Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Rep. of Ireland - May 29th 2013 - 8PM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

NinjaK wrote: »
    Nothing better in sport then getting a result against the arrogant English.

I found the coverage on tv and the general reaction and behaviour of the fans to be quite humble and modest actually. Equally when I go see a game in England and English fans realise I am Irish they are in no way arrogant towards me, quite the contrary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Great performance for long periods of the game. Got very nervous in the last 10-15 minutes and kept losing possession.

Forde was fantastic. Consistency is key and has justified him being first choice 'keeper.

Coleman and McCarthy were immense. The former was my MOTM. Defended very well bar one or two moments when he tried to over complicate the simplest of things. His cross in for Long was one of the best crosses I've seen in quite a while. Beautifully executed and well taken by Long.

Defending was resolute throughout but we had no outlet and the only option was to hoof balls forward and gave England possession once again.

It's a pity that we never gave that much effort in our group games in the Euro's last year.

A lot of positives can be taken from that game but the goal we conceded was one I think we could have easily avoided.

I thought it was going to be a mauling but I'm happy to be proven wrong and hopefully they can push on from this result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wasnt surprised with the result last night. England are overrated as we are exposed to the hype of the PL. They cant keep the ball and hurt us like the real top teams. .

to be honest, the gap between Spain & Germany and then England is just huge and i mean huge.

the likes of England, France and even Italy are well within Irelands reach in terms of getting results against them on one off games, but they are below the top level IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TaosHum wrote: »
    But my point is Gibson hasn't said anything as to why he is not playing, its all speculation. Now, it's all but certain he's not turning up because of issue's with the management and team selection and if people want to knock him for not commitiing to his country then thats fair enough.

But Gibson has been quite professional since he went on exile. Even with all the Trap bashing in the papers, Gibson hasn't jumped on the bandwagon or stuck the knife in buy coming out and slating them. He has said nothing and he has every right not to play for his country if he so pleases.

Trap has moved on, so should everyone else.

He can't stick the knive in, what will he say? "I should be starting every game - don't call me up unless you are willing to do that".

How would that play in public? He got picked in squads alot by Trap when he was hardly playing at all for Man U, then he gets a move to Everton (admittedly improves) and then withdraws from squads because he feels he is not playing enough.

I thought the only reason it was brought up here was because a poster used it as a tool to knock Trap. I think Gibson is probably a better bet with McCarthy in the middle (although as limited as Whelan is, I worry he still has more bite than Gibson), but every player in the squad must feel they are good enough to start yet they can't go withdrawing themselves from selection because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

The most frustrating thing when watching Ireland play is when the goalkeeper has the ball its all to easy to know that the ball is going to be hoofed up the pitch, it makes no sense when you have the ball in possession to just give it back to the other team.

I hate the argument that we dont have the players to play passing football that is bullsh*t we might not have the players that have higher qualities but jesus we can still pass the ball and all this long ball rubbish is ruining our national team. We will never learn to pass a quality pass if all we know is the long ball game.

Ireland played well last night but in fairness its the usual story we could of got beat 2 - 1/ 3 - 1. Its sickening watching that brand of football.

S28382 wrote: »
    Its sickening watching that brand of football.

i honestly have no idea where this football snobbery comes from in Ireland, i really dont.

watch the standard of football that england play (and have played for years), its not much better than ours. PL fans are quite happy for Vidic, Ferdinand, Carragher and co to pump long ball after long ball into the opposition half, but when David Forde does it, its s*it football.

the next time United play for example, watch how many times De gea (an absolutely gifted passer of the ball) kicks the ball 40 yards plus. it will surprise you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

i honestly have no idea where this football snobbery comes from in Ireland, i really dont.

watch the standard of football that england play (and have played for years), its not much better than ours. PL fans are quite happy for Vidic, Ferdinand, Carragher and co to pump long ball after long ball into the opposition half, but when David Forde does it, its s*it football.

the next time United play for example, watch how many times De gea (an absolutely gifted passer of the ball) kicks the ball 40 yards plus. it will surprise you.

