Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Rep. of Ireland - May 29th 2013 - 8PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The moonlight reflecting off Sammon's head distracted the free taker there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

efb wrote: »
    Who got MOTM?

Coleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Delighted for Coleman!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Famous draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Delighted for Long and Coleman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

"You'll never beat the Irish!" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Awful stuff.

Nothing learned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Coleman.

gary.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

efb wrote: »
    Who got MOTM?

Setanta gave it to James McCarthy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Does this mean we win 2-1 on aggregate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Well played lads.....special mentions for Coleman, McCarthy and Forde!

And the header from Long was one of the best I've ever seen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

A derby match written all over that

Long, Coleman, Forde & McCarthy can be very proud of their performances. The rest need to improve & Trap needs to bring Stokes into the setup, he has something to offer that team.

Awful stuff.

Nothing learned.
    Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Famous draw.

I think the truth is somewhere in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Rooney was shocking today, but he's been poor all season. If someone offers Utd £25 million for him they should take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I think this match shows more how clueless and hopeless England are. It's not hard to get a result at wembly these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hodgson v Trap is Stoke v Sunderland.

1-1 was therefore the most likely result.

The Brazil game shall be much better I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Rooney was shocking today, but he's been poor all season. If someone offers Utd £25 million for him they should take it.

Arsene, put your hands back in your pockets :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Great defensively for Ireland but nothing else going really. They gave the ball away easily at least half the times they tried to break. A full strength England team would have finished the game after 60 minutes only for some good last ditch defending, and not much more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Setanta's hashtag has been #morethanafriendly. It should have been #lessthanafriendly. Really was awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Its a great result for us but im not that happy tbh. We had a great first half, looked very dangerous but of course we get negative in the 2nd half. I reckon Trap was happy with a 1-1. You hear the commentators saying England were better in the 2nd half but that is kinda untrue, Ireland were just that bad. I rather go all out for the win than playing negative crap but that's just me.

But its a result and performance that should ring bells for English FA. Anytime iv seen them they have been awful, cant play for **** either. Hodgson is going to destroy this team tbh. They dont have the players but that shouldnt excuse how poorly they play, just no imagination. McCarthy would walk into their midfield and dominate it.

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Hodgson v Trap is Stoke v Sunderland.

1-1 was therefore the most likely result.

The Brazil game shall be much better I'd say.

England are better setup to look good for the likes of Brazil.

Hodgson needs to develop tactics for defensively minded teams aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Happy with the result, performance okay too.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Another solid game from Forde, been impressed with him since he's gotten the no.1 jersey.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Did Cole just say England deserved the win?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

776189663.png?1369859643

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Twould take a tipp man to put it in the back of an english net ;) happy with the result :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

first half was good specially for Ireland but second half was ok,
    think draw was fair result,
    saw Cole comment that England should have won, don't think i agree with that, England played just OK , Ireland be happier with result
    forde was super, great saves , England had ball more and put Ireland in more pressure, still don't like whealan playing, he scares me at times with his passes .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭edgecutter

Thought we did well tonight. Long, McCarthy and Coleman were brilliant

However, the subs tonight were poor from Trap. Cox and Sammon really hindered the team when they came on. We need to get our better players on like Gibson and hoolahan to help change the game. We also need to bleed players in. St. Ledger is a liability. I know Clark isn't great either, but he should be ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Didn't get to watch the match. Did we deserve to win or were we lucky to get a draw or what?

edit i mean should we have won

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,656 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Hodgson pleased with the 2nd half performance

Bloody hell what world is he living in

Long, McCarthy & Coleman.

3 stalwarts of the Trapattoni era.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Didn't get to watch the match. Did we deserve to win or were we lucky to get a draw or what?

edit i mean should we have won

One team were solid and stuck to their (defensive) gameplan, the other dominated possession without being overly threatening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

there is hope for us all yet with Cox & Sammon still getting a game

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Long, McCarthy & Coleman.

3 stalwarts of the Trapattoni era.

I wouldn't grace trap with them,they merited themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm probably in the minority but I was pretty disappointed with the performance. Not great in possession, hardly any chances created except for Long's excellent goal. The defense played well, apart from the missed clearance for Lampard's goal, thought Coleman was very good. But other than that it was a typical Irish-under-Trap performance, nothing to get excited for really. England were their usual average self in friendlies but it still took a few good saves from Forde to keep us in it at the end.

I know we don't have the players to really play well against good teams but I'd still like to see some attempt to play good football, and create more chances.

Still disappointed that the likes of Sammon and Cox are integral squad members. Really wish we had some players of better ability available and playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭legendary.xix

Happy enough with the result in the end. Reflects well on players coming through from the League of Ireland. Former League of Ireland player supplying the assist and former League of Ireland player scoring the goal. Another former League of Ireland goalkeeper had a good night and is making the number 1 position his own.

Hopefully tonight's game will see Ireland play Them From Across the Water on a more regular basis every couple of years or so.

Wea bringa on a playeras froma deaa championship.

No, you did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I thought we gave a decent account of ourselves tonight. We scored a fecking brilliant goal, which is more than they can say.

I'll echo the praise for Coleman, Long, McCarthy and Forde, all we exceptional. McGeady was typically ineffective, infuriating at times, and I honestly think what slim hope there was for him is now lost. The way our subs made us properly struggle on the back foot I think we all saw that we can't realistically expect the likes of Cox (who I'll admit works his socks off for us) and Sammon to have an impact on the international stage. They just are not good enough, to have players in attacking positions who offer absolutely no goal threat is disheartening. Sean St.Ledger had a good game apart from costing the team a goal with an embarrassing clearance attempt, which unfortunately is my main issue with him, often prone to an error.

Still, lots of positives, most importantly the trio of Coleman, Long and McCarthy who should have the team built around them. They are young and enthusiastic, I wish we could have Seamus and left and right back, two McCarthys in the middle and two Longs up top. Then we'd be laughing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

To echo what a few have said already Coleman,Long and forde between the sticks were all very impressive. Keane should hang up his boots as hes was about as useful as a chocolate fire guard. Walters kept giving the ball away and then the usual mind boggling subs from Trap bringing on Hendric sammon and Cox when we have the likes of hoolahan on the bench who is playing fantastic football for Norwich all season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Forde has been superb in goal since he has came in he looks very assured in goal for somebody so inexperienced at this level.

And can anybody explain to me how on earth Glenn Whelan is still starting for us, he was at fault for there goal and just looks way out of his depth in there its time to give his place to Meyler or even Andrews.

• Advertisement

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Forde has been superb in goal since he has came in he looks very assured in goal for somebody so inexperienced at this level.

And can anybody explain to me how on earth Glenn Whelan is still starting for us, he was at fault for there goal and just looks way out of his depth in there its time to give his place to Meyler or even Andrews.

Im still blaming St Ledger, his lack of game time showed.

I do agree that central midfield needs a revamp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fahey Mc Carthy Midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

It's a fcuking disgrace that Darron Gibson has been effectively snubbed by Trap. We need every decent player we have to be be playing in the first team.

Still didn't bring on Hoolohan tonight, :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

As a result, I'm very happy.
    Beyond happy for the performances of Forde, Coleman, McCarthy and maybe Long.

I can only think it's a good thing that the first thought of the defense, for most of the game, was to try and play it out rather than just boot it away. It allowed Ireland to keep the ball for good passing pieces of play while under pressure.

Overall, I think it's a good sign of improving our style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

we're playing the ball out of defence more because McCarthy's there.

It's not rocket science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Another solid game from Forde, been impressed with him since he's gotten the no.1 jersey.

I think Forde might have got a bit of notice from possible interested clubs with his displays with Ireland. I think he can play at a higher level than Millwall despite the fact that he's 33. He appears to be a keeper on top of his game and capable of making a step up.

May be a stupid question but I'm honestly not up to date with the current squad, but were Gibson and Hoolahan in the squad tonight? What's the story with Stokes, is he out of the picture under Trap?

Lennonist wrote: »
    I think Forde might have got a bit of notice from possible interested clubs with his displays with Ireland. I think he can play at a higher level than Millwall despite the fact that he's 33. He appears to be a keeper on top of his game and capable of making a step up.

He's exactly the type of solid goalie that would suit a lower premier league side I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

May be a stupid question but I'm honestly not up to date with the current squad, but were Gibson and Hoolahan in the squad tonight? What's the story with Stokes, is he out of the picture under Trap?

Hoolahan was on the bench. Trap said he didn't bring him on because he wanted to maintain the physicality we were playing with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

He's exactly the type of solid goalie that would suit a lower premier league side I think.

No better than any lower Prem team's keeper and a lot older than most too. Championship is his level and theres nothing wrong with that as weve no other top keeper playing elsewhere now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement