Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England vs Rep. of Ireland - May 29th 2013 - 8PM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

joe316 wrote: »
    Any suggestions as best location to watch the match in town?

Synnots.

Woolshed.

Went to Karma Stone recently for Europa League final - very quiet but pints of fosters were 3 euro and were a hell of a lot nice than I remember from the UCD student bar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Was thinking Sinnotts alright, most of us are coming from the D2/4 area so thats probably the best bet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Paddy Power thinks its a walk in the park for England

England 1/2

Draw 16/5

Ireland 11/2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Paddy Power thinks its a walk in the park for England

England 1/2

Draw 16/5

Ireland 11/2

Usual Paddy Power lark of giving sh.ite prices on Ireland. 7/1 available with Bet365 and VCBet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sin City wrote: »
    In our history
    Italy
    Brazil
    Holland
    England
    France
    Spain
    Germany
    etc

C'mon, we're talking about with this bunch of players & manager - not results 20 years ago!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

kfallon wrote: »
    C'mon, we're talking about with this bunch of players & manager - not results 20 years ago!!!

This is not a competitive match and England are very average at the minute themselves. They will probably be emptying the benches of both sides with a half an hour left.

Even if it was a competitive encounter, it's an average English team and Irish players will play up v England no matter who the manager is.

Lennonist wrote: »
    This is not a competitive match and England are very average at the minute themselves. They will probably be emptying the benches of both sides with a half an hour left.

Even if it was a competitive encounter, it's an average English team and Irish players will play up v England no matter who the manager is.

I'm not arguing any of that but the original post I had a problem with said we'd beaten better teams than England.....under Trapp we most certainly have not! We have beaten France who were awful and made a show of themselves at the WC2010!

And ultimately they beat us over 2 legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

The English team may well be very average but we're still a few levels below them and would be lucky to have a player make their starting line up. This of course doesn't mean we can't beat them but is far more relevant than us beating Brazil in the 80's or England in 88.

This group of players haven't really shown they can punch above their weight and get a result tomorrow IMO but I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

We beat France (in 90 mins)
    We beat Holland Sweden and Denmark under Stan

Sure we were unlucky not to beat the Swedes under Trap
    The same Swedes that gave England a hiding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

A very friendly 1 - 1 draw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Didn't Holland beat us 4-0 under Stan?

Sure we beat Italy under Trap in a friendly but I would hardly use that as a significant reason as to why we England are not far superior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Anyone have any recommedation on a good pub for a few pre-match drinks with fellow Irish supporters?

Will probably end up in Hennessys as thats close to the stadium and I know a few are going there but just wondering on other options?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭briany

noodler wrote: »
    Didn't Holland beat us 4-0 under Stan?

Sure we beat Italy under Trap in a friendly but I would hardly use that as a significant reason as to why we England are not far superior.

Ireland beat Holland in a friendly under Kerr in 2004. I don't recall Ireland beating Holland under Stan. I do remember Holland hockeying Ireland 4-0 during Stan's tenure, but I'd like to forget.

Some goal by Robbie for the 0-1 win back in '04 though. Couldn't believe that it was largely by the same team that limped out of the ECQs the previous year.

I did stress under this manager in my post, not previous 'gaffers'!

And like I said, that France team were awful as we saw in South Africa! We couldn't beat Italy or France in the qualifiers and they were practically the first two teams on the plane home from WC2010!

Unlucky not to beat the Swedes? :confused: I must have been watching a different game to you!

Sorry , Yes it was Kerr,
    Dont know why I thought it was Stan

Sorry , Yes it was Kerr,
    Dont know why I thought it was Stan

Well he was capable of fantastic results like that so I can see why you would have thought it was Stan :P

Pray to God we get a result tomorrow night! Hate losing to them

So Wilson out and Whelan and McCarthy nursing injuries too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

RoryMac wrote: »
    The English team may well be very average but we're still a few levels below them and would be lucky to have a player make their starting line up. This of course doesn't mean we can't beat them but is far more relevant than us beating Brazil in the 80's or England in 88.

This group of players haven't really shown they can punch above their weight and get a result tomorrow IMO but I hope I'm wrong.

On paper our players are always a few levels below, but they always play up v England and that will include the current team no matter who they are manged by. By general standards I'd say both teams are average/ below average vintage.

Anyway this is a freindly and my prediction is that it will end up being a draw or a narrow England win by the odd goal. I wont be putting money on a prediction because it's not a competitive fixture.

On paper our players are always a few levels below, but they always play up v England and that will include the current team no matter who they are manged by.

I had that same view before Euro2012, "Ah we always perform well in bigger tournaments no matter what. We're never disgraced and always give anyone a match!"

