Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Rep. of Ireland - May 29th 2013 - 8PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

No better than any lower Prem team's keeper and a lot older than most too. Championship is his level and theres nothing wrong with that as weve no other top keeper playing elsewhere now.

I would agree with that. I don't think a decent keeper necessarily needs to play at the top top level. He's a good all rounder and probably playing for a lower club would keep all his skills honed.
    Dermo wrote: »
    Hoolahan was on the bench. Trap said he didn't bring him on because he wanted to maintain the physicality we were playing with.

That's a ****ing disgrace to be honest. I had to google Hendrick as I've never heard of him. Hoolahan should have been on instead of Whelan and Walters from the start, and definitely when any of the subs came off.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Delighted with the result.
    Very happy about Forde and Coleman's performance. Cautiously optimistic about the fact that McCarthy might be helping us to pass the ball a bit now.
    Very pissed off about Trap's subs, particularly the lack of Hoolahan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭skippy15

Great result, good overall performance in terms more positives than negatives

Think future team has to be
    Ford
    Coleman O Shea Clark Wilson
    Gibson McCarthy
    Mcgeady McClean
    Hoolahan
    Long

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

May be a stupid question but I'm honestly not up to date with the current squad, but were Gibson and Hoolahan in the squad tonight? What's the story with Stokes, is he out of the picture under Trap?

Gibson had a falling out with Trap after he didn't play in Euro 2012. Trap played fcukin Paul Green ahead of Gibson v Spain FFS.

Trap must hold the record for an Irish manager to piss off so many players* (which is quite an achievement when you consider the records of Big Jack & Mick McCarthy)... :D

*Off the top of my head; Stephen Ireland, Kevin Foley, Kevin Doyle, Darron Gibson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

my god the endless whinging about Hoolahan in here is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

Just saw a stat.
    51% possession for Ireland.
    When was the last time we did that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Actually really enjoyed the first half. Second half couldn't keep my interest though. Great goal from Long, to be fair and I'd take the draw in the circumstances as at least it means I can go into work tomorrow.

Can't believe how much Ox has gone backwards in the last 12 months. No wonder he's not getting a sniff at Arsenal.

Thought Coleman was top class. Walcott looked dangerous for England as usual.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Can't believe how much Ox has gone backwards in the last 12 months. No wonder he's not getting a sniff at Arsenal.

one of the most enjoyable parts of the game was Oxlade-Chamberlain's face of disappointment every time the camera went to him after he shot/cross/fell over

Just saw a stat.
    51% possession for Ireland.
    When was the last time we did that?

Where did you see that stat? My football app shows 36%.

• Advertisement

Where did you see that stat? My football app shows 36%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22677284

Don't know where they get there stats from though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I would say that there's a very strong chance that both Coleman & McCarthy may be going to United this summer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Ah that brought me back to the good old days of Italia 90 when we hammered England one all.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22677284

Don't know where they get there stats from though

Doesn't really matter either way, we didn't do much with the possession. Neither did England to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I would say that there's a very strong chance that both Coleman & McCarthy may be going to United this summer.

I hope they don't ,neither of them would be starters and it would only have a negative affect on there development.Hopefully McCarthy gets a move to a EPL team in the summer and maybe move on to one of the top few teams in a year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Decent performance,don't think England were particularly arsed though.

Coleman and Forde played well,also good to see Hendrick given another run out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Good performance. Coleman and McCarthy were great. Long was good but I wish he'd stay on his feet and stop backing into players looking for fouls all the time. He does it four or five times in every game I've seen him in and it rarely leads to a decision for him. Infuriating behavior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In all fairness to Whelan he put some hard challenges in tonight,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Decent performance .Happy with Forde,Coleman,McCarthy and Long.Those last 3 are the future of our squad but we need a few more younger lads to make the breakthrough.For the next campaign we could need to find 2 centre backs if o'shea and Dunne call it a day and none of the CB's currently in the squad are good enough imo.With Coleman and Wilson we are covered at fullback.We badly need to find a partner in midfield for McCarthy,hopefully Meyler and Brady can do well for Hull and force their way into the team,they seem the most likely at the moment to get midfield spots along with Pilkington.I dislike Stokes but I think he needs to be giving another chance.He is better than Sammon and Cox.At this stage I don't Wes is ever going to get a chance to get a place on the team.
    After that we need a few of the talented lads in the underage set ups to push on this year with their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

seriously what was that comment supposed to be about?
    That's what the commentator said about a section of the Irish crowd on itv, maybe you heard it too, if you did I don't know why he said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Decent performance,don't think England were particularly arsed though.

Coleman and Forde played well,also good to see Hendrick given another run out.

