Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Rep. of Ireland - May 29th 2013 - 8PM

• 16-05-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

fa-badges.jpg

Fai_logo_new.jpg

Ireland squad:
    Name Club DOB Caps Goals
    David Forde Millwall FC 20/12/1979 7 0
    Keiren Westwood Sunderland AFC 23/10/1984 14 0
    Darren Randolph Motherwell FC 12/05/1987 1 0
    John O’Shea Sunderland AFC 30/04/1981 87 1
    Sean St Ledger Leicester City FC 28/12/1984 33 2
    Damien Delaney Crystal Palace FC 20/7/1981 5 0
    Richard Keogh Derby County FC 11/8/1986 1 0
    Marc Wilson Stoke City FC 17/09/1987 5 1
    Seamus Coleman Everton FC 11/10/1988 10 0
    Stephen Kelly Reading FC 06/09/1983 32 0
    Darren O’Dea Toronto FC 04/02/1987 18 1
    Paul McShane Hull City FC 06/01/1986 29 0
    Glenn Whelan Stoke City FC 13/01/1984 47 2
    James McCarthy Wigan Athletic FC 12/11/1990 12 0
    Paul Green Leeds Utd FC 10/04/1983 16 0
    Jeff Hendrick Derby County FC 31/01/1992 1 0
    Aiden McGeady Spartak Moscow 04/04/1986 57 2
    Anthony Pilkington Norwich City FC 06/06/1988 0 0
    James McClean Sunderland AFC 22/04/1989 8 0
    Robbie Brady Hull City FC 14/01/1992 5 1
    David Meyler Hull City FC 29/05/1989 3 0
    Andy Keogh Millwall FC 16/05/1986 27 2
    Robbie Keane LA Galaxy FC 08/07/1980 123 54
    Shane Long West Bromwich Albion FC 22/01/1987 35 8
    Conor Sammon Derby County FC 06/11/1986 3 0
    Jon Walters Stoke City FC 20/09/1983 17 4
    Simon Cox Nottingham Forest FC 28/04/1987 22 3
    Wes Hoolahan Norwich City FC 20/05/1982 4 1

England squad:
    TBA
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/15/england-squad-roy-hodgson-friendlies?CMP=twt_gu

I predict this ain't gonna be pretty. :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Ain't gonna be pretty for England. Gwan the Ireland :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Giovanni Trapattoni says he intends to use the Republic of Ireland’s friendly against England at Wembley as a stepping stone to a new style of playing. The evolution is likely to be a stop-start affair, though, with Anthony Pilkington, who the Italian suggests is vital to the switch, set to miss the Faroe Islands qualifier while on his honeymoon.
    Speaking yesterday in Carrick on Shannon, where his squad announcement was held to help celebrate the 400th anniversary of the town’s charter, the Italian said that his intention is to play 4-5-1 against England with Pilkington out on one wing and, it seems, Wes Hoolahan in the centre.
    Quite what happens after that is unclear, however. The 74-year-old said Pilkington, who is also carrying a slight knee injury, “could be important against the Faroe Islands”, and indicated that he will talk with the player about his plans when the squad meet up in London on Sunday week. “He doesn’t know what will happen in the future but he will have many opportunities to go on honeymoon,” he observed.
    Trapattoni acknowledged, however, that there is the potential for Pilkington to encounter “problems with his wife” and didn’t seem optimistic regarding the prospect of the 24-year-old interrupting his honeymoon in order to travel to Dublin for the World Cup qualifier on June 7th.
    The manager’s positive reference to Hoolahan came when he was asked directly if he would use the Dubliner in the new system but he made it clear that the team must have wide players like Pilkington, who are capable of posing a threat to the opposition’s goal, if just one striker is to start.
    The likes of Aiden McGeady or Damien Duff simply didn’t score enough goals to make the switch a viable one in his opinion, and he said nothing to suggest that he feels Robbie Brady has come on enough to offer the option despite having made a generally positive start to his international career.

