Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Setting Out with an EDM

Options
  • 15-05-2013 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi every one,
    Is it possible to set out a building using a total station when their are no control points around the site and the cad drawing is not coordinated

How would you go about setting up your own control points and coordinating the drawing. I just cant figure out how I would set up my own stations as when I set out on jobs the control stations are already set around the site.

Thanks for your help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

"move" bld on cad to coordinate point as required say 000,000 or just use id for coord value.

what are he known points on the drawing and he ground that can be accurately identified. set up from them, you will have the coords off he cad dwgs using id

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

I would be careful with this one. If you 'assume' fixed points to reference off that are shown on your drawing you could be way off the agreed set out that was agreed for planning e.g. existing buildings. This may be the case as the position of the existing buildings may not be accurate on the drawing compared to what is there.

If the set out is critical, I would insist on control points from the client / design team. Or at least fixed dimensions from existing structures from which you could set up a local grid. My advice would be not to take responsibility for this. This way you can not be held liable at a later stage as these dims can be easily verified at any stage. I have worked with survey drawings issued to me which are incorrect with items being metres from where they actually are in reality. This could be critical when considering distances to Roadways / existing buildings etc.

Also, have a look at the layers on the drawing. The control points from the original topo survey may have been frozen or turned off by the draughtsman for clarity. Failing this you could contact the original survey company and ask them for the co-ordinates of control points which may be close or outside the site (if they still exist). They may charge for this!

If the set is not critical, the method that holdfast states will work fine. Use the corners of know points (e.g. corners of buildings) to set up your own local grid which co-ordinates can be generated from.

Similar holds true for level benchmarks - my advice, never assume

Advertisement