The way England play is sh1te as well. Gary Lineker described their style as "dark ages" stuff last night. We don't have to copy them to the letter though, with another coach we could apply a bit of imagination maybe and mix it up a bit. Try to keep the ball as much as possible would be a start. Just because the English operate like Neanderthals doesn't mean we have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

noodler wrote: »
    He can't stick the knive in, what will he say? "I should be starting every game - don't call me up unless you are willing to do that".

If Gibson came out saying that Trap was outdated, clueless, losing the dressing room, player unhappiness, not wanting to play for him etc, etc, then it would give those that want Trap out more fuel. If Gibson has no intentions of playing for Trap again (which seems the case) then he could have easily came out and aired his dissatisfaction.

To me that is sticking the knife in because it add's more pressure to Trap and gives people more reason's to dislike him. As I said, he could easily do it if he wanted, but he hasn't, he has been professional in all of this.
    How would that play in public? He got picked in squads alot by Trap when he was hardly playing at all for Man U, then he gets a move to Everton (admittedly improves) and then withdraws from squads because he feels he is not playing enough.

Trap to be fair, publicly requested Gibson to move from United and get first team action. Gibson then fulfills that obligation, plays well and its still not enough.

Trap at the end of the day is free to pick who he likes and who he thinks can do a job for him. But Trap hasn't exactly helped himself in this situation. Many people wouldn't blame Gibson for having a pop in the media, considering Trap made public that he wanted him to move from United. That conversation shouldn't have been made public.
    I thought the only reason it was brought up here was because a poster used it as a tool to knock Trap. I think Gibson is probably a better bet with McCarthy in the middle (although as limited as Whelan is, I worry he still has more bite than Gibson), but every player in the squad must feel they are good enough to start yet they can't go withdrawing themselves from selection because of it.

I agree, it should be an honour for players to represent their country. But if a player doesn't want to then its his loss and his choice.

Lennonist wrote: »
    Try to keep the ball as much as possible would be a start. Just because the English operate like Neanderthals doesn't mean we have to.

football is a results business first and foremost. Trappas "style" (no different from Jack Charlton which was adored across the length and breath of the country) has got us to one tournament and came within a whisker of getting us to a second. he is unbeaten away from home in competitive games since he took over AND the majority of his defeats have come against the top 7 or 8 teams in the world (Spain, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Brazil, Argentina, Russia) for example.

if people have a gripe with Trap, it should be about things like playing Walters wide right and still persisting with Glen Whelan when he should be doing everything possible to try reconvince Gibson to come back in.

our style of play is getting us results and first and foremost, that should be the aim. Arsenal play lovely football, but appear to have no belly for battle and when they come up against a bit of steel they cannot hack it. United on the other hand, while sometimes playing great football, largely base it on hard work, team ethic and just sheer power and this approach is much more successful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

if people have a gripe with Trap, it should be about things like playing Walters wide right and still persisting with Glen Whelan when he should be doing everything possible to try reconvince Gibson to come back in.

Absolutely not. I understand where Gibson is coming from and it's not hard to see why he'd be frustrated but no player should have to be talked into coming back into the side. He's obviously not happy with the way Trap does things so even in the case of Trap doing his job and communicating with a player, I can see the best case scenario as Gibson playing half heartedly in a set up he does not 100 percent believe in. Also, the other thing is that I don't think Trap would trust a McCarthy-Gibson combo in centre mid as he doesn't seem to class either as defensively capable no matter how much evidence their play at club level points to the contrary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

population wrote: »
    I found the coverage on tv and the general reaction and behaviour of the fans to be quite humble and modest actually. Equally when I go see a game in England and English fans realise I am Irish they are in no way arrogant towards me, quite the contrary.

Same here, where I am in the North East there is actually not a huge interest in the National team. They certainly don't believe the hype that comes from the media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

View's very polarised where I am. Most are realistic and honest tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Stoner wrote: »
    That's what the commentator said about a section of the Irish crowd on itv, maybe you heard it too, if you did I don't know why he said it.

Heard that too, strange thing to say.

football is a results business first and foremost. Trappas "style" (no different from Jack Charlton which was adored across the length and breath of the country) has got us to one tournament and came within a whisker of getting us to a second. he is unbeaten away from home in competitive games since he took over AND the majority of his defeats have come against the top 7 or 8 teams in the world (Spain, Germany, Italy, Croatia, Brazil, Argentina, Russia) for example.

our style of play is getting us results and first and foremost, that should be the aim. Arsenal play lovely football, but appear to have no belly for battle and when they come up against a bit of steel they cannot hack it. United on the other hand, while sometimes playing great football, largely base it on hard work, team ethic and just sheer power and this approach is much more successful.

That's an excuse and it is also patently incorrect in this instance. We are not making the most of the talent at our disposal. Our results would be better if we mixed it up a bit, developed our style and were more imaginative. We would definitely qualify - or at least finish 2nd to Germany - out of the group that we are currently in if we did that.

Like you say football is a results business first and foremost, if we made more of what we have our results would be better. Can't wait for Trap to go.

Jack Charlton's era ended 17 years ago btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Going to throw this one open to the floor - is Paul McShane a better football player than Sean St Ledger?

McShane is renowned for having horrific Premier League experiences, but is consistently playing at better clubs than SSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

NinjaK wrote: »
    Nothing better in sport then getting a result against the arrogant English.

Bet you've got the DVD pre-ordered already :rolleyes:

Lennonist wrote: »
    That's an excuse and it is also patently incorrect in this instance. We are not making the most of the talent at our disposal. Our results would be better if we mixed it up a bit, developed our style and were more imaginative. We would definitely qualify - or at least finish 2nd to Germany - out of the group that we are currently in if we did that.

There other side of that is those who'll tell you that if Ireland did try to play a more open imaginative and expansive game, they'd get caught out a lot more than they already do. It's one thing for Irish players to pass the ball but only so long as their passes find friendly feet. If they've got the skill, they should absolutely employ it but will can we say, what can we say, if a hypothetical proactive Irish team gets torn to shreds on multiple occasions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

TaosHum wrote: »
    If Gibson came out saying that Trap was outdated, clueless, losing the dressing room, player unhappiness, not wanting to play for him etc, etc, then it would give those that want Trap out more fuel. If Gibson has no intentions of playing for Trap again (which seems the case) then he could have easily came out and aired his dissatisfaction.

To me that is sticking the knife in because it add's more pressure to Trap and gives people more reason's to dislike him. As I said, he could easily do it if he wanted, but he hasn't, he has been professional in all of this.

Trap to be fair, publicly requested Gibson to move from United and get first team action. Gibson then fulfills that obligation, plays well and its still not enough.

Trap at the end of the day is free to pick who he likes and who he thinks can do a job for him. But Trap hasn't exactly helped himself in this situation. Many people wouldn't blame Gibson for having a pop in the media, considering Trap made public that he wanted him to move from United. That conversation shouldn't have been made public.

I agree, it should be an honour for players to represent their country. But if a player doesn't want to then its his loss and his choice.

I think Gibson had done enough to warrant a starting place as well.

I feel that he has been unprofessional for leaving the squad just because he isn't a guaranteed starter.

I am not going to praise him for not going down the route that Ian Harte did with regards publicly criticising the manager - that should be a bare minimum considering the faith Trap showed in him when he was practically a reserve player at UTD. I have to wonder if Trap's comments about him needing to leave Utd were key in encouraging a move - if so thats something else Gibson should be somewhat appreciative of considering his current form.

briany wrote: »
    There other side of that is those who'll tell you that if Ireland did try to play a more open imaginative and expansive game, they'd get caught out a lot more than they already do. It's one thing for Irish players to pass the ball but only so long as their passes find friendly feet. If they've got the skill, they should absolutely employ it but will can we say, what can we say, if a hypothetical proactive Irish team gets torn to shreds on multiple occasions?

Yes I'm aware there is another side to the argument, that is the side of the argument that Trap is on - and a handful of posters you see around here - but not among real pundits in the press or amongst the majority of supporters I would say. That side of the argument is the negative and wrong side of the argument in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

on the tube beside us last night group of english fans were disgusted withthe result,one lad was rippin up his betting slip sayin he expected to beat us 4-0 at least,3/4 of the train was irish and just burst out laughing at him,were asking him how did he think england were anything special,that they are deluded!was funny enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

flas wrote: »
    on the tube beside us last night group of english fans were disgusted withthe result,one lad was rippin up his betting slip sayin he expected to beat us 4-0 at least,3/4 of the train was irish and just burst out laughing at him,were asking him how did he think england were anything special,that they are deluded!was funny enough

Because a quality German team thrashed us. Quite a lot of England fans think they as good as, or close to that level. That's why they assumed they would win by a large margin. The reality is they are nowhere near that level.

Some would call it arrogance but it's not really. I think it's natural. People generally think they are better at something than they are.

Kirby wrote: »
    Because a quality German team thrashed us. Quite a lot of England fans think they as good as, or close to that level. That's why they assumed they would win by a large margin. The reality is they are nowhere near that level.

Some would call it arrogance but it's not really. I think it's natural. People generally think they are better at something than they are.

Gary Lineker : "So, Alan, can England win the world cup?"

Alan Shearer : "Absolutely."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I can appreciate what Trap is doing with Ireland we don't have the most talented/biggest squad to pick from and he steadied things when he came in .My main gripes with Trap are is constant falling out with players and poor communication between management and players.
    Pick the best players available and play them in their best positions.Some players seem to get brought along no matter how poorly they are playing and others can preform well for their clubs and don't get a look in.This has changed a little bit in the last 6 months but with a pick as small as ours we cant be alienating anyone.
    We need to vary our play more as well,we aren't going to be able to out pass and play expansive football against the best teams but we should be able and be allowed to string 10/12 passes together and along with hard work,team effort and power,we can be a match for a lot of teams.Cant be constantly pumping the ball from back to front all game and not expect other teams to get on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

flas wrote: »

Half this thread expected that sort of scoreline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Brazil v England game may be off due to safety fears (the Stadium not the fans)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/30/england-brazil-friendly-doubt

and this lot are hosting both the WC and Olympics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Why not have it in a different stadium?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Anyone listening to Tim Vickery over the past while wouldn't be surprised at that news..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Darren Gibson demanded that he be guaranteed a starting spot or he'd walk on his country. He can go **** himself tbh, mercenaries like that are no loss.

That is a lie.

He didn't feel wanted in the squad, he was being called up and flown out and left to sit there, watching Paul Green exchange shirts with Pirlo and Xavi. He isn't a fecking mercenary, he is a fine Premier League central midfielder who isn't content with making up the numbers and spoke out after not being given the chance his play merited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Surely a guy playing decent game time for top 6-8 club in PL deseves to get chance over guy playing for Derby/Leeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    That is a lie.

He didn't feel wanted in the squad, he was being called up and flown out and left to sit there, watching Paul Green exchange shirts with Pirlo and Xavi. He isn't a fecking mercenary, he is a fine Premier League central midfielder who isn't content with making up the numbers and spoke out after not being given the chance his play merited.
    Surely a guy playing decent game time for top 6-8 club in PL deseves to get chance over guy playing for Derby/Leeds.

Hi utd fans! :)

I'm an Irish fan first and foremost. Darren Gibson was consistently selected in Irish Squads. He received some game time from those selections (competitive and friendly) in which he was not great, accepting that his club form over that period was generally superior. He decided he was not getting enough game time, and as a result turned his back on his country making himself unavailable for selection in future squads. So **** him. He clearly doesn't value representing his country unless it is on his terms so I have no interest in seeing him picked again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

So got a link to where he demanded to be in the team?

Renn wrote: »
    So got a link to where he demanded to be in the team?

