Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns in the home

Options
  • 15-05-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Im moving towards my first application for a .22.

Partner not phased by it but I have an 8 year old son too. Just looking on any other parents opinion on addressing the rifle being there. We live in Dublin so he never had the experience of seeing/hearing a shot fired. I mean this in the context of someone raised on farmed land or the likes that shotguns may be common.

Now I'm not asking do I let him throw out a few shots. But a big locked safe is eye candy for a child. Do I open it and explain, show him what sits where. Or ignore it as if it's not there.

Opinions greatly received on this one!!

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

My little fella is 12 this July. There have been guns in the house since well before he was born. Never an issue.

From a young age i would have him in the gun room when cleaning the guns. I'd show him how to clean it, what the parts were, and the cardinal rule of firearms - SHOW HIM HOW TO CHECK THE GUN IS SAFE THE MINUTE IT IS HANDED TO HIM. Break a shotgun or look into the breech of a rifle. I would then show him how to cycle the bolt, and take it out/put it in. I basically take the "mystery" out of the guns.

Now obviously it was a slow process, and you are starting with an 8 year old. However the principles are the same. Let him see the gun, and show him how to check it's safe. DO NOT make it a curiosity that he never gets to see or handle. When my fella was young with his cap guns he acted like it was a real gun. Never pointed it anyone or anything, and "cleared it" before locking it in the gun safe with mine. It was funny to see, but great also that he was learning.

I bring him out with me as often as i can, and as much as he wants to. Once he understands it's not a toy, and learns to respect it then you will not have a problem. It will take time, but be patient, and don't shout. Makes them nervous.

Lastly, no matter how much you trust him he can never know where the gun keys are, and must never, never be able to access it without you being present.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Im moving towards my first application for a .22.

Partner not phased by it but I have an 8 year old son too. Just looking on any other parents opinion on addressing the rifle being there. We live in Dublin so he never had the experience of seeing/hearing a shot fired. I mean this in the context of someone raised on farmed land or the likes that shotguns may be common.

Now I'm not asking do I let him throw out a few shots. But a big locked safe is eye candy for a child. Do I open it and explain, show him what sits where. Or ignore it as if it's not there.

Opinions greatly received on this one!!

Personally I'd show the kid the gun. Tell him how it works and how dangerous it is. Tell him that he's not allowed to go near the gun because he'll be in big trouble. And then put the gun in the safe and make sure that he doesn't know where the keys are or that he can't get at the keys. That should satisfy his curiosity. Maybe take it out an odd time if he asks you about it.

Just remember, no point having a safe if a kid can get the keys for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭deano2882

ive a young lad under three and i explained not to touch and its dangerous and he dont let his twin sister near safe and tells her not to touch even my friends arent allowed near it when we gettin ready togo shooting..quiet funny watching him tell them no..he.s alot younger than ur lad so id just explain it all to him and he.ll understand clearly..ive rifles and a shotgun and they no they cant touch any of them or anything todo with them..but i do let him watch me clean them and that when i get round to cleaning them...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

As a parent, and there a quite of few of us here. The best thing you can do is educate your son. Let him see you using the rifle safely. That's as much as he needs to know for the time being.

Put a safe in your house. Two even, to separate the firearm and keep things safe. Your FO will love you for it. (1 Rifle, 2 Bolt & Ammo) Put it in a place that will be not in constant view by him. (attic is the best spot, bolted to the house walls). The saying, out of sight, out of mind is very apt here.

Do not let him with you when you are putting gun away or taking it out. They're divils for remembering things they're not supposed to, like safe codes numbers.

Keys, keep on your person. Spare, somewhere only you or your SO know about.

If he's included in what you are doing, there will be less compulsion to try and experiment on his own.

If this is your first firearm, please ensure that you get to a proper course on the use/cleaning/safety in using your gun. The NASRPC run courses regularly. No point in passing on bad habits to the 8yo. Your shooting range will be able to advise you on the next available course.

Good luck with the application.
    Lb6
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

Its all been said above but if that fails...

Pisttooool whip the muttha and tell him "stay way from mi sheet..."

along those lines

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

My young lad is 3and a half. He isn't really showing any interest in my guns at the minute. When I'm heading out sometimes he doesn't even look just staying playing with his cars. Now he knows we're I'm going and what I'm doing. I'm not showing him anything till he shows an interest. But they are locked away and ammo is completely separate.

Id suggest that you know what your doing before ever showing your son anything. Then I'd wait to see if he has any interest he might not give a ****e. If he is into it then show him and take all of the advice hat has been said already.
    But I'd wait to see his reaction first.

It obviously can't be stressed enough to ensure he cannot get into the safe or near the ammo.

When I first started shooting I was told

The devil loads a gun once a year. !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Let a bit of common sense prevail like just about everyone here has said, show him, teach him, take him out when you zero the rifle or go shooting bunnies. Do what you can to take away the magic.

Guns are not mythical killing machines, handle with care and respect and all will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Having nearly been shot dead by a novice shooter (someone who was too imature to have a gun) this year here is the advice I would give.

By all means bring the child out with with you but he walks behind you with the bag. He learns from you. Leave him have a few shots, but your the licence holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Personally I'd show the kid the gun. Tell him how it works and how dangerous it is. Tell him that he's not allowed to go near the gun because he'll be in big trouble. And then put the gun in the safe and make sure that he doesn't know where the keys are or that he can't get at the keys. That should satisfy his curiosity. Maybe take it out an odd time if he asks you about it.

Just remember, no point having a safe if a kid can get the keys for it.

+1 on that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Then again, kids love to brag - I know this from my own....

Your security should be top knotch.... If your 8yo goes to school and tells all the buddies about daddy's gun.... you never know who could get that information....

Do you trust him enough is one thing, but what about the kids and their relatives/friends etc. Are they trustworthy.

Might be playing devils advocate here, but sometimes, what they don't know won't hurt them.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭gavindublin

Thanks for the opinions lads. Im with cass and battlecorp ideas myself but wasnt sure if I was alone on that.

As for him telling his friends and security. I think of it as the same risk as the neighbours possibly seeing me come and go or the person who sold it too me. Its well locked and hid, if they find it they'll need a skip load of tools to get away with any gear!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Leave him have a few shots, but your the licence holder.
    Don't.
    Look, I know it's a stupid law, but it is the law - if he fires a few shots from your rifle and you're not on an authorised target shooting range at the time, then he's in possession of an unlicenced firearm and you've permitted it. You get seen by some busybody doing that, or worse, a bored Garda, and you're talking about some pretty serious charges (the maximum penalty for that offence is five years in prison and €20,000 in fines), and you'd could also be charged with endangering a minor, and target shooting outside of an authorised range. Practically, you're not likely to see the maximum sentence, but you are likely to lose your licences unless the bored Garda's superintendent is your kids godfather or a shooter with kids himself or some such. And there aren't many of those around :(

Take him out, let him watch, teach him; but when it's time for him (or her lads, seriously, women tend to make better shooters than men) to actually take a shot - be on a range.

Or you could do what I plan to do and start them off with one of these at home or on the range until they've learnt how to aim and then move them up to real firearms when they're ready:

anlaser_L.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Cass hit the nail on the head, educate your child about firearms, to keep them ignorant about the matter would only fuel their curiosity.
    I keep my guns in the safe at all times and the room where they are kept is always locked. Keep any ammo and magazines in a separate location.
    any time you take it out, reiterate the dangers to to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Having nearly been shot dead by a novice shooter (someone who was too imature to have a gun) this year here is the advice I would give.

By all means bring the child out with with you but he walks behind you with the bag. He learns from you. Leave him have a few shots, but your the licence holder.

What you're saying in that post is exactly why it is so important to teach kids how to handle a gun safely when there's guns about the house.

I'm sorry but don't leave him have a few shots. Boot unroll he is ready and even then don't give him the gun. Lie him down and get down beside him put one round in the mag and when ready to shoot pass the gun over then and take it straight back after the shot and I mean straight back.

You can only get shot by a novice shooter if you give him the gun.

I'm sorry but don't leave him have a few shots. Boot unroll he is ready and even then don't give him the gun. Lie him down and get down beside him put one round in the mag and when ready to shoot pass the gun over then and take it straight back after the shot and I mean straight back.

You can only get shot by a novice shooter if you give him the gun.

That sounds a bit daft, handng the child a loaded gun.

Would you make him wear a pair of plastic gloves while he has it in his hands just so he doesn't touch it!! :rolleyes:............

Look if he's going to teach the child how to shoot teach him properly.

But if its illegal, then don't bother, wait til he comes of age, get him licensed on it and bring him to a range.

Sorry for been daft.
    But look at what you said here just incase you forgot.

I also said dont leave him have a few shots.
    Just to say this whole tread is saying take it slow and don't be daft and above everything else be safe.

Sorry for been daft.
    But look at what you said here just incase you forgot.

[/B][/B]

I also said dont leave him have a few shots.
    Just to say this whole tread is saying take it slow and don't be daft and above everything else be safe.

The incident where I was nearly shot last year was when a novice shooter fired from behind me with a shotgun, while out pheasant shooting.

I went out with a father and son, they were fully licensed training certs etc.. My dog is pointing into some briars, young fellah standing off to my side, I told him to be careful. But the bird got up in front of me, the excitement got to him and he fired 2 shots in my general direction, the pellets probably were'nt that close but it still cost me a weeks sleep thinking about it and what could have happened. He missed the bird, he fired too fast at every bird he saw that morning and missed, I got 2 including the one he nearly killed me over.

I won't be putting myself in that situation again, I've learned my lesson it nearly cost me my life. I'll only be going out with people I trust.

I'm sure it was very traumatic for you and I can definitely sympathise with you for been in that sort of situation.

Having said that you said i was daft for saying the same thing as you did that was all I was trying to point out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

In terms of guns in the home, I keep my guns in a safe, the bolts are kept in the car , my young lads will never have access to a useable firearm in the home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Chiparus wrote: »
    In terms of guns in the home, I keep my guns in a safe, the bolts are kept in the car , my young lads will never have access to a useable firearm in the home.

if someone steals your car you'll have a nice set of clubs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Yes and if someone breaks into my house and steals the safe,?

Well, none of my firearms will be usable for the crims.

Advertisement