fresh install so we'll move ahead, wanna see some pics of the new gaf? ;)

May not be connected at the exchange. Plug a phone in and see do you get a dial tone. If none- it just needs to be reactivated at the exchange.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If they gave you a council house or flat you might have awful trouble with neighbours drugs etc and might be thinking that moving every ten years was well worth the effort and also gives you a chance to meet new neighbours:-D

They said there are no units for a single man available, and that i am at the bottom of the priority scale. I said that was blatant discrimination and she agreed....but that;s the current syste,

Single girls with kids have the upperhand, couples with kids are a step down.

Things is i *know* girls you have two and three kids on PURPOSE *just* to get a council house.....:mad:

Single men get treaty terribly by this system.

murphaph wrote: »
    First world problems there Richard tbh. :confused:

Fair point....but we all have our cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Single men tend to be able to earn more when there capable of work ,
    Have to agree its a sick system that rewards single women who have no intention of contributing to anything and are only interested in how much and "im ENTITLED" to

Its life. Look at the health system too- its geared towards women and the health conditions most likely to affect them. So- you have massive publicity about breast cancer- when in fact lung cancer kills significantly more women than does breast cancer. As for mens health- well, they just don't tend to feature at all. When was the last time you saw an advertisement advising men to get checked for prostate cancer? I've certainly never seen one.

Its the case that whoever kicks up a fuss and makes most noise- gets their pet projects taken care of. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭bleary

Last time i saw an ad for prostate cancer, oooh about 2 weeks ago, samuel l jackson launched a campaign on graham norton show. Last time i saw an ad for breast cancer, cant remember one.

Have seens lots of celebrities talking about their experience with both types of cancer, perhaps breast cancer care charities have better profiles than many but
    I didnt think it was a competition, do you?

lots of public health campaigns and developments are geared at diseases suffered by both genders, for example the ones that come to my mind are the stroke campaign and diabetes

I could suggest we spend lots of public money preventing lots of things mainly affecting men such as murders, car accidents , suicide but it would be a very narrow way of looking at the world

can i ask and trust me im not stalking you but where is the apartment and where was your house? it looks quite small and im wandering if you have gotten used to the size difference if there is any? what was your initial opinion when you first saw the apartment?

can i ask and trust me im not stalking you but where is the apartment and where was your house? it looks quite small and im wandering if you have gotten used to the size difference if there is any? what was your initial opinion when you first saw the apartment?

I've already said where its located, no yer not getting the house number! ;)
    I was in Bengal Terrace, lovely area....10 years never a problem, very quite....no trouble or breakins.

100% recomend the area to others, the bedroom and living area are bigger then Bengal, but the ktchen...think the technincal term maisonette and bathroom are much smaller then Bengal.

I think overall they are roughly the same, just different layout and look/feel.
    My initial opinion was heavily colored by my anger toward the RAS people making decisions that controled my life.

Now that i'm over that, the new place looks very modern and high standard...i got lucky.

Everything moved in - handing over Bengal to the bank Friday, get my new landline Friday, bought some nice canvas pictures and a king size duvet....Richy is a happy lad :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Everything moved in - handing over Bengal to the bank Friday, get my new landline Friday, bought some nice canvas pictures and a king size duvet....Richy is a happy lad :)

Have you looked back at the first page if this thread and seen how many frowny faces there were!! Glad you've landed on your feet!

It seems to me that you've already decided that you're not going to like anywhere you look at.

Look, you've had a great run for 10 years. Many renters woud have had to move a couple of times during that period. You need to get over the fact that you have to move, and approach the new place with an open mind. Don't compare it to the old place....look at it on its own merits.

Sorry to drag up an old thread....but want to personally thank the poster above, as your comments helped me decide to take the place i am now in....if i left my anger over rule my head i could be in a right kip now.

But i remembered your post and what you said and took the place and it work out great....place is superb, way better then my last place, super quiet....very high standard and i am tipping away at making it my own.

So from me to you....i thank you. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement