Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Rep. of Ireland - May 29th 2013 - 8PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I wonder will they have a minutes silence for the soldier who was murdered yesterday.If so,I hope that some Irish lad doesnt act the bollix in the crowd.Id say there will be a lot of tension around.

A minutes applause would suit better, that way anyone acting the dick is drowned out.

Or better yet, have no applause/silence, just wear black armbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

When is the team to start getting named, anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Does anybody reckon that this game might well be a watershed for Trap? If it goes really badly against England and the team were to lose heavily, could that actually be the final straw? This is probably the kind of friendly he would have rather avoided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

population wrote: »
    Does anybody reckon that this game might well be a watershed for Trap? If it goes really badly against England and the team were to lose heavily, could that actually be the final straw? This is probably the kind of friendly he would have rather avoided.

Given he has gotten us to a play-off, then a Championship and the fact we are still in contention for 2nd spot in this group....

No, I'd have to say the result against a team far superior to us in a friendly probably won't be a watershed moment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Yeah, biggest game since the 1-6 mauling against Germany. It's very important that we give a decent performance, even if we don't win. People aren't going to be happy if we get trounced by England. Trap's days are numbered anyway, he'll be gone after we fail to qualify.

Best case scenario:
    Forde
    Coleman - O'Shea - St Ledger - Wilson
    Whelan - McCarthy
    Brady
    McGeady
    Hoolahan
    Long

Play that and it could be a competitive, exciting game.

Worst case scenario:
    Forde
    McShane - O'Shea - O'Dea - Wilson
    Whelan - Green
    Walters
    McClean
    Keane
    Sammon

Play that and it could be an embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Can I ask why Whelan is your automatic choice in midfield?.I think he brings nothing to the team.I think Meyler is a far better player.

Can I ask why Whelan is your automatic choice in midfield?.I think he brings nothing to the team.I think Meyler is a far better player.

He is a favourite of Trap and I just can't see Meyler starting unless injury strikes because of no competitive starts under his belt. I think Trap will be treating this one as a big game.

I think Meyler could be a potentially a better fit to Trap's system than Whelan because he is big and strong though... we will find out in due course. :)

Stephen Quinn called up instead of Green who has to pull out. Probably should have been in the squad in the first place but oh well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Augmerson wrote: »
    Yeah, biggest game since the 1-6 mauling against Germany. It's very important that we give a decent performance, even if we don't win. People aren't going to be happy if we get trounced by England. Trap's days are numbered anyway, he'll be gone after we fail to qualify.

Nonsense the sweden and austria games were far more importat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

He is a favourite of Trap and I just can't see Meyler starting unless injury strikes because of no competitive starts under his belt. I think Trap will be treating this one as a big game.

I think Meyler could be a potentially a better fit to Trap's system than Whelan because he is big and strong though... we will find out in due course. :)
    I doubt Whelan will be risked for this when he's carrying a knock and with the qualifiers coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

What Tv station is this game on?

Thanks

What Tv station is this game on?

Thanks

Setanta and Itv, sky probably have it too

News now that Dunne could play some part after being out for a year while Trap could have called up Burnley's Kevin Long.

noodler wrote: »
    Given he has gotten us to a play-off, then a Championship and the fact we are still in contention for 2nd spot in this group....

No, I'd have to say the result against a team far superior to us in a friendly probably won't be a watershed moment.

Given the level of discontent amongst the fans and the dross that is served up match after match, another 5 goal margin against a team who despite being better than us, are not 'far superior' as you put it, I would not be so sure. Were buying out his contract not such a big issue finance wise, I feel this could well have been a do or die for him which would be an unusual situation to face in a friendly.

Nonsense the sweden and austria games were far more importat

What I should have said is that England are the best team since we played Germany. No disrespect to Sweden, Austria or Poland - very good teams. But I will agree, the qualifiers are more important to us than a friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I'm really not looking forward to this :(

kfallon wrote: »
    I'm really not looking forward to this :(
    I am. We always do well away from home, Robbie Keane is obviously very eager to get involved with the squad for it and he has only gotten one goal (a penalty) for us in the last 18 months. Any time goal scorer 7/2 - yes please

Given the level of discontent amongst the fans and the dross that is served up match after match, another 5 goal margin against a team who despite being better than us, are not 'far superior' as you put it, I would not be so sure. Were buying out his contract not such a big issue finance wise, I feel this could well have been a do or die for him which would be an unusual situation to face in a friendly.

England are far superior too us.

Choose any metric you like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Sweden hammered England didnt they
    We got something out of the Swedes in a competitive match
    So youd never know

The lads will be up for this match. I wouldnt put it passed Keane to bag one (probably from the spot)

A score draw I would say (hoepfully not us getting a hiding)
    It all depends how Trap will play and who he will play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sin City wrote: »
    Sweden hammered England didnt they
    We got something out of the Swedes in a competitive match
    So youd never know

The lads will be up for this match. I wouldnt put it passed Keane to bag one (probably from the spot)

A score draw I would say (hoepfully not us getting a hiding)
    It all depends how Trap will play and who he will play

Ah jaysus, Trap isn't lining out for us, is he?

