Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Rep. of Ireland - May 29th 2013 - 8PM

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Did you not see us in Euros? Did you not see Spain pass ball around 896 times in 90 minutes in what was a stroll in the park? Did you not see us beat Kazathstan with 2 goals in last few minutes? Did you miss the 1-6 game against Germany? Did you see us live in fear in our own home against Austria? Have you seen us been played off the park against Armenia? Yes Armenia?

Have you been living in cuckoo land for Trap reign?

Awaits the old Stan times chestnut.

In fairness that Spain side would pass the ball 896 times around most if not all Irish teams we have ever had

On the Trap point, I agree 100%. The squad picks get more baffling every time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

A lot is said about James McCarthy, but Robbie Brady is looking a very exciting young talent too. 12 assists for Hull (2nd most in the league) and he only played the second half of the season... impressive. Exceptional set piece delivery from looking at the Football League Show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In fairness that Spain side would pass the ball 896 times around most if not all Irish teams we have ever had

On the Trap point, I agree 100%. The squad picks get more baffling every time

They were always going to our pass us, it was more the ease of it all.

I would of expected a better effort from Andorra. Spain should have won by double the amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

The Spain game doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the Germany one did. Never in my life-time have I seen an Irish team just let another team walk all over them at Lansdowne Road. It used to be a fortress that any world class side dreaded going to. It's not like that anymore. Better teams than that German side have come to Lansdowne Road over the years and those sides didn't have it anywhere near as easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Am I the only one who wishes this throwaway friendly was never green lighted. Would have loved it, LOVED IT (Thanks Kev) if fate were to draw us together in a competitive game? More bragging rights, more on the line and really capture the public's imagination.

Omackeral wrote: »
    Am I the only one who wishes this throwaway friendly was never green lighted. Would have loved it, LOVED IT (Thanks Kev) if fate were to draw us together in a competitive game? More bragging rights, more on the line and really capture the public's imagination.

It's been 18 years to long been honest.

Friendly or not many young Irish supporters have never seen a Ireland England game.

Yes be nice if was major tournement though I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

I really hope the recent re-emergence of hooliganism involving English sides doesn't impact this game at all. Would be a hell of a shame if a small minority were to ruin this fixture for the second time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Are not City and Chelsea in the States for some silly profile raising in late May?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 492 ✭✭thebison

Seen something about this game being on Setanta Ireland?

Yep, it's on Setanta Ireland it seems.

936162_493315154056591_52382056_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

andyman wrote: »
    The Spain game doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as the Germany one did. Never in my life-time have I seen an Irish team just let another team walk all over them at Lansdowne Road. It used to be a fortress that any world class side dreaded going to. It's not like that anymore. Better teams than that German side have come to Lansdowne Road over the years and those sides didn't have it anywhere near as easy.

Er, What? Name one better side we've played at Lansdowne in the last 20 years? The Italians? The French? The Dutch? The Russians? None of which are better than the current German team. That German team that spanked us is full of talent. They are just as good as any team out there at the moment including the spanish and Brazilians.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of Trap and we played poorly against Germany but I think you are getting carried away there. That was no average German team.

Hoki wrote: »
    I really hope the recent re-emergence of hooliganism involving English sides doesn't impact this game at all. Would be a hell of a shame if a small minority were to ruin this fixture for the second time.

It will be interesting to see what type of Irish 'fan' comes along.

I don't expect too much trouble if I'm honest.

Say Police will be well on top of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

It will be interesting to see what type of Irish 'fan' comes along.

Celtic kits with the #32 on the back.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It's nice to see an ireland squad with a bit quality than in recent years.

Coleman and long will have a great game I reckon.

Celtic kits with the #32 on the back.

:rolleyes:

You could well get few of those. Hopefully not. If they go looking for it they will get it and get hammered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

How long into the game before we hear "No Surrender to the IRA!" I say before the 10 minute mark.

Will the national anthem get booed? Most likely.

Any crowd trouble? Unlikely. England don't usually riot at home. But I would suspect a hostile atmosphere highlighting theres still a lot of anti-irish feeling in Britain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

But I would suspect a hostile atmosphere highlighting theres still a lot of anti-irish feeling in Britain.

Really? Thought those days were well gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

nonsense

so you'd look like Samuel L Jackson if your Irish parents had been living in Africa when you were born then?

I understand it when it's about the 'Granny Rule' and lads like Paul Green or Andy Townsend going back further, but Gary Breen and Kevin Kilbane are Irish nationals born outside the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

How long into the game before we hear "No Surrender to the IRA!" I say before the 10 minute mark.

Will the national anthem get booed? Most likely.

Any crowd trouble? Unlikely. England don't usually riot at home. But I would suspect a hostile atmosphere highlighting theres still a lot of anti-irish feeling in Britain.

Nah. The Wembley crowd is mostly families. I got an email from The FA the other day offering tickets so I assume that this isn't a sell-out

England manager Roy Hodgson tells fans to cut out anti IRA songs at Ireland friendly

Don't think it will work, there's always a section of them. Hopefully this gives precedence for both sides not sing idiotic songs. A lot England fans have strong links towards NI Loyalists and have a severe hatred towards Irish people/those of Irish ancestry. They will be there because they're there at every England game.

Under UEFA ruling however England fans caught chanting NS to the IRA can be banned for two years and the English FA could be fined £25,000. Something for the FAI to think of if it does get bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

England manager Roy Hodgson tells fans to cut out anti IRA songs at Ireland friendly

Don't think it will work, there's always a section of them. Hopefully this gives precedence for both sides not sing idiotic songs. A lot England fans have strong links towards NI Loyalists and have a severe hatred towards Irish people/those of Irish ancestry. They will be there because they're there at every England game.

Under UEFA ruling however England fans caught chanting NS to the IRA can be banned for two years and the English FA could be fined £25,000. Something for the FAI to think of if it does get bad.

What gives you that idea ? :confused:

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    What gives you that idea ? :confused:

Umm I thought it was well known?

I'm not talking about common regular England fans. I'm talking about those who have links to the National Front, which used to form a large contigent of the England support. Combat 18 were the main group who responsible for organising the riot in 95'. Are they representive of English people of course not, but its well known Englands football support has notoriously had links to the far right, something which Rugby, Tennis, Cricket have all thankfully avoided.

Both of these games will attract some twats on both sides. To state that theres significant anti-Irish sentiment amongst the rank and file English support is nonsense. I'm sure the ground will have a huge number of Irish people in it outside of the designated away area for a start.

As I said, the vast majority of the English support will be kids and families.

The national anthem probably will be booed, but then so are most unfortunately. It's almost a tradition now,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Umm I thought it was well known?

I'm not talking about common regular England fans. I'm talking about those who have links to the National Front, which used to form a large contigent of the England support. Combat 18 were the main group who responsible for organising the riot in 95'. Are they representive of English people of course not, but its well known Englands football support has notoriously had links to the far right, something which Rugby, Tennis, Cricket have all thankfully avoided.

There's been a marked improvement in the calibre of person who goes to watch England games in the last 10 years or so, I'm going to the game and save for a few comments from EDL types or their Hibernia-Than-Thou counterparts bitching about 2nd Generation Irish in their end, I expect the whole event to be trouble free.

The so called Loyalist connection thing was just Chelsea fans from places like Staines or Hounslow looking for an identity because they've none of their own, there's also the macho posturing facet of Loyalism that appeals to them, in all honesty they're the types of people who'd come over here and get the DART to Shankill looking for Orange marches such is their cluelessness about the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Quite what happens after that is unclear, however. The 74-year-old said Pilkington, who is also carrying a slight knee injury, “could be important against the Faroe Islands”, and indicated that he will talk with the player about his plans when the squad meet up in London on Sunday week. “He doesn’t know what will happen in the future but he will have many opportunities to go on honeymoon,” he observed.
    Trapattoni acknowledged, however, that there is the potential for Pilkington to encounter “problems with his wife” and didn’t seem optimistic regarding the prospect of the 24-year-old interrupting his honeymoon in order to travel to Dublin for the World Cup qualifier on June 7th.
    Pro. F wrote: »
    Trap doing a great job of starting a public dispute with Pilkington over his honeymoon plans, all because of a game against the mighty Faroes. Another gobshíte move from the man management genius.

