Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who owns artwork created for a client

• 15-05-2013 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick query for you if you don't mind....

I have a pal who is a graphic designer and he did some work for a client which included the creation of a couple of booklets which were then printed as per the scope of the job.....

Now he charged €20 per page to try and cover costs for the design, (he said he did this as a habit and would usually charge upwards of €45 per page) and then charged anothe tor price for the printing job...

The client is nowemanding all the printable pdf files and threatened to sue my friend of which my mate its refusing to give them up as he thinks he has ownership rights as the creator of the work....

I really dont want my friend to get into any trouble, so is he correct in assuming that he owns the work that he design

There was now contact or agreement signed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

As long as he didn't sign over the copyright he retains it. It has a value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Happyman42 wrote: »
    As long as he didn't sign over the copyright he retains it. It has a value.

Thats brilliant, thank you... So the client didn't have a leg to stand on and will not be able to pursue it through the courts...

He tells me he also created the clients logos and did not charge for them....

would he be within his rights to ask his client to removed the logos he created? Seeing as the client iss being a prat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Thats brilliant, thank you... So the client didn't have a leg to stand on and will not be able to pursue it through the courts...

He tells me he also created the clients logos and did not charge for them....

would he be within his rights to ask his client to removed the logos he created? Seeing as the client iss being a prat...

The law is similar here to the UK. Send him a link to something like this http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/resources-and-events/designers/guides/legal-issues/ and tell hiim to desist or you will withdraw rights to logo. Include an estimate of copyright costs, if he wants to buy it and use a heavy hand! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭dozy doctor

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The law is similar here to the UK. Send him a link to something like this http://www.designcouncil.org.uk/resources-and-events/designers/guides/legal-issues/ and tell hiim to desist or you will withdraw rights to logo. Include an estimate of copyright costs, if he wants to buy it and use a heavy hand! ;)

Thanks a million Happyman.... I really appreciate all your efforts.... I know my pal well be pleased ;)

Thanks again....

Advertisement