I'd say refusing to be selected due to unhappiness with role in squad is a demand, huh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kirby wrote: »

Twelve months ago people were convinced Ireland were going to beat Croatia comfortably, draw with Spain and Italy were there for the taking.

football fans are eternal optimists, you have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm an Irish fan first and foremost. Darren Gibson was consistently selected in Irish Squads. He received some game time from those selections (competitive and friendly) in which he was not great, accepting that his club form over that period was generally superior. He decided he was not getting enough game time, and as a result turned his back on his country making himself unavailable for selection in future squads. So **** him. He clearly doesn't value representing his country unless it is on his terms so I have no interest in seeing him picked again.
    I'd say refusing to be selected due to unhappiness with role in squad is a demand, huh?

Gibson has made himself unavailable for selection, that is not up for debate. It is fair enough to slate him for that decision.

But you are lying about the known facts to add effect. The fact that you're the bestest Irish fan ever doesn't change that you are full of shìt on this Gibson story. Just like most things to do with Trap. Well done superfan.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Gibson has made himself unavailable for selection, that is not up for debate. It is fair enough to slate him for that decision.

But you are lying about the known facts to add effect. The fact that you're the bestest Irish fan ever doesn't change that you are full of shìt on this Gibson story. Just like most things to do with Trap. Well done superfan.

Why has he made himself unavailable for selection? Do you think he is in the right to have done so? Would you welcome his return to the fold?

As for the rest, lol. Trapp will see out his contract just like I knew he would and we'll ALL know what we had when he's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Utter bollocks Lloyd.

SantryRed wrote: »
    Utter bollocks Lloyd.

Nope, it isn't. You tell me:

Why did he fail to make himself available for selection? Do you support his position? Would you welcome him back into the fold?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Why did he fail to make himself available for selection? Do you support his position? Would you welcome him back into the fold?

Because when he was at United he told him to move to get playing time. When he moved and was performing well for a top half Premier League team he deserved to start. You can understand his frustration i don't blame him for making himself unavailable. In a dead rubber game in the Euro's a perfect chance for Gibson he sits and watches Green play ahead of him. Trap should be building the team around the likes of Gibson.

Look at our best players recently who couldn't get a game and only got games because of injuries. McCarthy, Wilson and Coleman. Only for injuries they would be warming the bench more than likely.

As for the rest, lol. Trapp will see out his contract just like I knew he would and we'll ALL know what we had when he's gone.

Jaysis, only if Staunton has a mentally slow son with a burning desire to be Irish manager.

No one's going to look back too fondly on this last year of Irish football and no one's going to miss the low level contempt for the job and for Irish football that Trap seems to harbour. Similarly, no one's going to deny that he's done some good for the team but he has been unwilling to take the team forward in any meaningful way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

It is widely believed he was told he would need to be playing more to get a game for Ireland. He went to a top 7 team in the EPL, started week in week out, and still an unemployed Paul Green came on ahead of him at the Euros. I can completely see where he is coming from, and I don't blame him for not wanting to play under Trappatoni after such a stunt.

I would most definitely welcome him back into the fold. Him and McCarthy centre midfield is ten times better than Whelan and McCarthy

• Advertisement

Why has he made himself unavailable for selection? Do you think he is in the right to have done so? Would you welcome his return to the fold?

It looks like he made himself unavailable for selection because he wasn't happy with the game time he was getting. That is all we know. That is not at all the same as your claim that he demanded a starting spot or he'd walk.

It is clear that you embellished the story for effect. You of course know that and don't need it spelled out to you.

I don't think Gibson is right to have made himself unavailable. In the same situation I would not have done the same. And I can understand if Trap never takes him back. But I would definitely be happy to have Gibson back when the next manager is in the job, or in the extremely unlikely event that Trap manages to convince him to come back.

The fact that Trap will see out his contract is irrelevant to the fact that you talk a lot of shìt when it comes to all things Trap. We both knew that he would see out his contract because the FAI have no choice.