Mistrustful of Hoolahan
    The Italian, in any case, continues to give the impression that he is slightly mistrustful of Hoolahan who has yet to start a game for Ireland despite some impressive displays for Norwich; including against West Brom on Sunday when he contributed a great deal to the team’s success in front of goal.
    Shane Long, one suspects, would still be a preferred option but the striker will, along with James McCarthy, miss the Faroes game through suspension and Trapattoni says that he will let the pair head off for the summer rather than keep them around in order to drag them off to New York for the Spain game.
    If past experience is anything to go by then quite who will be around at that stage is open to question. Trapattoni didn’t sound entirely sure that everyone else would be around for all of the games and Robbie Keane may miss Wembley due to commitments with LA Galaxy, but the Italian insisted that the feedback he has received has generally been positive.
    Kevin Doyle, who will have surgery to address an Achilles problem, and Ciarán Clark, who has a foot problem will not travel but Glenn Whelan will be there for the qualifier at least, despite recent injury problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

This is going to be a massacre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People said the same about Sweden.

We might well do but if I got Euro for everytime I heard we get hammered I'd need no job.

England ain't exactly the greatest team ever. Better then us but not 'massacre' better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That_Guy wrote: »

If you think a team of Irishmen is going to lie down and be 'massacred' against England you've got another thing coming buddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If you think a team of Irishmen is going to lie down and be 'massacred' against England you've got another thing coming buddy.

Keiren Westwood - English
    Sean St Ledger - English
    Paul Green English
    Jonathan Walters - English
    I could go on

:D Pedantic Pat

England will win, but does it really matter.......

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Sean St Ledger - English
    Paul Green English
    I could go on

:DPedantic Pat

Pedantic? No. Unable to understand and appreciate the nuances of nationality? Yes. There is a lot more to being Irish than your place of birth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,905 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Maybe he thinks it'll be 6-0 to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There is a lot more to being Irish than your place of birth.

nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Dubliner28 wrote: »
    Sean St Ledger - English
    Paul Green English
    I could go on

:D Pedantic Pat

Not this crap again.

• Advertisement

Back to the game..........

nonsense

:confused:

It really and truly isn't.
    Back to the game..........

If people want to start this crap of segmenting our squad into 'real Irish' and 'not real Irish' by virtue of their place of birth well...there's going to be a fight. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The English were quite happy to use Jamaican and Candian born players when needed not to mention Canadian born Tennis players, Samoan born Rugby players, South African and IRISH born cricketers, Somalli born athletes etc
    Anyway hoping the tempo of this will be slightly higher than we normally see at ROI friendlies due to the derby nature the media and fans will inject into it.

iDave wrote: »
    IRISH born cricketers.

Ignorance.

Where else are Irish cricketers supposed to play to the very best of their abilities? :confused:

We don't have a test team, so the natural progression for Irish players who are of a good enough standard is to play for the England & Wales team, it's amazing that we have even one player good enough for that given the blackened status of that sport in this country.

I'm heading to support the Irish team next week vs Pakistan in Clontarf, can't wait for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I assume there will be divided loyalties here for the Manyoo, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal fans etc?

gimmick wrote: »
    I assume there will be divided loyalties here for the Manyoo, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal fans etc?

Haha - this could be a great thread between now and the match. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

gimmick wrote: »

What's that saying about when you assume something?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Ignorance.

Some cheek given what you said about some of Irelands footballers. BTW my family history is similar to some of Irelands players and I'll be damned if anyone calls me anything other than Irish

iDave wrote: »
    Some cheek given what you said about some of Irelands footballers. BTW my family history is similar to some of Irelands players and I'll be damned if anyone calls me anything other than Irish

I haven't said anything about any of Ireland's footballers :confused:

You must be mixing me up with someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Don't worry Steven Gerard won't be playing, do worry Daniel Sturridge will be! He'll make mincemeat of the Irish central defence. On the other hand if its Carroll and Welbeck you should be fine

Actually it'll probably be a pretty dodgy mix of peripheral talents for this one. Maybe as a gesture of good will the game can be stopped when Ireland score. ;)

• Advertisement

IF mike, IF

Half the Irish Cricket team have not been born in Ireland either

The funny thing is the guys who maybe we have questioned about their ambitions to play for Ireland have mostly been guys who were born and bred here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I will watch this from behind the couch

