Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Record Shops in North Dublin?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to find if there are any record shops in North Dublin that sell vinyl?
    The only shop I can think of is Golden Discs in Swords and in Santry but do they sell vinyl?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

KJ wrote: »
    I'm trying to find if there are any record shops in North Dublin that sell vinyl?
    The only shop I can think of is Golden Discs in Swords and in Santry but do they sell vinyl?

Its been a long time since I have seen vinyl in Golden Discs! but they might be able to order it in for you if you are looking for something in particular.
    Now I know its not North Dublin, but these are all within a five minute walk of each other, so you might be better heading into Tower Records off Grafton Street for new albums, (not sure how good their selection is as its been a while since I've been in there) Spin Dizzy in the Georges St Arcade carry a good selection of old and new, there is also a stall called Trout at the Powerscourt end of the arcade dealing mainly in second hand and there is a small shop on Fade St, again, mainly second hand. Hope thats of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

KJ wrote: »

I'm a huge vinyl fan, Tower in Wicklow street is probably the best stocked new vinyl shop at the moment, new Daft Punk double vinyl which sounds great (brilliant mastering) is only €22 there. Vinyl is such a minority interest (but growing) at the moment that it wouldn't justify many suburban shops stocking it. For second hand I use Discog , I've got some fantastic lp's for between 3 and 20 euros off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Thanks for the replies. It was actually the Daft Punk album that I was after and ended up going to Tower on Wicklow street. Freebird Records on Wicklow street is pretty good too. I will check out your suggestions next time I'm in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Popped into Tower during the week, plesantly surprised at the vinyl section, great to see its popularity / appreciation starting to grow again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

For second hand vinyl check out The Rage on Fade Street. Its used to be Road Records. Its all 2nd hand vinyl and Retro computer games :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭iomega

For vinyl in Dublin I like
    Freebird (good overall selection of new and secondhand records & CDs)
    Elastic Witch (for new indie/electronic releases)
    Spin Dizzy
    Tower is good but a bit pricey.
    I'm not mad about RAGE. They have loads of records, especially downstairs, but I find the prices way too high considering the condition of some of the records. I've seen records in there that look like the cat has played with them and the price is €25 - €40. With second hand vinyl I'm looking for VG and upwards. I'm not really bothered about first pressings, ect what I'm looking for is good sounding records with the minimal surface noise & as little pops & crackle as possible.

If you fancy a bit of a drive try beat that records in Arklow. Good selection, quality mostly good and reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

looking for Hip Hop records, had a look in freebird but not much there

anyone know where they have a good selection?

kingtiger wrote: »

There is a place in temple bar. I think its at the back of the foggy dew pub or somewhere around there. It does hip hop vinyl i think. Never been in the place so i dont know if they have a big selection but the website can be found at
    http://shop.all-cityrecords.com/

There is a place in temple bar. I think its at the back of the foggy dew pub or somewhere around there. It does hip hop vinyl i think. Never been in the place so i dont know if they have a big selection but the website can be found at
    http://shop.all-cityrecords.com/

Thought that place had closed, haven't been in Temple Bar in around a year will have a look, cheers.

kingtiger wrote: »

Tower has a hip hop section, did you have a look?

• Advertisement

Not sure if they have closed or not. It wouldnt really be the kind of place i would be buying my vinyl in as im not really into that kind of music.

Also,for anyone interested,just found out that the big record fare they have in Filmbase in Temple Bar is happening next month (19th -21st of July)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

Tower has a hip hop section, did you have a look?

I did, only commercial Hip-Hop, not really what I was looking for

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mark188

Anyone know wat shop buy dance vinyls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

mark188 wrote: »
    Anyone know wat shop buy dance vinyls
    Spindizzy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Thought that place had closed, haven't been in Temple Bar in around a year will have a look, cheers.

Nope, City Discs was the place that closed, as did Comet a while longer ago. As did Beat Finder also.
    But All City is still very much open for vinyl, spray paint, some clothes and even haircuts! lol. Mad what a place has to do to stay open these days.
    I was in there about 3 weeks ago, pretty good selection of rare enough stuff. Worth a dig on payday for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭justmyself

Dublins never been great for Vinyl. Get a cheap flight to any EU city and buy vinyl for a 5th of the price.

Advertisement