Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's there to do in the UK?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Who me?
    Oh I dunno.

Lots of stuff. Like for example tonight I went into work after every one had left and put black lids on all the blue pens. It's a comment on class segregation in the work place. I call it fart hands. Before I swapped the pension I farted on my hands. But that's not important right now.

Cambridge is nice OP.

I have lived, worked and travelled the length and breadth of the U.K. and Edinburgh and Cambridge are outstanding.
    Oxford, York and Chester are all stunning but if anybody wants to go for a city break don't look further than Cambridge and Edinburgh.
    I lived in Edinburgh and East Lothian for six years and never got tired of that city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

We lived in York for 7 years and really enjoyed it, there's lots to see and do. Easy to head off to Leeds and Manchester from there as well. You could try Devon and Cornwall too at the opposite end of the country, beautiful parts of England and a lot cheaper than London. I never liked London. When we'd travel from York to London to see the inlaws I found it depressing, the closer the train gets to London the more bleak it gets imho.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I have lived, worked and travelled the length and breadth of the U.K. and Edinburgh and Cambridge are outstanding.
    Oxford, York and Chester are all stunning but if anybody wants to go for a city break don't look further than Cambridge and Edinburgh.
    I lived in Edinburgh and East Lothian for six years and never got tired of that city.

I still haven't been to Edinburgh. I really must go.

Possibility the weather might be better down south at the moment though...?

I'm unsure of what I'll do with my time once I get there. Any suggestions? :)

If someone told you they had money and said "I am going into dublin City - what should I buy" you might appreciate how vague this question is. It really depends on what the questioner is into. Books - night life - drink - food - history - paint balling - excitment - sports - the list is endless. Without more information you can not really help them much.

Similarly asking what there is to do or where to go in the UK is a question that needs a host more data to go on than that. Theres everything from city shoping to adventure parks to history to be explored. And landscape. If you are into ales and beers there are places to go to test the real locally made stuff. If you like the quiet relaxing life than a few days in a B+B in the Dales or the Lake District would be for you.

Other than that there is little more we can do for you save suggesting you read the Lonely Planet guide to the UK from cover to cover and just see what jumps out at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

If your including transport and accommodation in that budget, London isn't really doable I'm afraid.

Yes it is, you would get a flit for less that 100, stay in an easy hotel or a hostel( hostel would be better if you are on you own) you should get a room in one for less that 35 make sure its near an undergorund...get an oyster card...go to museums that are free...eat in Indians restaurants you would get a main course for less that 10...find a cheap pub..london can be as cheap or expensive as you make it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I do think if it you first time in London it is worth getting the open top tour bus, don't know how much it costs. It will take you to all the main tourists attractions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Cut costs and try some couchsurfing! though 400-500eur is plenty for two days unless you're staying in the Dorchester.

If you go off the idea of England try Edinburgh. Lovely spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

Never been abroad before so you decide to go to the UK. It's kind of like saying I've never eaten foreign cuisine before so I think I'll buy a french stick down in the Spar.

Go further afield man! Barcelona, Paris, Prague, Madrid, Rome, Amsterdam, Vienna, Stockholm, Milan, Florence!!! Not fúcking Birmingham or Manchester.

It's true. If you came to Spain, you'd spend a lot less money. You can get pissed on a tenner here! Weather is great at the moment, so you can just walk around, sit in the park and get a farmer's tan. Plus it'd be something completely different.

It's true. If you came to Spain, you'd spend a lot less money. You can get pissed on a tenner here! Weather is great at the moment, so you can just walk around, sit in the park and get a farmer's tan. Plus it'd be something completely different.

Might be great down there where you are but it's effing freezing up here!

• Advertisement

gramar wrote: »
    Might be great down there where you are but it's effing freezing up here!

Where art thou?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Gloucester,fantastic place.Visit the Cotswolds,watch the horse racing, you're near bristol and bath, 2 beautiful cities and near Wales if you fancy a change of accent

Where art thou?

Blustery Burgos

gramar wrote: »
    Blustery Burgos

I heard it's snowing there! That's the coldest part of Spain, isn't it? Actually I spoke too soon....today has turned a bit ****ty. Hopefully nicer again next week.

I heard it's snowing there! That's the coldest part of Spain, isn't it? Actually I spoke too soon....today has turned a bit ****ty. Hopefully nicer again next week.

Don't listen to her OP, it's not that bad the snow is only on the highground!
    Pack yer shorts and yer sandals!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Personally, if it's a city you're looking for, I wouldn't bother with anywhere except London your first time. Most towns and cities in the UK have the same chain bars, nightclubs, shops and restaurants. It's actually a bit depressing to travel around.

London has that, sure, plus so much more in terms of markets, boutiques, bars, theatres, world class restaurants and museums.

• Advertisement
Advertisement