Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vintage Bike Ride Commemorating Shay Elliott - Saturday 22nd June, Wicklow

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭

In 1963 Shay Elliott took the yellow jersey in the Tour de France by winning the 3rd stage to Roubaix - he wore the jersey for the following three days. This was a fantastic achievement in the golden age of cycling and wouldn't it be great to commemorate it with a vintage run on the 50th anniversary.

What is proposed is a vintage bike ride meeting at 10am at The Beehive Inn on the N11 South of Wicklow on Saturday the 22nd of June. The spin will travel along Deputy's Pass with, depending on feedback, perhaps two routes one of 50miles and the other about 80miles - both preferably taking in the Shay Elliott climb and a stop in Laragh - finishing back at The Beehive.

Riders are encouraged to bring their old steel bikes, woolen jerseys, toe clips, lace up cycle shoes, and mass start caps - whatever! - the older the better, to engender the spirit of the golden age. The bringing of any memorabilia is also encouraged.

The spirit of this event is a club style spin marking Shay Elliott's great achievement 50 years ago. This is an informal ride so no fees are attached, cyclists are reminded to wear their helmets, bring their own supplies, obey the rules of the road, look out for each other & enjoy themselves.

Feedback welcome - why not share some golden age memories or photos - or post a pic of your bike for the ride. Feel free to share the word.

In the meantime the following article based on Graham Healy's book on Shay Elliott will be of interest: http://www.cyclismas.com/2011/11/the-flahute/

Best wishes,

Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Slo_Rida

Sounds AWESOME!
    No notion of me getting up for it but the very best of luck with it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭happytramp

Excellent idea. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Brendan Hennessy

Thanks folks,

A bit of momentum building up - do spread the word.

Anybody got a vintage british thread headset - someting suitable for a 50's ligweight preferbaly. Also looking for Campagnolo Gran Sport parts.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Need a photographer? I'd love to do this...

Hi Monkeyslayer,

A friend is hoping to come up from Cork with a camera too - but, in the spirit of the spin, why not come along too. I hope there will be plenty to photo too. If anyone notices silvo and brillo pad sales spike it'll be a sure sign of chrome!

Brendan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Cool might do, I don't drive so if can figure out the logistics i'll be down

Surely this would seem like an ideal opportunity for Tax Man to dust off some of those vintage beauties! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Hope to bring the oldest of the collection,that would be the Road Ace.
    Not sure stuff from the 90's is considered "vintage."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭hesker

Great idea. Would be there but I'm moving house that weekend. Best of luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭ThreeBlindMice

My old butted Reynolds is now a "fixie". :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭redzerredzer

OP, will you lend me a vintage bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

My old butted Reynolds is now a "fixie". :mad:

And your penance is to ride this on it!

Hi Redzer x 2,

Much as I'd love to I think they may all be called on already - unless of course you fancy a pre-war fixie. I could put a freewheel on it. Now there's a penance for any crime inquitus!

Hopefully others may be willing, get looking in those sheds.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

What sort of gradients are we talking here? I may have a choice of one suitable steel bike that day and it's running 48x16.

Ah Dermot, Illogical indeed!

The spin will go over Glenmalure, so while not to rule a fixed wheel out, you would be walking.

But that's the spirit of the day doing old roads on old bikes. 48 x 16 would be pushing it however, so I'd recommend hiking boots also. A derailleur and freewheel would probably be better though.

Brendan

You've convinced me. I'll do it.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Daithi BC

I'd love to do this, but will be away on holidays that weekend. If anyone's interested in doing a recce beforehand, let me know.

You've convinced me. I'll do it.
    Thanks!

Just concentrate on how awesome you'll look and it'll be grand....

02_garrigou_a+1910.jpg

happytramp wrote: »
    Just concentrate on how awesome you'll look and it'll be grand....

Just need to take a trip to Carroll's gift shop for a flat cap and I'll be sorted. Already know how to walk on hills. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

got a map of that route anyone?

Beehive over Drumgoff before Laragh and back how?

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Route being mapped and will post shortly. Ideally would like to keep people together over the Shay Elliott climb and then offer the option of a longer spin for those who wish and a shorter return to the start for those ready for home. Hoping to have both an 80mile and 50mile route. In the meantime check if your derailleurs can handle 42x28!

Dáithí BC - will let you know if I'll be up for a recce.

Thanks for the interest,

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭25sean

looking forward to this event.. good few mates up for it too, all sporting vintage bikes and kits..

based in dublin so would like to pedal out to it and back.. not overly concerned with distance, once not too far beyond 120/130 kms. i think your based further south brendan, are you

anyhow.. spreading the word.. up on bray wheelers site forum as well..

let us know if you need any help

thanks

Hi Folks,

I spent the last hour trying to upload this ad. I hope you enjoy it!

8870531819_f49960ee83_c.jpg

8870531819_f49960ee83_c.jpg
    Jacques-Anquetil-1962-1 by Didawah, on Flickr

lWhile we're at it..... Shay leading the way for Jacques Anquetil at the 1960 Giro.

Elliott1960-2.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Although it's 30yrs old,my ride looks way too modern for this event.

IMAG0083.jpg

Some of you eagle eyed viewers might spot some differences since I last posted the Road Ace.(ignore saddle\water bottle)

I'm no eagle eyed viewer but that 20(22) rear cog needs to go.....

Also, I'm no dic*head either but surely you could find somewhere more epic to photo your bikes instead of in front of you're kitchen/bananas, no? ;)

Btw..... this thread needs more bike pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Dura Ace

Fear not tax man

Your bike is just perfect for the event - nice memories too as I had one myself!

Dura-ace thanks for the link, looking forward to checking it out later.

Agree Happytramp, - I've a nice pic of a Helyett which I'll post tonight.

Sorry I haven't route maps yet, but working on it. Brendan

• Advertisement

Hi all,

Here's the Helyett Speciale as promised. This one is allegedly from 1963, but by this time Gitane had bought Helyett and Shay Elliott would have ridden a Gitane in the '63 Tour de France. Would anybody have a colour picture of one? I think it was blue.

Best Brendan

8900306364_5fce314f8b_o.jpg

Advertisement