Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its Just Missing A Little Something

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm just looking for a little help with a couple dishes

First Dish

Chili
    So I love a bit of chili, but sometimes when I make it, its only okay and I feel its just missing something. I make the chili with either Mince or lentils.

Normally its
    Tinned Tomatoes
    Tomatoe Puree
    Red kidney Beans
    Chili Powder
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Onion
    Mushrooms

So is there anything I'm missing there? Is there some common ingredient i'm missing?

Second Dish

Bolognese
    Same as the chili, sometimes I make it, its unreal but more often than not its more along the lines of meh...

Again I make this with either mince or lentils...

Normally
    Tinned Tomatoes
    Tomatoe Puree
    Basil
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Onion
    Mushrooms

Sometimes I'll add some veg into it just to bulk it up...

But any advice would be greatly appreciated, also any herbs or spices that could work in both dishes would be great, always looking to maximize my weekly shop and achieve economy of scale:D

P.S
    If anyone could tell me the difference between wholegrain rice and Brown Basmati Rice I'd be grateful

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Cooking Club Chilli is amazing, worth the extra effort. Maybe compare the recipies and try adding some of the stuff from the cooking club version into yours.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There's a whole thread devoted to spaghetti bolognese here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055274445

and as decisions said, the cooking club chilli recipe is excellent: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055938138

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

The Bolognese is missing red wine! I sometimes add a grated carrot for bulk and sweetness, celery, garlic and maybe bacon fried off at the start, really rounds out the flavour, if it still doesn't taste right a few drops of lea and perrins usually sorts it for me!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A splash of Vermouth can also work wonders instead of wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭dee_mc

oscarBravo wrote: »
    A splash of Vermouth can also work wonders instead of wine.
    Interesting, must try this!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, for the Bolognese you need to be starting off with an onion, grated carrot and chopped celery sweated off for a while until soft but not browned, then add a bit of crushed garlic and some Oregano or Marjoram, and salt & pepper.

I also add a bit of beef stock when adding the tin of tomatoes, then reduce the whole thing down.

You could also try browning the mince in bacon fat.

And I've heard that white instead of red wine is a good idea too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

For the chili are you using whole or ground cumin?

I find I get a much better flavour if I dry fry the whole cumin for just a little while and then grind it with a mortar n' pestle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Both dishes need garlic. The chilli will really benefit from a pinch of cayenne and ground coriander, as well as a spoonful or two of chipotle paste. Just before serving, stir in a big bunch of chopped fresh coriander and the juice of a lime.

As others have said, your bolognese needs to start with a sofritto of onions, celery and carrot. Chopped pancetta in after this. Dezglaze the pan with wine or vermouth, then make as normal. Most people could easily double-up on the amount of oregano they put into a bolognese too.

Also - salt and pepper! Season just before serving, when you can properly taste the dish. A lot of people are gone so terrified of salt that they're not seasoning at ALL anymore, but nearly every dish needs some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Chilli needs coriander (ground and fresh), green cardamom, dried oregano and cocoa powder.

Bolognese needs lots of garlic and lots of wine- I usually put in about 500ml for a big pot (4l). I buy boxed cask wine for this- it stays fresh for 6 weeks and is cheap. I also add pesto to the onions and garlic. Bolognese's flavour improves over time so try to make it early in the day if not the day before.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    Chilli needs coriander (ground and fresh), green cardamom, dried oregano and cocoa powder.

If you're going to go down the chocolate route (and personally, I don't like it in chilli, I think it's better suited to mole poblano), I'd go with grated actual chocolate rather than cocoa powder. Something with at least 80% cocoa solids.

I've never tried cardamom in it, though, will definitely have to give that a go next time. How much do you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

For the bolognese, I once got a tip about a splash of balsamic vinegar (as well as some salt/sugar into the tinned tomatoes) which really improved mine. And second the tip about eating it the next day (after a long slow cook)

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭the-ging

Honey-ec wrote: »
    I've never tried cardamom in it, though, will definitely have to give that a go next time. How much do you use?

I also throw a star anise in my chili, also if you like it a bit sweeter a splash of sweet chili sauce! (got that suggestion from Nigella)

Honey-ec wrote: »
    If you're going to go down the chocolate route (and personally, I don't like it in chilli, I think it's better suited to mole poblano), I'd go with grated actual chocolate rather than cocoa powder. Something with at least 80% cocoa solids.

