Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to find owner of derelict house?

Options
  • 15-05-2013 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭

There's a vacant / derelict house I've been admiring for at least 3 years in a well established desirable area.Is there an offiical way to find out who owns it (rather than asking around) and contact them in order to see if they would be tempted to sell?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You can do a search with the Property Registration Authority. It will cost a few euros.

http://www.landirect.ie/eng/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It is quite possible there is nobody living registered on the property. You then you may track down the legal owner through the family tree.

The reality is the local council can seize the property and then sell it. This is normally done by auction and they can put restrictions on how it is developed and ask to see the proposal as part of the bid.

If you can't find the person I would suggest don't bother it takes years to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Corrimbla

Also usually if you ask the neighbours in the area they might have an idea, and if its not registered you can find the last rates payer via the valuation office records. Of course those records are old but may be give you an indication of a family name etc who may still live in the locality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I saw the council demolish a derelict old house, and use the site to build council apartments ,in dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

riclad wrote: »
    I saw the council demolish a derelict old house, and use the site to build council apartments ,in dublin.

Same was done for my local library, however it takes quite a long time for that process to go end to end.

• Advertisement

Even if a house was empty for 20 years,the council would take a year or more to take it into their legal control.
    That house was empty at least 20 years ,before they knocked it down.
    it was just empty, it was not falling down,
    the last house, on a corner of a street.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Hope, you don't mind, me hijacking the thread ;)

The situation is, the house next to mine (other half of the semi detached, I'm living in), is empty for a good while, well it is, since I moved in over a year ago.

The front room window is smashed, there is always kids from the neighborhood hanging around in the front garden, throwing stones at the windows.

The Police was called, they only said, I could put some plank wood in front of the broken window, not really the answer, i was looking for, but anyway.

I checked with the websites mentioned above in order to find out, who owns the house, because I think, it should be up to the owner to look after the place.

But I'm afraid, those kids start on my house, so I need some sort of solution.

Any ideas, what I could do?

The parents of those kids seem to give a toss, telling me, their kids are innocent little angels, I'm really freaked out at the moment.

Thanks for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭LowKeyReturn

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Hope, you don't mind, me hijacking the thread ;)

The situation is, the house next to mine (other half of the semi detached, I'm living in), is empty for a good while, well it is, since I moved in over a year ago.

The front room window is smashed, there is always kids from the neighborhood hanging around in the front garden, throwing stones at the windows.

The Police was called, they only said, I could put some plank wood in front of the broken window, not really the answer, i was looking for, but anyway.

I checked with the websites mentioned above in order to find out, who owns the house, because I think, it should be up to the owner to look after the place.

But I'm afraid, those kids start on my house, so I need some sort of solution.

Any ideas, what I could do?

The parents of those kids seem to give a toss, telling me, their kids are innocent little angels, I'm really freaked out at the moment.

Thanks for your help :)

Move in - as soon as someone thinks there is someone making a play for adverse possession owner should show up. Roughly where it it?

Move in - as soon as someone thinks there is someone making a play for adverse possession owner should show up. Roughly where it it?

Collinswood, that's the name of the estate.

Seems though, someone heard my call, by coincidence I met an estate agent, he took over today. The house itself is in receivership for a good while, so he told me.

I just hope, that gang of kids will stay away from now on, hopefully, their parents have enough sense as well. I think, everyone deserves a life in peace.

They wont demolish it just to put that out there - you've an easement in regards to Semi-detached houses not looking 'odd'.

• Advertisement

They wont demolish it just to put that out there - you've an easement in regards to Semi-detached houses not looking 'odd'.

Sorry, didn't get your point there...'easement'? Do you mind explaining that to me? Thanks:)

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Sorry, didn't get your point there...'easement'? Do you mind explaining that to me? Thanks:)

An easement is a right over someone else's property. So if you lived in a terrace and the middle house was knocked down causing your walls to crack you would have had your easement of support violated (seems a strong word!) and could sue. Similarly you cant knock down one side of a semi as it would make the other side look odd.

You'll probably have a number of easements, well wayleaves, running across your property for electricity lines, water, sewerage etc.

WELL the council demolished, an old terraced house,corner house. built a large apartment block behind it, and on the site. but it fits in well with the street,

its designed to a high standard. it looks ok,

its up to the bank to make sure house is secure. to stop kids hanging around. or causing damage.