It is widely believed he was told he would need to be playing more to get a game for Ireland. He went to a top 7 team in the EPL, started week in week out, and still an unemployed Paul Green came on ahead of him at the Euros. I can completely see where he is coming from, and I don't blame him for not wanting to play under Trappatoni after such a stunt.

I would most definitely welcome him back into the fold. Him and McCarthy centre midfield is ten times better than Whelan and McCarthy

So you can choose when and when not to represent your country and only if you get on with the manager and are receiving an adequate amount of playing time? Oh and, yeah, if you're good enough any disdain you've shown in the past for representing your country can be ignored and you can come back to open arms when you fancy.

No that sir, is utter bollocks. The Irish jersey is supposed to mean more imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

How could it possibly be ten times better? on stats alone one could argue that Whelan technically had a better season than Gibson and Stoke are a solid mid table team not a million miles worse than Everton, Whelan is one of the anchors of their midfield ( which play a similar style to Ireland) and Gibson is in and out of the Everton (albeit with injuries accounting for some games missed)

Glenn Whelan is a player who would be in the stands watching the games if he wasn't playing in them himself. Gives his all for us and holds down a starting spot in the Premiership. Yet he'd be thrown under the bus in a heartbeat by most on here for a guy who has demonstrated that playing for Ireland isn't terribly important to him and hasn't been all that good the times he's played for us.

boards.ie soccer forum - where amazing happens.

peabutler wrote: »
    How could it possibly be ten times better? on stats alone one could argue that Whelan technically had a better season than Gibson and Stoke are a solid mid table team not a million miles worse than Everton, Whelan is one of the anchors of their midfield ( which play a similar style to Ireland) and Gibson is in and out of the Everton (albeit with injuries accounting for some games missed)

Everybody knows that stats can be misleading, but out of interest, show us these stats that make Whelan look better than Gibson.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Everybody knows that stats can be misleading, but out of interest, show us these stats that make Whelan look better than Gibson.

He doesn't need to be better or even as good.

I'll take:

Premiership player who runs his balls off playing for his country > Premiership player with superior ability with no interest in playing for his country

all day, every day

Whelan-Tournament Apps Goals Assists Yellow Red SpG PS% AW MoM
    Premier League* 31(1) - 4 4 - 0.7 81.9 0.8

Gibson-Tournament Apps Goals Assists Yellow Red SpG PS% AW MoM
    Premier League* 22(1) 1 2 4 1 1.6 81.7 0.4 1

Similar pass percentage, Whelan has 2 more assists and one less goal in 9 games but is a more defensive player, Gibson also shoots more, Same amount of yellows and one Gibson red card. Now obviously stats aren't the be all and end all of a player but Gibson and Whelan were much the same this season both statistically and from what I saw.

peabutler wrote: »
    Whelan-Tournament Apps Goals Assists Yellow Red SpG PS% AW MoM
    Premier League* 31(1) - 4 4 - 0.7 81.9 0.8

Gibson-Tournament Apps Goals Assists Yellow Red SpG PS% AW MoM
    Premier League* 22(1) 1 2 4 1 1.6 81.7 0.4 1

Similar pass percentage, Whelan has 2 more assists and one less goal in 9 games but is a more defensive player, Gibson also shoots more, Same amount of yellows and one Gibson red card. Now obviously stats aren't the be all and end all of a player but Gibson and Whelan were much the same this season both statistically and from what I saw.

So even though you claimed that on stats alone you "could argue that Whelan technically had a better season than Gibson" you are now choosing not to? Thought so.

Oh okay so tell me how this midfield of Gibson and McCarthy would be ten times better ? Ten times better than a midfield that drew with England ? Oh that is wonderful we'll have no problem having 90% possession away in Germany so with the greatest midfield partnership in international history if Gibson comes back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

He was not great? Just like your Glen Whelans, Paul Greens of this world so.

I agree that he should be man enough and still continue to turn up for his country. But he should have been given a chance.

It's not like we have quality coming out in ambundence in this country.

Reality is Gibson should be on short list of the Irish team.

Advertisement