Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS Word - need to clear the format

Options
  • 16-05-2013 7:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone else have the problem of copying and pasting from a Google Drive Doc to MS Word and the format of the document changing so that there are unnecessary spaces before and after each line on the page. I have to manually delete the space and then if I add or remove a word, it upsets the format again and I have to delete more spaces.

Is there any way to fix this error "automatically" and clear this format?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's not an error, it's just Google. Use Office web app instead and you shouldn't have the same problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭RoisinRoseDubh

What can I do with a document that has already been created in Google Drive and copied to MS Word? Is the format a lost cause? :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

What can I do with a document that has already been created in Google Drive and copied to MS Word? Is the format a lost cause? :(

Can you not just save the document off Google Drive as a docx and then it should open in Word ok? The problem with copying and pasting is you will introduce Google specific formatting Word won't understand whereas saving in a format like docx will use a "universal" formatting

Nick

Yes, that would have been the sensible thing to do. However, I had a momentary lapse in intelligence and pasted it in, followed by a process of amending my work. So, the "dodgy format" draft is the most up to date version.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes, that would have been the sensible thing to do. However, I had a momentary lapse in intelligence and pasted it in, followed by a process of amending my work. So, the "dodgy format" draft is the most up to date version.

In word press the paragraph tool (not sure this is the correct term, it's that black reversed '|P' character). This will show up all the different formatting present in the word doc, and may help you find the pieces of formatting you need to delete.
    Also make sure in the paragraph options page you have set the correct line spacing

Nick

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'm taking a look at that now :) The "IP" tool seems to be showing up at the end of nearly every sentence...

The indentation seems to have been the problem. I think it may be looking a bit better now. Appreciate the advice, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thanks, I'm taking a look at that now :) The "IP" tool seems to be showing up at the end of nearly every sentence...

Paragraph.

Get rid of them. Let the page margins decide when a new line starts.

Paragraph.

Get rid of them. Let the page margins decide when a new line starts.

Started removing them earlier. Oh, if I only possessed a grain of common sense, I could avoid these kinds of obstacles :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

Started removing them earlier. Oh, if I only possessed a grain of common sense, I could avoid these kinds of obstacles :)

You can try find and replace find ^p and replace with a single space. This will remove all paragraph marks.
    Google also allows you to download as a word doc so you don't have to copy and paste

• Advertisement

Thanks!

Advertisement