Would of liked Forde to get MOTM as I don't think he's put a foot wrong in the couple of games I've seen him play but you could argue that Englands goal came from his clearance, saying that he shouldn't been put under that pressure because we had good possession in midfield before going back to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Forde's kicking was really poor on a number of occasions - is that normal for him? Which is a worry considering we're relying a bit on the keeper hoofing it up the field. Other than that he did well.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭hatz7

A solid Irish performance against a good England team. The FAI should sign him up for another four more years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

However bad Doyle was this season he is still surely a better option upfront than Cox or Conor "how is he a professional footballer" Sammon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Delighted with that performance. A very hard fought result against a team which, on paper, has far more talent than we do. I feared we would get a bad beating but I'll happily take a draw, though that was a real cheap goal we gave away.

Also very pleased there was no unpleasantness during the ceremonies.

All in all, I think it's a great outcome. Cheers Trap and the lads.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Headshot wrote: »
    Hodgson pleased with the 2nd half performance

Bloody hell what world is he living in

If anything interesting can be taken from the game, it is England's difficulty to come back from 0-1 down.

Has it happened many times since Hodgson took over - since the Euros? From the top of my head they've always been 1-0 up. It panned out like many thought it would..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Lads, whats the story with Keith Andrews? Is he injured?

Was our best player at the Euros and hasnt seemed to feature since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Very decent effort for 80 minutes. Then we could not string 2 passes together for final 10. Deserved draw but could very easily have lost had England been more clinical.

Coleman was MOTM for me.

Thankfully no trouble either. Smooth!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I only seen the last 20 mins and the highlights, Forde made 2 good saves in that time and claimed 2 crosses, he was fairly solid from what I seen.

Wasnt expecting the draw when I seen we went 1-0 up so early, thought England would come back and be leading by HT, good effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Forde was outstanding.

Not world class but plenty of lower PL clubs could do worse then sign him.

2 big away games against Sweden and England and he delivered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't think Forde is capable of the unbelievable great saves that Given made routinely at times. But I don't think he'll let much that's soft in. If I feel confident at every setpiece and corner because I know he's capable of coming out and taking a difficult ball I can only imagine the defenders feel the same way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I don't think Forde is capable of the unbelievable great saves that Given made routinely at times. But I don't think he'll let much that's soft in. If I feel confident at every setpiece and corner because I know he's capable of coming out and taking a difficult ball I can only imagine the defenders feel the same way.

That was one of Givens flaws, he was nearly always stuck to his line, now it was down to his size more then anything, Forde must be 2/3 inches taller then Given and a more commanding presence so its good that we have a guy that isnt glued to his line for set pieces and crosses and hes shown good hands and confidence while coming for balls laucnhed in, unlike Foster at one stage last night, dropped a ball on to Walters back from a little pressure from Long.

Gibson had a falling out with Trap after he didn't play in Euro 2012. Trap played fcukin Paul Green ahead of Gibson v Spain FFS

Darren Gibson demanded that he be guaranteed a starting spot or he'd walk on his country. He can go **** himself tbh, mercenaries like that are no loss.

deisedude wrote: »
    However bad Doyle was this season he is still surely a better option upfront than Cox or Conor "how is he a professional footballer" Sammon :rolleyes:

Doyle: 42 games, 9 goals
    Cox: 39 games, 5 goals
    Sammon: 45 games, 8 goals

This season's league form. Given Sammon's superior physicality and Cox's increased versatility I can understand why Doyle is being left out tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,287 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Darren Gibson demanded that he be guaranteed a starting spot or he'd walk on his country. He can go **** himself tbh, mercenaries like that are no loss.

You have a source for that, sounds like a strange thing to demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Content with the result. I think England showed that despite being a better team than us that they are by no means streets ahead and under Hodgson they are destined for no more than mediocrity. They need to consider making a change at the helm in order to get the best out of their more talented players. Much like our situation. Long's goal was outstanding. I have watched it about 10 times and that leap is bionic man stuff. Some cross from Coleman too who deserved his motm award.

Shame Wes didn't get a run out as I feel there was an opportunity to exploit between the lines considering how rigid England were. Seeing Hendrick and Sammon get a run out ahead of him must be hard to accept given the couple of seasons he has had, but Trap has made his mind up and as long as he in is his role Hoolahan will have to be happy with the bench.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

As far as I know, Gibson had enough when he wasnt given any game time against Italy in our final group game at the Euros. Instead of trying out some relatively new players in a nothing game for us Trappattoni instead chose to piss off a large minority in the squad by sticking to the same tactics & players he had done so previously. When Gibson saw Green coming on in that match ahead of him, that was enough for him.

I think myself Gibson can be a bit of a pratt but so was Roy Keane at times & we need to replace Whelan in the centre. Trappattoni should at the very least be able to manage these type of players considering the vastly overinflated wage he is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't think Forde is capable of the unbelievable great saves that Given made routinely at times.

To be honest, I think the fact that Given had to make so many great saves throughout his club and International career was partly down to the flaws he had in his game (inability to get off of his line or command his box).