Ah jaysus, Trap isn't lining out for us, is he?

He has his own jersey and everything

giovanni-trapattoni-oldest-coach-of-euro-2012.jpg

^^^^^^ eyes firmly on the prize......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

im confident we will get at least a draw here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

He has his own jersey and everything

giovanni-trapattoni-oldest-coach-of-euro-2012.jpg

He is chuckling away to himself at her formation,

She has too much up front!

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    England are far superior too us.

Choose any metric you like.

So you are saying that if we get turned over by England in the same manner that we were by Germany despite the fact that Germany are superior to England, oh and use any metric you like, that everybody will be happy enough and there won't be any increase of anti Trap sentiment and no increased pressure on his role as manager? People found it very hard to take in what happened against Germany despite the fact that they are 'far superior' to us. England are better than us, no doubt, but a humiliation against them could cause already negative sentiment to boil over imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

So you are saying that if we get turned over by England in the same manner that we were by Germany despite the fact that Germany are superior to England, oh and use any metric you like, that everybody will be happy enough and there won't be any increase of anti Trap sentiment and no increased pressure on his role as manager? People found it very hard to take in what happened against Germany despite the fact that they are 'far superior' to us. England are better than us, no doubt, but a humiliation against them would cause already negative sentiment to boil over imo.

You think the anti Trapp sentiment is relevant and potentially impactful. It isn't. Trapp is here through the end of our World Cup 2014 participation and no more or less.

sugarman wrote: »
    Far superior team than England, sure they made a show of them in Novemeber. I'd like to see an England team come back from 4-0 in an away qualifier to Germany, considering they couldnt even beat Montenegro.

I think Hodgson made too many changes at half time in that game and England lost complete control of things after that. Too many new faces came on. Cracking game all the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 963 ✭✭✭NinjaK

Nothing better then beating the English!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I'm pissed off as I was hoping to head to the match but instead I'm currently sitting in a hotel room in Darlington as I'm here for the whole week with work.

So best I can do is catch it on the TV with the local northerners.

Come on Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mirror is saying this will be englands line up

Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Walcott, Rooney, Oxlade Chamberlain, Sturridge.

klose wrote: »
    Mirror is saying this will be englands line up

Hart, Johnson, Jagielka, Cahill, Cole, Carrick, Lampard, Walcott, Rooney, Oxlade Chamberlain, Sturridge.

Not a single Irishman would get into that team if it was club level except maybe Coleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Not a single Irishman would get into that team if it was club level except maybe Coleman.

Big swinging mickey.

You could say that about every meeting with the English since 88. Fortunately our record against them speaks for itself. Sure we are 1-0 up since the first leg anyway ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Pro. F wrote: »
    Big swinging mickey.

Absolutely, no reason why we can't still do them on Wednesday. We've beaten far better teams than this current England side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The winner will be the team that takes this most seriously.

We have an all Premiership defence now to put the clampers on them.

Colman - O'Shea - Delaney - McShane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

We have an all Premiership defence now to put the clampers on them.

Colman - O'Shea - Delaney - McShane

Wilson?

Edit: Just realised he's injured.

Wilson injured I think.Dunne to play on Sunday against Georgia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Every England fan with ticket got letter today asking not to sing religious or politicial songs.

Can't wait for the game. I was in 3rd or 4th class the last time we played them.

Too long!

• Advertisement

Both excited and nervous to see Dunne back.

Really hope he doesn't break down again.

Hope a promoted club takes a punt on him but you fear he might have to drop a level to get a club.

Absolutely, no reason why we can't still do them on Wednesday. We've beaten far better teams than this current England side.

Such as? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Is it just me, or has the build up to this been fairly muted? Asked my wife if she knew what game was on tomorrow night and she didn't know. Whether or not she knows anything about soccer, there would be a time where this match would be bigger news, even if it is a friendly. Don't hear anyone at work talking about it either.

Not expecting a win but would be happy if we put in a decent performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

people in work keep forgetting that this match is on.

LowOdour wrote: »
    Is it just me, or has the build up to this been fairly muted? Asked my wife if she knew what game was on tomorrow night and she didn't know. Whether or not she knows anything about soccer, there would be a time where this match would be bigger news, even if it is a friendly. Don't hear anyone at work talking about it either.

Not expecting a win but would be happy if we put in a decent performance.

I was thinking that myself
    Even on SSN the only thing the said was the email from Woy about not singing the anti Irish/IRA songs

Its like they are not hyping it up so they dont give hooligans a platform or something

kfallon wrote: »
    Such as? :confused:

In our history
    Italy
    Brazil
    Holland
    England
    France
    Spain
    Germany
    etc

Even on SSN the only thing the said was the email from Woy about not singing the anti Irish/IRA songs

Its like they are not hyping it up so they dont give hooligans a platform or something
    This is a much bigger game for us than it is for the English, after the CL final and playoff final in the last 4 days, even SSN would struggle to hype this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Its not on Sky Sports so they aren't going to overly push a friendly that they aren't broadcasting.

In our history
    Italy
    Brazil
    Holland
    England
    France
    Spain
    Germany
    etc

Hah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Any suggestions as best location to watch the match in town?

Advertisement