YOU can stand at the window, take a video, with a smartphone. Maybe show it to the gardai. if you see kids trying to get in or cause damage. you should contact the agent, Yay, i want the gas supply knocked off. for safety reasons. The gas company will knock it off. i don,t think its a good idea, to put the adress on the web,of an abandoned house. That has open windows, is not secured.

I know a house it was empty, it took bank about 8 months to sell it. they secured it and put in new locks on the doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭carveone

An easement is a right over someone else's property. So if you lived in a terrace and the middle house was knocked down causing your walls to crack you would have had your easement of support violated (seems a strong word!) and could sue. Similarly you cant knock down one side of a semi as it would make the other side look odd.

You'll probably have a number of easements, well wayleaves, running across your property for electricity lines, water, sewerage etc.

Apologies for reopening this thread - not too old though. But this is interesting. My cousin lives on a terrace of 5 houses, all old and closely connected. The last house in the row, #5, was some sort of boom time "project" that turned into a big mess and was abandoned. The roof is in, rats have taken up residence and as it's in a terrace, affects #4 beside it rather badly. It's unsaleable for one thing - damp is coming over and the rats are partying 24/7.

Is that an easement? One issue is that the property seems to be in NAMA. In which case noone will tell you anything. (Bet NAMA don't pay property tax either...). You can't take it, can't demolish it, can't move in and can't sue anyone :confused:

Thanks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭Bluegrass1

Victor wrote: »
    You can do a search with the Property Registration Authority. It will cost a few euros.

http://www.landirect.ie/eng/

Not all titles are registered, particularly in urban areas.

carveone wrote: »
    Apologies for reopening this thread - not too old though. But this is interesting. My cousin lives on a terrace of 5 houses, all old and closely connected. The last house in the row, #5, was some sort of boom time "project" that turned into a big mess and was abandoned. The roof is in, rats have taken up residence and as it's in a terrace, affects #4 beside it rather badly. It's unsaleable for one thing - damp is coming over and the rats are partying 24/7.

Is that an easement? One issue is that the property seems to be in NAMA. In which case noone will tell you anything. (Bet NAMA don't pay property tax either...). You can't take it, can't demolish it, can't move in and can't sue anyone :confused:

Thanks!

I'm afraid I'm simply a rather poor second year law student - so I wouldn't like to try and give you legal advice. It probably would be worth following it up with a solicitor. Shop around you might get a cheap/free consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

carveone wrote: »

Thanks!
    There is usually an entitlement to support and protection with terraces and semi-detached properties.

Talk to the council environmental health department about the rates and dangerous buildings if necessary about the house generally.

Thanks all. I'll tell the cousin to go and check that out. Given that it was one of those "build outside the realms of the planning permission and then apply for retention" type deals, which DLR council have been getting letters about for about 5 years now, they might be fed up with this house at this stage! I'm sure this is problem all over the place - I guess it would be worse if it was a semi-detached house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

If there are rats then get straight onto the council stating your health and safety are at risk especially your children or neighbours children.

If that fails get in touch with the likes of rentokil and get some bait.

If there are rats then get straight onto the council stating your health and safety are at risk especially your children or neighbours children.

If that fails get in touch with the likes of rentokil and get some bait.

Yes, rats can't be a good thing. Part of the issue is that the site is likely a death trap - there's I beams leaning against walls and the roof is falling in. Rather the council than me. I don't think rats can get from one house to the other but I'll mention that it's a bad idea to wait until they can !

• Advertisement

If the rats are there they will have no trouble getting into any other property especially looking for food.

Cats would be a great tool to have also.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Owldshtok wrote: »
    There's a vacant / derelict house I've been admiring for at least 3 years in a well established desirable area.Is there an offiical way to find out who owns it (rather than asking around) and contact them in order to see if they would be tempted to sell?

post office or post man/woman.

they are loaded with usefull info and more than likely put you on to the right track.

Move into the derelict property soon you will find out who owns it:pac:

NAMA has a website ,contact them, ask them if they own it.
    see your local td, i think the local council or health board ,will
    clean it up, iif they get a written complaint from local residents,
    BECAUSE its a public health risk to the neighbours.
    some ghost estates were demolished because they are a hazard and not worth maintaining in certain cases.
    each council has 1 or 2 persons whose job is it to deal with derelict houses ,buildings ,
    ITS UP TO you to contact them and make a formal complaint.
    they will contact the owner.
    either way they,ll sort it out,
    they,ll even demolish the house if the think its necessary.
    Theres specific laws regulations to deal with this situation.
    Take a few photos, and include with the letter .
    once the recieve a letter they have to do something about it.

Advertisement