If this doesn't get sorted then its 100% on the player, and no blame to Trapp.
    These qualifiers were scheduled 16 months ago, and even if the wedding/honeymoon were arranged beforehand well they shouldn't have been - there are known dates on which international qualifiers could be played and this is one of them. Anyone close to playing for their national team should be keeping these dates free or be ready to drop their other plans at a moments notice.

Pilkington officially pulls out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

If this doesn't get sorted then its 100% on the player, and no blame to Trapp.
    These qualifiers were scheduled 16 months ago, and even if the wedding/honeymoon were arranged beforehand well they shouldn't have been - there are known dates on which international qualifiers could be played and this is one of them. Anyone close to playing for their national team should be keeping these dates free or be ready to drop their other plans at a moments notice.

I thought he only got his first call up in January, but I had a google to check and I see he was called up last August previous to that and only missed out because of injury. So, yeah I agree, this looks like Pilkington just doesn't care very much. Not Trap's fault in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Haven't read the thread but just posting to say it will be 0-0. If I'm right then I'll remember this post and quote it and look really smart. If I'm wrong then everyone will have forgotten by the time this match is over anyway... a smart move in itself.

Reasoning behind it is Ireland love clean sheets and won't want to lose so won't commit players forward even in a friendly because it's against England. England aren't that good so might struggle to break Ireland down if we play well defensively. Most good teams do score against us, they score a few to be fair, and as it's a friendly it wouldn't surprise me if England do get a few but I don't rate them nearly as highly as the teams who beat us at the Euros (except Croatia) or the Germans; they may struggle to open the scoring and thus I smell a 0-0 anti-climax spectacular.

Regardless of the result it should be a good game for a friendly because there won't be anything friendly about it. It should be an annual thing with some gammy trophy on offer, imo.

jive wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread but just posting to say it will be 0-0. If I'm right then I'll remember this post and quote it and look really smart. If I'm wrong then everyone will have forgotten by the time this match is over anyway... a smart move in itself.

Reasoning behind it is Ireland love clean sheets and won't want to lose so won't commit players forward even in a friendly because it's against England. England aren't that good so might struggle to break Ireland down if we play well defensively. Most good teams do score against us, they score a few to be fair, and as it's a friendly it wouldn't surprise me if England do get a few but I don't rate them nearly as highly as the teams who beat us at the Euros (except Croatia) or the Germans; they may struggle to open the scoring and thus I smell a 0-0 anti-climax spectacular.

Regardless of the result it should be a good game for a friendly because there won't be anything friendly about it. It should be an annual thing with some gammy trophy on offer, imo.

I'd snap your hand off for 0-0 right now.

But the reality is England will probably beat us and beat us handy. They won against Spain and Brazil at Wembley in the not-too-distant past so can definitely put a few past us.

We always play well in friendlies against better teams. Stan side beat Denmark 4-0 in 07. We can't seem to do the same in competitive games though.

But the reality is England will probably beat us and beat us handy. They won against Spain and Brazil at Wembley in the not-too-distant past so can definitely put a few past us.

Very different set up though in those games.

Ireland can beat us next week, no doubt in my mind. I don't think you will though because I don't think Trap will go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

how many squads has Pilkington pulled out of?

Spain and Brazil aren't the best defensively so once the English defence held up they were gravy. Let's see them break down the green bus that will inevitably be parked up on the 18 yard line :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

dubmick wrote: »
    how many squads has Pilkington pulled out of?

4. Looks bad alright.

Spain and Brazil aren't the best defensively so once the English defence held up they were gravy. Let's see them break down the green bus that will inevitably be parked up on the 18 yard line :p

There's been zero evidence of that green bus in the last year. Our defensive capabilities is no longer something to shout about.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    There's been zero evidence of that green bus in the last year. Our defensive capabilities is no longer something to shout about.

2 clean sheets in our last 3 games I believe. We'll find out next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

I'll watch this game in portugal and while i'm looking forward to it I am dreading the drunken english watching the game and i'm dreading the drunken irish watching the game.

