Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rural Broadband availability

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I am looking into getting a new broadband as 3 Mobile has killed me, The Speeds are slow but the Data Caps have me at a noose i use steam a lot to download games and game online and 3 Mobile are useless for it,

I looked into a company Called Rural Broadband Who say i can get their broadband as they have a mast in or near clogheen which is about 2km from my house They offer unlimitied downloads which is what i need for steam, I want to ask have any members used them and are they reliable or do they just lie about their speeds like 3 mobile Do?

Eircom is a no go as i dont even have a Phone line

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

I am looking into getting a new broadband as 3 Mobile has killed me, The Speeds are slow but the Data Caps have me at a noose i use steam a lot to download games and game online and 3 Mobile are useless for it,

I looked into a company Called Rural Broadband Who say i can get their broadband as they have a mast in or near clogheen which is about 2km from my house They offer unlimitied downloads which is what i need for steam, I want to ask have any members used them and are they reliable or do they just lie about their speeds like 3 mobile Do?

Eircom is a no go as i dont even have a Phone line

You are a bit limited if you don't have a phone line...

Where is clogheen?

Let us know where it is and we can make (limited) suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

If you have a clear line of sight to the the mast from your house, you should be able to get a pretty solid fixed wireless connection. I'm not really sure how RuralBroadband works, I'm gonna give them a ring tomorrow and see as I'm looking to switch from three. Their site says I can get their broadband, but I can't get fixed wireless from other providers due to no clear line of sight to the mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 VictoryForCake

Clogheen is in south tipp about 7-8 km from the cork border, Generally there is no dial up or Dsl in the area and only 3 have any signal at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Clogheen is in south tipp about 7-8 km from the cork border

Try airwave Internet, I think they operate around there also. I have them the last 5 or more years and do gaming, steaming Netflix etc no bother.

They also do a phone service so you can dump your landline if you have One!

Try airwave Internet, I think they operate around there also. I have them the last 5 or more years and do gaming, steaming Netflix etc no bother.

They also do a phone service so you can dump your landline if you have One!

That does look good but i am just outside the coverage area and even still 120Gb is pretty good but it can be used up fast, They claim To be in the area this company does http://ruralbroadband.ie/

• Advertisement

Clogheen is in south tipp about 7-8 km from the cork border, Generally there is no dial up or Dsl in the area and only 3 have any signal at all

try:

Solar broadband http://www.solarbroadband.ie/
    Munster wireless http://www.munsterwireless.com
    Airwave : http://www.airwave.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

That does look good but i am just outside the coverage area and even still 120Gb is pretty good but it can be used up fast, They claim To be in the area this company does http://ruralbroadband.ie/

Was it on a map you saw the coverage? A lot of the operators tend to be located at the same site, I think in this case it would be on Mitchelstown hillside.

Solar and munster cover my area but are they sat because if they are the ping is too high, Also how do they work?

Solar and munster cover my area but are they sat because if they are the ping is too high, Also how do they work?

No they are FWA (Fixed Wireless) pings aren't usually too bad on FWA.

Ping on sat connections is awful... 800ms or so, so no good for gaming or most real uses of broadband that's true.

And Eircom just announced 4G broadband but not for rural areas, They should be brought to the EU court for business discrimination

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,492 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I just had Rural Broadband installed in my house, you need line of sight to their antennas but they have a lot more antennas than most other fixed wireless providers.I tried to get Permanet before but I didn't have line of sight, Rural BB had an alternative attena in a different direction so I was able to get it off that. The 2 lads who did it were very friendly and professional. Odds are the most you'll get is 3mb but one the guys was saying that they are trying to upgrade the masts in the near future.
    This is what i'm currently getting.
    2844935680.png

Advertisement