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

They havent beaten us since 1985 would be nice to keep that record going
    Euro 88 ireland 1 england 0
    italia 90 ireland 1 england 1
    Euro 92 qualifiers ireland 1 england 1 wembley and ireland 1 england 1 lansdowne
    Friendly 1995 ireland 1 england 0
    Will be tough as they are clearly better than us but I wouldnt rule out a draw. Between 98 and 02 I was always hoping we would play them as I felt we would have beat them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does anyone know who are showing this?

mike65 wrote: »
    Does anyone know who are showing this?

Setanta anyway. I'm sure ITV will pick it up too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They havent beaten us since 1985 would be nice to keep that record going
    Euro 88 ireland 1 england 0
    italia 90 ireland 1 england 1
    Euro 92 qualifiers ireland 1 england 1 wembley and ireland 1 england 1 lansdowne
    Friendly 1995 ireland 1 england 0
    Will be tough as they are clearly better than us but I wouldnt rule out a draw. Between 98 and 02 I was always hoping we would play them as I felt we would have beat them.

you cant compare those teams to what we have playing now

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

you cant compare those teams to what we have playing now
    Im in no way comparing the teams of yesteryear with todays team. Just think its an interesting stat and would be nice to extend the run a bit. There is a chance of us getting a draw as the game will mean more to us ,but if you purely look at the teams they should beat us comfortably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Think Ireland will scrape a draw from this. Even though England have far superior talent, they aren't near as technical as the likes of Germany, Spain, Italy, teams which Ireland tend to struggle against. Hodgson I suspect will also be playing quite a number of young fellas, as he tends to do for friendlies.

Ireland are also solid away from home and will be difficult to break down for England. A boring 0-0 for me.

Do Ireland have any registas we can use?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Do Ireland have any registas we can use?

No, but then England have no top quality regista either. What England do have is a couple of excellent number 10's, we have quite a good one in Wes Hoolahan but Trap apparently doesn't trust him, which is typical of both his conservative nature and the general mistrust you find among some Irish players for small, technically gifted players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Irish men? its English men playing for Ireland. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Giovanni Trapattoni says he intends to use the Republic of Ireland’s friendly against England at Wembley as a stepping stone to a new style of playing. The evolution is likely to be a stop-start affair, though, with Anthony Pilkington, who the Italian suggests is vital to the switch, set to miss the Faroe Islands qualifier while on his honeymoon.
    Speaking yesterday in Carrick on Shannon, where his squad announcement was held to help celebrate the 400th anniversary of the town’s charter, the Italian said that his intention is to play 4-5-1 against England with Pilkington out on one wing and, it seems, Wes Hoolahan in the centre.
    Quite what happens after that is unclear, however. The 74-year-old said Pilkington, who is also carrying a slight knee injury, “could be important against the Faroe Islands”, and indicated that he will talk with the player about his plans when the squad meet up in London on Sunday week. “He doesn’t know what will happen in the future but he will have many opportunities to go on honeymoon,” he observed.
    Trapattoni acknowledged, however, that there is the potential for Pilkington to encounter “problems with his wife” and didn’t seem optimistic regarding the prospect of the 24-year-old interrupting his honeymoon in order to travel to Dublin for the World Cup qualifier on June 7th.

The manager’s positive reference to Hoolahan came when he was asked directly if he would use the Dubliner in the new system but he made it clear that the team must have wide players like Pilkington, who are capable of posing a threat to the opposition’s goal, if just one striker is to start.
    The likes of Aiden McGeady or Damien Duff simply didn’t score enough goals to make the switch a viable one in his opinion, and he said nothing to suggest that he feels Robbie Brady has come on enough to offer the option despite having made a generally positive start to his international career.