I use three small pods, cracked, for a 4l pot. I sometimes use chocolate instead of cocoa but I prefer the effect of pure cocoa powder, its hard to find chocolate without sugar or soy. I like the way the cocoa enriches the dish and thickens up the liquid from the tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭twerg_85

As well as everything above (especially the garlic !), a touch of nutmeg (and even a small bit of chilli) can liven up a bolognese.

F.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Garlic.

I've never heard of anybody making bolognese without garlic. I've no idea if it's part of the original/traditional version or not, but all versions I've tried have had garlic.
    Some people also like a splash of Worcestershire sauce in bolognese,or a teaspoon of chilli powder to give it a kick for a change sometimes.

I'd put some garlic in the chilli too. I love garlic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Damn, yeah garlic is very important.

also consider adding some smoked paprika to your chili towards the end of the cooking time , but not much more than a 1/2-1 teaspoonful, it's pretty powerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Chopped whole peppers in the chilli for me, I usually add sweetcorn and peas as well. I like to go easy on the cumin and heavy on the paprika.

A pinch of sugar into any recipe that uses tinned tomatoes always helps.

I would use a couple of cloves of garlic when sweating the onions, especially in the bolognese.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Chilli - add a bit of ground coriander and a good bit of cocoa powder. It seems like an old-wives tale, but ALWAYS make the chilli the day before, the improvement in the flavour is worth the hassle. Always stick in a load of garlic.

Bolognese - LOADS of garlic. I always use half beef, half pork mince. Also, opnce your onion/carrot/celery is nicely sweated, I put in some finely chopped smoked pancetta. I add chicken liver for richness as well, just chop finely and brown the same way you would the beef/pork. Lastly, lash a load of nutmeg in.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

you're chili could be missing beer, some good quality IPA. Also some chocolate and if you want a stronger beefy flavour use chunks of shin (or any stewing/braising cut) and simmer for about 3-4 hours. If I'm using mince I'll still cook chili for at least 3 hours.
    Plenty of salt and try chicken or beef stock too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ultrasonic

Bacon added to both.

Chili needs a couple of large peppers... and when almost cooked, a jar of jalapenos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ultrasonic

Here's my 3-in-1 recipe: (Bolonese, Chili and Lasagne)

Fry 2 medium onions in olive oil until nearly cooked, remove from saucepan.
    Brown 800g minced beef, drain the resultant "juice" (ie. water)
    Add tomato puree (1 tube or 2 small tins)
    Add 2 tins of whole plum tomatoes (less the juice)
    Add 2 large peppers, cut into strips
    Add 1 packet of rashers, cut into strips
    Add 2 glasses of red wine
    Throw the onions back in to the saucepan

According to which dish I am making, I now add:

Generous amounts of black pepper, dried basil and dried oregano
    1 pack of mushrooms, chopped
    3 or 4 cloves garlic, crushed

or:

Generous amounts of hot chili powder, paprika and cayenne pepper
    Tin of kidney beans, washed in colander
    3 red chilis chopped small
    Jar of jalapenos when it has almost finished cooking.

Simmer both for as long as possible on a low heat, stirring every 10 minutes or so. If possible, make 24 hours in advance so the flavours come out. Don't forget lashings of sour cream with the chili!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭INEEDANID

My secret ingredient is cocoa, it adds a lovely flavor and colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Chilli needs fresh chilli and dried chillies (chipotle and arancho).

Slow cook the bejesus out of both dishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,589 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

For bolognese, I prepare it with the carrot/celery/onion sofrito as mentioned before and stew the beef and bacon with red wine, milk and some beef stock.

Separately, i pour a 680g bottle of passata into a sauce pan and heat at medium-high for 20-30 mins (until the point of burning the bottom of the pot) to reduce the passata. After reducing to a simmer, I then stir in a decent amount of olive oil so the passata absorbs it all before adding crushed garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Just as the beef has stewed enough, I then add the contents of the two pots together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Separately, i pour a 680g bottle of passata into a sauce pan and heat at medium-high for 20-30 mins (until the point of burning the bottom of the pot) to reduce the passata. After reducing to a simmer, I then stir in a decent amount of olive oil so the passata absorbs it all before adding crushed garlic, basil, oregano, salt and pepper.