Both sets are minorities but they're very loud and no doubt in the hours that follow the game those minorities will have a fight over something they both equally no **** all about but feel they must because they're irish and english and supposed to hate one another.

On a football note I worry about this game, if england get their tales up we could be rolled over, i dont know about our teams character anymore. One thing that was always a given in irish teams is now a massive loss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

sugarman wrote: »
    Keane out of the squad, L.A Galaxy wont release him.

First and probably last chance he'll have to play England. Pity.

I thought that under FIFA regulations, they had no choice but release him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

TaosHum wrote: »
    I thought that under FIFA regulations, they had no choice but release him?

No. It's not counted as a FIFA calendar game. It's clubs discretion.

sugarman wrote: »
    Keane out of the squad, L.A Galaxy wont release him.

First and probably last chance he'll have to play England. Pity.

I know that Galaxy pay his wages etc. etc. but that is fairly shít for Keane to be fair. Everyone jokes about Keane's boyhood dreams and the likes every time he signs for a new club but I'm sure playing against England at Wembley is certainly something he would have loved even if it is just a friendly. He would have been ~8 years old when Houghton scored 'that' goal... it could actually realistically be one of his many boyhood dreams haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

That means its Conor Sammon playing up top then..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,357 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I know that Galaxy pay his wages etc. etc. but that is fairly shít for Keane to be fair. Everyone jokes about Keane's boyhood dreams and the likes every time he signs for a new club but I'm sure playing against England at Wembley is certainly something he would have loved even if it is just a friendly. He would have been ~8 years old when Houghton scored 'that' goal... it could actually realistically be one of his many boyhood dreams haha.

Yeah the US play Belguim on the same day that we play England. And the Galaxy have a game that day. So will be interesting to see if the Galaxy release whichever of their players play for the US.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Keane has negotiated his way into playing with galaxy thank god.

klose wrote: »
    Keane has negotiated his way into playing with galaxy thank god.
    aramush wrote: »
    That means its Conor Sammon playing up top then..

Ah Jaysus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus...

If it means no sammon then yes thank god :P ideally id have long with wes in behind him but thats not likely

klose wrote: »
    If it means no sammon then yes thank god :P ideally id have long with wes in behind him but thats not likely

The meaning of my post is that Sammon will be playing because of Keane's availability. 2 up top. Bang it up the yard there. Sure the Brits know nothing of that kind of football. Catch them on the hop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Kirby wrote: »
    Er, What? Name one better side we've played at Lansdowne in the last 20 years? The Italians? The French? The Dutch? The Russians? None of which are better than the current German team. That German team that spanked us is full of talent. They are just as good as any team out there at the moment including the spanish and Brazilians.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not fond of Trap and we played poorly against Germany but I think you are getting carried away there. That was no average German team.

The Dutch side in 2001 would be close enough on their day. The Portuguese side as well both in 2001 and especially 1995. Croatia who were third in World Cup 1998 maybe wouldn't be far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

I'm happy for Keane. He'll definitely give it his all after that mini drama. I can't see the likes of Pilkington ever going to them lengths to play a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Fair play to Robbie, a Wembley game against England obviously means a lot to him. Great to see some players still have that passion to play for their country.

Reading about Commons from Celtic retiring from Scotland at 29 and many more like him, it's great to see someone like Robbie who wants to keep playing for us as long as he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

Stevecw wrote: »
    Fair play to Robbie, a Wembley game against England obviously means a lot to him. Great to see some players still have that passion to play for their country.

Reading about Commons from Celtic retiring from Scotland at 29 and many more like him, it's great to see someone like Robbie who wants to keep playing for us as long as he can.

yes it did obviously mean a lot to him, thats because hes a genuine irish player/fan. a game against england is huge for all genuinely irish players, you wouldnt get that from the foreign players we have under the granny rulw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I wonder will they have a minutes silence for the soldier who was murdered yesterday.If so,I hope that some Irish lad doesnt act the bollix in the crowd.Id say there will be a lot of tension around.

• Advertisement
Advertisement