How did that work out? :(

I do honestly hope you are right tho and the players play above themselves tomorrow night, fingers crossed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

What channel will this be on?,looking at setanta on the guide and can't find it anywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,926 ✭✭✭deisedude

pmcmahon wrote: »
    What channel will this be on?,looking at setanta on the guide and can't find it anywhere

Its definitely on Setanta Ireland. They have been showing ads non stop!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Setanta!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

sugarman wrote: »
    Heading there myself, theyre expecting a couple hundred so get in early!

Cheers for the heads up.
    Flying over early enough tomorrow so will hopefully make it in before the crowd!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭RoryMac

On paper our players are always a few levels below, but they always play up v England and that will include the current team no matter who they are manged by. By general standards I'd say both teams are average/ below average vintage.

Anyway this is a freindly and my prediction is that it will end up being a draw or a narrow England win by the odd goal. I wont be putting money on a prediction because it's not a competitive fixture.

As kfallon says above I don't see that this group of players do play up against teams. We don't have many leaders in the squad that can drag a performance out of their teammates. Maybe if Dunne was fit there'd be more chance of it.

I'd disagree a bit on us always being a few levels below England, back in 88 & 90 we had players of a very similar level imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

ITV1 as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

You could say that about every meeting with the English since 88. Fortunately our record against them speaks for itself. Sure we are 1-0 up since the first leg anyway ;)

Disagree, we had an outstanding team back in the late 80s/early 90s that could match them all over the pitch.

Trap naming team at 16:15

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Trap naming team at 16:15

Any links to watch it or an audio stream?

deisedude wrote: »
    Its definitely on Setanta Ireland. They have been showing ads non stop!
    LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Setanta!

All setanta is showing me is GAA on setanta ireland and Racing on Setanta 1 :confused:
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    ITV1 as well.

Looks like i won't get to record it so :(

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    Any links to watch it or an audio stream?

www.claptrapp.ie

Does exactly what it says on the tin, you won't understand a word of it :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

All setanta is showing me is GAA on setanta ireland and Racing on Setanta 1 :confused:

Setanta Ireland...

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland...

Never mind my stupidity,wrong day on the tv guide.

Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, St Ledger, Kelly, Walters, McCarthy, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Long

Forde, Coleman, O'Shea, St Ledger, Kelly, Walters, McCarthy, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Long

Thank God - no McShane!

No Weso

Rabble rabble rabble

Keane playing

Rabble rabble rabble

4-4-2 again

Rabble rabble rabble

• Advertisement

Walters on the wing again? Got himself into a lot of space against Sweden but wasn't picked out which was frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

No Weso

Rabble rabble rabble

Keane playing

Rabble rabble rabble

4-4-2 again

Rabble rabble rabble

and you expected different?? :p

and you expected different?? :p

I thought for a second there I heard that he was going to to a 4 5 1 with Wes behind the lone frontman

Ah well Trap is a professional manager
    Im sure he always makes the right call

I thought for a second there I heard that he was going to to a 4 5 1 with Wes behind the lone frontman

Ah well Trap is a professional manager
    Im sure he always makes the right call

No, no he does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The team isn't as awful as it usually is, but Hoolahan should be starting instead of Keane.

• Advertisement

No, no he does not.

Surely you dont think you or I know better than a respected professional manager such as Trap do you?:confused::confused::confused:

Not too bad apart from Walters on the wing.

England will have fun against Kelly, but no real alternative with Wilson (presumably) out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Cole will lead England out but lamps is the captain, so strange. Just give cole the armband roy :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

klose wrote: »
    Cole will lead England out but lamps is the captain, so strange. Just give cole the armband roy :rolleyes:

Been clarified that he will captain them, according to The LOI Blog

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Such as? :confused:

I'm obviously talking about previous Irish sides, where despite being better ourselves, we would've been heavy underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Starting line-up actually not looking too bad for tomorrow imo:

FAI Twitter:
    Trap's starting XI for #EngIrl tomorrow:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

callaway92 wrote: »
    Starting line-up actually not looking too bad for tomorrow imo:

FAI Twitter:

O'Shea, Kelly, Walters on the right and Whelan. I'm sure we'll give them a good battle it just makes soul destroying reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,856 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Corholio wrote: »
    O'Shea, Kelly, Walters on the right and Whelan. I'm sure we'll give them a good battle it just makes soul destroying reading.

Ah ya, I'm not doubting it will be a tough match to get through (viewing wise) but the team itself looks like a stern enough outfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

I predict this ain't gonna be pretty. :(

I predict a riot!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

its probably been answered a hundred times on here already, but what channel is this on tomorrow night?

Is it setanta only?

• Advertisement
Advertisement