The best goalkeepers don't need to make that many saves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

The major plus point for me was the way we tried to play a few passes out from the back rather than continually looking for the long ball. Coleman and Forde were our best performers, with McGeedy flattering to deceive as usual. All in all, a good shift from the team and a decent result to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Well as friendlies go it was definately more entertaining than the usual fare. Cant see us playing to that tempo against Georgia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

leonidas83 wrote: »
    As far as I know, Gibson had enough when he wasnt given any game time against Italy in our final group game at the Euros. Instead of trying out some relatively new players in a nothing game for us Trappattoni instead chose to piss off a large minority in the squad by sticking to the same tactics & players he had done so previously. When Gibson saw Green coming on in that match ahead of him, that was enough for him.

I think myself Gibson can be a bit of a pratt but so was Roy Keane at times & we need to replace Whelan in the centre. Trappattoni should at the very least be able to manage these type of players considering the vastly overinflated wage he is on.

I agree with your point but the bit in bold made me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

bohsfan wrote: »
    The major plus point for me was the way we tried to play a few passes out from the back rather than continually looking for the long ball. Coleman and Forde were our best performers, with McGeedy flattering to deceive as usual. All in all, a good shift from the team and a decent result to boot

McCarthy was fantastic, breaking the play up, helping out the back 4, good distribution of the ball. Think he may have been knackered for the last 10-15 mins tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Great performance, but it was exactly what i expected. Ireland would have taken this game very seriously and prepared like all the other aways.

amazing, but not surprising that no matter how well we play, people on here will whinge about something. yesterday we were hearing how we were going to be hammered, today when these people were proved wrong, they have to find something else to moan about.

overall though, very satisfactory day for Ireland fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very soft goal to concede but other than that very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

When exactly did Gibson actually say this? Cause since his exile he has said next to nothing regarding the matter.

And also, how can he be classed as a mercenary? What is he gaining from not playing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Great performance, but it was exactly what i expected. Ireland would have taken this game very seriously and prepared like all the other aways.

amazing, but not surprising that no matter how well we play, people on here will whinge about something. yesterday we were hearing how we were going to be hammered, today when these people were proved wrong, they have to find something else to moan about.

overall though, very satisfactory day for Ireland fans.

The people who were saying that Ireland would be hammered haven't a clue. Irish players will always up their game v England. There is professional and personal pride at stake for them, with a lot of them coming up against colleagues and opponents from the the league that most of them operate in or would hope to get a move to. Also this England team under Hodgson are fairly ordinary.

What's frustrating for football fans in Ireland is that we can see that the raw materials are there for an Irish team that are capable of qualifying for the next World Cup, but the rigidity of the system that the manager imposes limits what they can achieve. They are set up to grind out hard fought draws against on paper superior opposition. They are good enough to qualify for the next big tournament and to play well in that tournament if a bit of imagination was applied, and the system was developed a bit. Wont happen 'til Trap goes unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Twas a good performance alright
    Coleman, McCarthy and Long are the future alright. Id add Wilson to that list as well. Hopefully Brady Myler and Hendrick can make the step up.

Seeing as our team was mid table and championship players and a clubless St Ledger and we held top premiership players who expected to hammer us we did well and can be proud of the display

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Nothing better in sport then getting a result against the arrogant English.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

wasnt surprised with the result last night. England are overrated as we are exposed to the hype of the PL. They cant keep the ball and hurt us like the real top teams. Should have put money on the 1 1 thats four 1 1 draws in a row against them and nice to remain unbeaten since 1985 against them. Trappatoni is still a dinosaur though and the sooner the better he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Beefy78 wrote: »
    To be honest, I think the fact that Given had to make so many great saves throughout his club and International career was partly down to the flaws he had in his game (inability to get off of his line or command his box).

The best goalkeepers don't need to make that many saves.

So Given was only good because he was crap?

I think you are overegging that point.
    TaosHum wrote: »
    When exactly did Gibson actually say this? Cause since his exile he has said next to nothing regarding the matter.

And also, how can he be classed as a mercenary? What is he gaining from not playing?

He wasn't content to be in the squad, he didn't start so he left the squad. What other way is there to put it? (even if the term mercenary might be a bit harsh).

If he thinks he is above being in the squad than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

noodler wrote: »

He was content to be in the squad, he didn't start so he left the squad. What other way is there to put it? (even if the term mercenary might be a bit harsh).

If he thinks he is above being in the squad than later.

But my point is Gibson hasn't said anything as to why he is not playing, its all speculation. Now, it's all but certain he's not turning up because of issue's with the management and team selection and if people want to knock him for not commitiing to his country then thats fair enough.

But Gibson has been quite professional since he went on exile. Even with all the Trap bashing in the papers, Gibson hasn't jumped on the bandwagon or stuck the knife in buy coming out and slating them. He has said nothing and he has every right not to play for his country if he so pleases.

Trap has moved on, so should everyone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement