Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

an post- mail arrived open

Options
  • 15-05-2013 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

i received a birthday card in the post today from my granny, the envelope was open at the seal and the side of it was ripped.

there was money in the card which is obviously gone now

just wondering is there anything i can do or is it a write off?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ene wrote: »
    i received a birthday card in the post today from my granny, the envelope was open at the seal and the side of it was ripped.

Get your granny to report it to the guards and also to An Post as theft is unacceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Happy Birthday for starters.:)

Such a horrible thing to have happen to you. I'm sure your Granny would be a bit annoyed and upset for you.

Definitely report to An Post (in writing ironically) as this may be happening regularly in a specific area and An Post will have to investigate it. Might reduce this sort of thing happening.

I doubt whether the Garda will get involved, but it would do no harm to ring them and ask for advice.

Hope you had a nice birthday apart from that. Happy Birthday! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I knew a postman once that got sacked for theiving out of envelopes, the Gobs**** had a year to go to pension age and lost his job and pension over it.

Why did the clown do it

Idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

Find out where the card was posted and report with that information to your local delivery office or customer services , it may be a part of an ongoing problem , there may be an investigation into someone already but nothing will happen until the company are 100% sure that someone i'm particular is in the wrong . That said unfortunately people cannot send cash in the post 100% safe in knowledge it will get there . Register money all the time . As it was an elderly lady I assume she still has the faith in the post office . There is millions of items being transported around the country everyday . There is temptation there and sometimes people can't resist . It's an awful shame really when honesty should be such an important part of the job .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

the person is completely a gobsht*e

if you were to steal from the envelope why deliver it afterwards??? just burn it/dump it...anything but deliver it! Then the recipient would just think it got lost in the post...not that money was stolen from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's also quite possible that the card got caught in a machine, hence the ripping. There are several possible explanations here, but either way I would report to your local Post Master.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

For what its worth, report it.

Its happened loads of times and its practically impossible to stop, but you have to try.

Only last week a postman got caught at it in dublin but google throws up loads more examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

dudara wrote: »
    It's also quite possible that the card got caught in a machine, hence the ripping. There are several possible explanations here, but either way I would report to your local Post Master.

So the machine took his money?? Rise of the machines eh!!
    vicwatson wrote: »
    I knew a postman once that got sacked for theiving out of envelopes, the Gobs**** had a year to go to pension age and lost his job and pension over it.

Why did the clown do it

Idiot.

So did the postman do it or the clown? Did the postman set up the clown?

On a more serious note I sent my niece a birthday card last week and it still not arrived. Was it sent in an ordinary envelope or was it obviously a birthday card (coloured envelope perhaps). I think sometimes there are oportunists that see a pink envelope or similar and realise its a birthday card and they chance their arms!!

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

So did the postman do it or the clown? Did the postman set up the clown?

Ha - larious.

Not

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

ye it was in a pink envelope so it was probably pretty obvious.

how would you go about reporting it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

It's worth pointing out that an post advise customers never to post cash, they can be very strict about this I've found.

Was in post office once and wanted to post 10e, they saw me put it in the envelope while I was in the q. When I went to post it they refused to sell me a stamp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

isn't there a law that doesn't allow people posting money ??
    Either way its most likely postman who took it.if you want to post safely then use registered/tracking nr mail and insurance if needed,costs couple e but risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

When my mum sends birthday card with money in it she always puts it into a brown envelope, no postman every opens or doesn't deliver brown post usually always bills :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

vicwatson wrote: »
    Ha - larious.

Not

I see the sense of humor I mailed you recently was obviously opened too before it got to you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭joebloggs32

ene wrote: »

Exact same thing happened a few weeks ago to my mother who recieved post from Australia. However it was only photos of grandchildren. Needles to say the photos were not taken.

Advertisement