Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper width

• 15-05-2013 11:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

A quick question, I am thinking of buying a camper but the pillars on my driveway are only 2.4m wide. Will your average camper fit through? I am thinking on the lines of a ford 2.5l 6 berth late 90s style camper.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Cocoon wrote: »
    A quick question, I am thinking of buying a camper but the pillars on my driveway are only 2.4m wide. Will your average camper fit through? I am thinking on the lines of a ford 2.5l 6 berth late 90s style camper.

Width, not including mirrors, is usually about 2.2m but can be up to 2.35m depending on make/model :eek:

Don't forget what the gates/hinges take up, it's not all about the gap between the pillars themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 600 ✭✭✭Cocoon

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Width, not including mirrors, is usually about 2.2m but can be up to 2.35m depending on make/model :eek:

Don't forget what the gates/hinges take up, it's not all about the gap between the pillars themselves.

With the gates and hinges i'd have less than 2.4m so if we go ahead and buy a camper the gates have to go, distance between the 2 pillars is exactly 2.4m so if the camper is 2.3m could I get it into the driveway? Don't want to go knocking walls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Cocoon wrote: »
    With the gates and hinges i'd have less than 2.4m so if we go ahead and buy a camper the gates have to go, distance between the 2 pillars is exactly 2.4m so if the camper is 2.3m could I get it into the driveway? Don't want to go knocking walls.

You can hang the gates on the back of the pillar on an offset hinge so that you get the full width, my brother had to do this as planning have prohibited any modifications in his area.

Whether you can get in with 100mm to spare depends on the space you have in front you'd need to be coming in exactly perpendicular really.

What I can tell you is that my father in laws neighbours in the process of extending their house shaved 4 inches off the father in laws parking space (i'd have made him knock it) leaving him with 4 inches to park his hymer. It was just about doable but it put him right off taking it out for casual/day trips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

I just moved the pillars back,better than putting a nasty mark down the side of your nice new van

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

My MH is a 6 berth on a Ford, a few years newer but I'd say the shape is similar. Just measured it, its 2.25m at its widest.

But as already suggested, I wouldn't be playing around with 10cm, 5cm each side:eek:

Look up local directories, ads in supermarkets, you'll get a labourer/handy man who'll move your pillar a foot or two. I'd be surprised if it cost you any more than €250 - but I'm no expert on pricing

• Advertisement
Advertisement