Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing herbs

• 16-05-2013 7:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭

Instead of buying herb plants in a garden centre to grow, I've planted some sage, thyme, parsley and rosemary I bought in the supermarket.

They're a fraction of the price but am I wasting my thyme (geddit!)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Definitely not. Just treat them well. New compost and proper watering.
    I didn't bother with sowing basil this year and just bought some for 99c and split it in two and potted them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Will basil grow outside in Ireland? Thought it needed warmth.

Maybe, but you would need to be lucky I'd say, it's very tender. Greenhouse or polytunnel or else on a nice light window sill and it will do fine. Just water it from below by standing it in a dish of water till it soaks up what it needs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

thyme and rosemary like very free draining soil.

i bought some basil seeds at the weekend, a variety which will grow outside. i'm curious as to how they'll fare; i've not sowed them yet, given the low temperatures this week.

Would you not sow in modules or pots and plant them out later?

• Advertisement
Advertisement