Mistrustful of Hoolahan
    The Italian, in any case, continues to give the impression that he is slightly mistrustful of Hoolahan who has yet to start a game for Ireland despite some impressive displays for Norwich; including against West Brom on Sunday when he contributed a great deal to the team’s success in front of goal.
    Shane Long, one suspects, would still be a preferred option but the striker will, along with James McCarthy, miss the Faroes game through suspension and Trapattoni says that he will let the pair head off for the summer rather than keep them around in order to drag them off to New York for the Spain game.
    If past experience is anything to go by then quite who will be around at that stage is open to question. Trapattoni didn’t sound entirely sure that everyone else would be around for all of the games and Robbie Keane may miss Wembley due to commitments with LA Galaxy, but the Italian insisted that the feedback he has received has generally been positive.
    Kevin Doyle, who will have surgery to address an Achilles problem, and Ciarán Clark, who has a foot problem will not travel but Glenn Whelan will be there for the qualifier at least, despite recent injury problems.

Trap doing a great job of starting a public dispute with Pilkington over his honeymoon plans, all because of a game against the mighty Faroes. Another gobshíte move from the man management genius.

I just want him gone. Be it Shels or Napoli.

I don't care anymore. He is setting us back years.

We're no world beaters but much better then this.

• Advertisement

take him at Shels

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

I'm going over to watch this and support the boys in green.

Just hoping it lasts longer the last Ireland v England match!

I was still in Primary School last time we played them.

Trouble all round before the game.

There was trouble on the Cork-Dublin train when we got on with few English boys looking to have fight with anyone.

Was only beginning of mental day.

England squad to play Republic of Ireland and Brazil:

Goalkeepers: Ben Foster, Joe Hart, Alex McCarthy; Defenders Leighton Baines, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Phil Jones, Joleon Lescott, Kyle Walker; Midfielders: Michael Carrick, Tom Cleverley, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Theo Walcott; Forwards: Andy Carroll, Jermain Defoe, Wayne Rooney, Daniel Sturridge, Danny Welbeck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I'm getting off my bar-stool and going to Wembley to watch this.

Ole, Ole, Ole....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

After the last meeting, lets hope they keep it to the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Just do what we do best and frustrate the ****e out of the Wembley crowd. If we can get the crowd on their backs throughout the game we're laughing

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

I don't care anymore. He is setting us back years.

What are you talking about?! :confused:

Before he came in, we were awful. Absolute dog****e.

Now we're average to decent & generally get results against opposition we should get a result against & occassionally against teams we have no right to get a result against.

How is he "setting us back years"?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

What will save us is its a friendly, if we had to play them in a competitive game I'd fear we'd be done for 3 or 4 goals.

Either way as its a friendly I'm not to pushed as long as we beat the mighty Faroes by a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Honestly i can see Andy Carroll being a real danger to Ireland.

Mr Alan wrote: »

He's not setting us back years at all, but the anti Trapp brigade resorted to full on retarded hyperbole long ago and there's no way out now.

Roy doesn't seem to think this game is a friendly and neither should we:
    RH wrote:
    "These games are more preparation games than friendly games, they are important for us to prepare.

"I'm more interested in these matches to give players, who I think will be important for the qualifiers in September and October, chance to play. I don't want to have a situation where I'm using 18 players and players playing for just 10 or 15 minute cameos."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

I know the current England team are fairly sh1te, but seeing as we are not great ourselves at the minute I wouldn't write them off like that.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    What are you talking about?! :confused:

Before he came in, we were awful. Absolute dog****e.

Now we're average to decent & generally get results against opposition we should get a result against & occassionally against teams we have no right to get a result against.

Did you not see us in Euros? Did you not see Spain pass ball around 896 times in 90 minutes in what was a stroll in the park? Did you not see us beat Kazathstan with 2 goals in last few minutes? Did you miss the 1-6 game against Germany? Did you see us live in fear in our own home against Austria? Have you seen us been played off the park against Armenia? Yes Armenia?

Have you been living in cuckoo land for Trap reign?

Awaits the old Stan times chestnut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

He's not setting us back years at all, but the anti Trapp brigade resorted to full on retarded hyperbole long ago and there's no way out now.

The same full on retarded the Pro-Trap brigade seem to have that proclaims him as Jesus turning water into wine, despite the wine being the Tesco kind that, admittedly, get's you drunk but tastes and looks like absolute ****e.

• Advertisement
Advertisement