That also functions perfectly as pizza sauce.

I'll try to do a little recap (stuff in bold is pointers gleaned from the thread or stuff I've added):

Chili

Tinned Tomatoes/Passata (smoother richer sauce imo)
    Tomatoe Puree
    Red kidney Beans
    Chili Powder
    Cumin
    Paprika
    Onion
    Mushrooms

Onion seeds - fry with onion at the start
    Stick of Cinammon - leave whole
    Bay leaves - leave whole
    Coriander seeds
    Fresh Coriander (just before serving)
    Nutmeg
    Star Anise
    Cardomom (might be worth trying black cardomom - smokier richer flavour)
    Smoked Paprika
    Beer/Wine
    Garlic (I use 6 decent sized cloves for every 2lbs of meat)
    Grated Carrot
    Finely diced celery (nobody likes big chunks of celery :P)
    Dried smoked chilies - you can soke these in a little bit of water and blend with the tomato paste.

Use one of those smoked bacon joints (cut all the fat off in one lump and put it in like that. It's easier to fish out at the end. Dice the rest)
    Don't use mince - use diced beef (decent quality otherwise it's dry and crumbly).
    If you've got some beef shin bones to throw in, even better.

Second Dish

Bolognese

Tinned Tomatoes/Passata
    Tomatoe Puree
    Basil (and fresh Basil to Serve)
    Oregano
    Thyme
    Onion
    Mushrooms

Use mix of beef/pork mince
    Smoked bacon joint
    Garlic
    Bay leaves
    Grated Carrot
    Finely diced celery
    Wine/Vermouth
    Nutmeg
    Cherry tomatoes - about 10 minutes before you're ready to serve - you want them to be cooked and bursting with sweetness but not melt into the rest of the sauce.

In both cases seriously brown the meat - do it in small batches - 400g or so at a time. To save time, start the meat browning first while you prepare the veg.

I cook it over 5-8 hours in the oven at about 140C-150C.

Use whole spices where possible.
    Cumin, Coriander, black pepper, star anise, green cardomom pods, should be dry roasted on a frying pan. If they're smoking you've burnt them. Try again.
    They're done when you start getting the aromas coming out of the pan.

Grind them in a spice grinder.

Don't grind up nutmeg - it's very strong. You only need to grate a little bit in.
    Don't grind up whole black cardomom. Green is fine but black is a bit more woody. Crack them open and take out the seeds.

If either requires sweetening I use my trusty squeezy bottle of honey (handy for cooking).

If you get the chili sauce really thick you can also eat it with tortillas without making a complete mess - add on a bit of lettuce, a dollop of sour cream (or natural yoghurt for the healthy - almost as good) and a bit of grated cheese.
    That's for lunch the day after.

Both are definitely better the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

twerg_85 wrote: »
    As well as everything above (especially the garlic !), a touch of nutmeg (and even a small bit of chilli) can liven up a bolognese.

F.

+1 on the nutmeg front here a little bit creates a sort of background flavour to the mix which I have used also I read or heard somewhere that the tinned tomatoes can be very acidic and can kill some of the flavour and you can use a pinch of sugar to neutralise it

so 2 pinches of nutmeg and a pinch of sugar

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    I buy boxed cask wine for this- it stays fresh for 6 weeks and is cheap.

Where do you buy inexpensive boxed wine? I see it in tesco, a 3l box for like €20/25, which is nearly more expensive than buying single bottles for €5/6 each.

Where do you buy inexpensive boxed wine? I see it in tesco, a 3l box for like €20/25, which is nearly more expensive than buying single bottles for €5/6 each.

I don't live in Ireland, so maybe its cheaper to buy it by the bottle there. Here you can get 3l for around $18 (I usually wait for a special offer) and the cheapest 750ml bottle is $7. I miss cheap wine :(

Aldi do boxed wine for about €15 a pop, I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I live in the UK and because sterling and euro is almost 1:1 I'd advise anyone to take a trip up to Norn Iron to stock up on booze.Tesco always have decent booze deals, I got bottles of top quality prosecco yesterday reduced to £6....happy Merkin!! :D

Advertisement