Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Gym queries.

Options
  • 16-05-2013 1:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

So I've been going to my university gym all year and in that time I've been an avid lifter, but now that I'm off College for the summer I can't access a gym as their is none in my local area, and I can't drive yet, so relatively close ones are out of the question.

So I've decided a home gym would be the best solution, the only problem is everywhere online seems bloody expensive, and I can't find anything better on online classifieds.

So, just wondering if anyone who has set up a home gym themselves could help me out?

I would be looking for any type of weights, but at the moment by highest lift is/was my deadlift which I was doing 140kg on, so I'd need a bit more than that if I want to make progress over the summer.

So my queries are:

Would a 7ft olympique bar be the only option? Or would a 6ft one be just as good,just adding more weights?

Any cheap/good value places online that sell bars?

Also, my father is a mechanical fitter so a squat rack would be easier for him to make, or at least what a mean is a place to put the bar on for squats, i.e. just a rack in the wall.

We have a cheap york bench already at home, but I doubt that would hold 70kg or more I would probably need a new bench too. Any pointers? Again, any place online seems to only have top of the range, expensive ones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, I have a fairly decent home gym. My advice would be to get an olympic bar, solid bench and a squat rack. If your Dad can make one fair enough, but you need arms to take the bar if you cant stand up again, otherwise you'll always stop short because of fear of failure.
    Also, if the arms are at the right height, you can use them when you bench.
    With my rack, if I fail on the bench, I roll the bar along my chest up to my neck where the arms take the weight and I slide out.

Here's my set up.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/132018/206488.jpg

Get decent equipment now and it will last you a lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 gregbradley

Hi, I have a fairly decent home gym. My advice would be to get an olympic bar, solid bench and a squat rack. If your Dad can make one fair enough, but you need arms to take the bar if you cant stand up again, otherwise you'll always stop short because of fear of failure.
    Also, if the arms are at the right height, you can use them when you bench.
    With my rack, if I fail on the bench, I roll the bar along my chest up to my neck where the arms take the weight and I slide out.

Here's my set up.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/132018/206488.jpg

Get decent equipment now and it will last you a lifetime.

Nice gym!

How do you find training on your own? find it hard to stay motivated myself sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

5 foot and 6 foot Olympic bars are available. I have a 6 foot one which weighs 15 kg and I think is rated to 300 kg. There is loads of room for plates on it, sleeves are approx 14 inches which is enough when you consider that a a 20 kg plate is about 1.5-1.75 inches wide.

A 6 foot bar will be too narrow between the inner collars for most/all power cages that you can buy. Your dad could make a narrow cage but then you might have issues with foot placement in the squat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Nice gym!

How do you find training on your own? find it hard to stay motivated myself sometimes

I have no problem training alone but I usually have a friend who trains with me.

Advertisement