Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non flowering Camellia

• 15-05-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

I bought a Camellia about two years ago and it never produced any flowers. It is very healthy looking with nice glossy green foilage. Any advice on how to get it to flower. Have another one that is in full bloom at the moment. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

any idea of the name

• Registered Users Posts: 35 operam

Thanks for your reply Next. Dont' know the name, it was bought in Lidl. Has grown since I bought it and looks very healthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

One thing with Camellia's is that if they don't get enough water at the end of the summer while they are producing next years flower buds they won't produce any. They are surface rooters so can dry out in the soil quite easily.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

operam wrote: »
    I bought a Camellia about two years ago and it never produced any flowers. It is very healthy looking with nice glossy green foilage. Any advice on how to get it to flower. Have another one that is in full bloom at the moment. Any comments appreciated. Thanks.

Might be Camellia (white) Japonica.......Aldi sell lots of these every couple of months.They can take a few years to produce flowers.

Did you plant it in some ericeaous soil and give it a little slow release food?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭next

some Camellia's dont flower till their about 4-5 years old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

next wrote: »
    some Camellia's dont flower till their about 4-5 years old

Fussy buggers. True enough, ours did damn all for so long that it was all but forgotten in the border. But the last 3 years its given tons of flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

operam wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply Next. Dont' know the name, it was bought in Lidl. Has grown since I bought it and looks very healthy.

It's just small/young I'd say. Lild and aldi often sell plants a bit younger than normal to make it seem like a deal compared with a more mature plant in a garden center. Nothing that time won't fix. If the leaves aren't going yellow then it doesn't need any special soil or feeds. Leave it be for a few years and it should come along.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 operam

Thanks to all who replied, very helpful. Will wait, and hopefully it will bloom at some stage. Wont throw it out yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

My camellia japonica "apollo" took years to settle in and flower but seems happy now. I give it an orgainc liquid feed + liquid seaweed a few times in the summer, esp towards the end. or of the leaves look a little yellow round the edges

Advertisement