Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise maker to find lost dog?

• 15-05-2013 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi,
    My dog runs away a bit. he runs down to the woods and surrounding areas at the end of our garden and it can be hard to find him.
    I looked into GPS trackers but they are too expensive.

I was wondering if this exists, except for dogs...
    http://www.electricirelandstore.ie/Product/Find-It-The-Ultimate-Key-Finder/1309/600

(it's a key finder, you press a button and your keys make noise and light up)

I can't just use that one as it would need to be water proof, and that one would probably break.

Do they make such things for dogs?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

How about putting a bell on his collar?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 dublinelmo

ISDW wrote: »
    How about putting a bell on his collar?

Yeah, i was thinking of that as an option. The dog tag that he has does make a bit of noise when he moves, but it is hard to hear it over the sound of birds/wind in the trees. I'm not sure an actual bell would help a lot. He tends to wander around sniffing stuff, rather than running, so i'm not sure a bell would make a lot of noise.

The product I described must exist at a reasonable price though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How about teaching him to recall to a whistle - he'll hear it a mile off and of you train him properly should come running back as soon as he hears it.

tk123 wrote: »
    How about teaching him to recall to a whistle - he'll hear it a mile off and of you train him properly should come running back as soon as he hears it.

He could be better trained. He knows he shouldn't run away though. He normally runs away after a fox, and I can't see him ever stopping because I whistle. He is eight years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

I haven't yet come across a device that would fit this requirement and it's an awful shame that some pet company have yet to invent something along the lines of the key finder you mentioned.
    Short of securing a small cheap mobile phone to his collar with loud ring tone that could remain water tight i don't have any other alternatives presently!
    how about a waterproof high vis flashing collar? ( these they make)
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/363578686/LED_high_visibility_dog_collar.jpg_220x220.jpg

You might like to check out the training DVD- 'Really Reliable Recall'- Leslie Nelson. Lots of great advice and exercises to build a more solid recall.
    Happy training.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

There are remote-controlled terrier-finders and ferret-finders used by hunters to locate their lost underground creatures via a loud alarm, but they are expensive! A quick google has suggested a ferret finder will set yuou back €80ish, a terrier-finder €190:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I remember having a very high pitched whistle years back, was almost inaudible to humans. I think you can train a dog to return to the sound of these whistles easy enough by giving treats when they come, and the high pitch means you can blow it as hard as you can without disturbing people or looking strange running around shouting out a ridiculous name of your dog when you are searching for him.

I use an Acme 210.5 - I didnt pick that tone for a reason it's just that came from ebay so I stuck with it! It takes time to condition them - a few weeks indoors/with no distractions then out with a long lead to practice in the real work but I find it brilliant. Some times my dog is miles away out at the sea where my vouce wouldn't carry but he can hear the whistle and knows it means come back NOW!

I haven't yet come across a device that would fit this requirement and it's an awful shame that some pet company have yet to invent something along the lines of the key finder you mentioned.
    Short of securing a small cheap mobile phone to his collar with loud ring tone that could remain water tight i don't have any other alternatives presently!
    how about a waterproof high vis flashing collar? ( these they make)
    http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v1/363578686/LED_high_visibility_dog_collar.jpg_220x220.jpg

You might like to check out the training DVD- 'Really Reliable Recall'- Leslie Nelson. Lots of great advice and exercises to build a more solid recall.
    Happy training.

I bring my dog out in the garden a few time s day everyday. he runs away out of the garden about once or twice a month. So the flashing collar isn't really a solution, as I would have to remember to turn it on every time we go out.

I am going to buy a whistle, although I can't see it working. He is generally a well trained dog (he sits, spins, lies down rolls over on command. In the park he comes when called). It's just in the garden he runs off after foxes. I can't see him ever returning when called when he is off smelling/looking for foxes.

I am really surprised the product I described doesn't exist. it seems like it could be a useful alternative to expensive GPS systems. All I want is the key finder, only sturdier and waterproof.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Can you not just fence your garden, to stop him running off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

DBB wrote: »
    There are remote-controlled terrier-finders and ferret-finders used by hunters to locate their lost underground creatures via a loud alarm, but they are expensive! A quick google has suggested a ferret finder will set yuou back €80ish, a terrier-finder €190:eek:

They are only good for a certain distance, close enough distance aswel, plus the part you hold is the part that makes the noise ;) the distance the dog would run the finder wont even beep!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

They are only good for a certain distance, close enough distance aswel, plus the part you hold is the part that makes the noise ;) the distance the dog would run the finder wont even beep!

Ah! I've never seen one in action, only heard of them amongst ferret folk. Thanks for the info!
    Me, I'm waiting to see OP on Dragon's Den with a new, cheap, dog-finding alarm ;)

I have visions of a harness with indicators on it and a remote like a car alarm :D

ISDW wrote: »
    Can you not just fence your garden, to stop him running off?
    It's a walled garden. He jumps the 5 ft wall no problem.It's quite a large garden, a fence would cost thousands.
    I have visions of a harness with indicators on it and a remote like a car alarm :D

Haha :) ... i really just want a small thing i can attach to his collar. I know it's not what i described isn't a perfect solution for finding lost dogs, but no one on here has said it is a bad idea... I am surprised this doesn't exist.

How about... a set of walkie talkies - they usually have a call/beep function and a waterproof pouch attached to his collar/harness - I got on of the pouches from ebay for my keys when I decided I wanted to go in the sea with my dog - he thought it was fantastic and went bananas lol :pac: Hell you could use a cheap/old mobile in the pouch and ring it lol :p

How about... a set of walkie talkies - they usually have a call/beep function and a waterproof pouch attached to his collar/harness - I got on of the pouches from ebay for my keys when I decided I wanted to go in the sea with my dog - he thought it was fantastic and went bananas lol :pac: Hell you could use a cheap/old mobile in the pouch and ring it lol :p

would be quite heavy...i'm not sure he'd like that :rolleyes:
    interesting. I didn't realise you could use GPS trackers without a monthly subscription.
    Does anyone know how accurate the GPS location is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

i know the gps in an iphone 4 is off by roughly 10-20feet, the iphone 5 is slightly better thats only 5-10 feet.

not sure how this would compare to a device that is specifically designed to be located.

Advertisement