Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV Coverage getting worse !

• 16-05-2013 8:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Watching the Euro ( also ran ) Cup final last night ( great result , I am a Chelsea fan ) , I was appalled by the coverage , this wasn't for a change ITV's fault because I assume it's the local ( Dutch TV ? ) people or some UEFA sanctioned team who have paid the largest bribe :-)

a) They nearly missed the goal , because they HAD to show a replay

b) The KEPT cutting to endless pictures of fans

c) A Benfica player was subbed , they spent 3 mins covering him limping around the pitch

d) The decided that an Interview with Lamps was needed when Chelsea were doing a very decent thing and giving Benfica a guard of honour ( that was possibly ITV's fault )

Looking back , I can think of countless things like this , for example

1) The time when ITV went to break and missed Arsenal lifting the Milk/Whatever it was called that week / League trophy
    2) The famous time they went to adverts and missed an England goal

Why oh why can't we have decent coverage

What do people think , is it getting worse because of the filthy lucre , or are the producers just useless ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

i agree it was shocking alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yep, pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty good. I mean shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya the reactions of both fans after nearly every incident was painful.

Coming up to the 90th minute they panned to the fans again when Benfica were just after winning a free kick about 35-40 yards out on the touch liine, a genuine chance but nah, they went to the crowd.

Baffling to say the least and what made it worse it was the same set of fans, the camera never bloody moved or panned to other sections.

It was a once off though I assume, I hope it isnt the same for next saturdays coverage at Wembley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I thought it was pretty funny that the commentator kept giving out about it despite the fact ITV are absolutely hopeless at it as well.

Pesky foreigners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ITV missed an England goal and missed Evertons winning goal in that FA Cup tie against Liverpool so that last night was not their doing merely indicates how shoddy commercial tv is with live sport as a rule.

The BBC not even competing to show football any more outside the WC/EC is depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If Dutch TV like showing shots of fans then I don't particularly see the issue as they were the host broadcaster afaik.
    Nearly missing the goal was bad obviously.

Personally I quite like the differences from a match in one country to another and wouldn't want identikit coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Townsend was quite bad last night too. Didn't even attempt to hide his excitement at Chelsea scoring. He sounded really deflated when Benfica got their penalty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

in recent world cups and euros the tv companies have focused a lot on good looking ladies in the crowd, which is a plus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

That_Guy wrote: »
    Townsend was quite bad last night too. Didn't even attempt to hide his excitement at Chelsea scoring. He sounded really deflated when Benfica got their penalty.

When I turned on and seen no Chiles, I rejoiced, then I realised it was Townsend doing the commentary.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

A lot of those crowd shots are edited. I think at the Euros last year a German woman was seen crying during the anthem only for it to come out it was footage from another match. Cant see the need for editing like that given theres plenty of live emotion on display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Sky do this as well in fairness, the amount of times something is about to happen on the field (e.g a team is just starting a counter attack and looking dangerous) and they cut to a shot of someone yawning on the bench, or togging off.

It's like the people behind the scenes haven't a clue about football. Why can't they just do a split screen of the action?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I think UEFA control the finals. They were hardly going to let TV3 do it last year :PAC:

Overall we as football fans get shafted on tv coverage compared to other sports.

I know Gary Neville gets a lot of plaudits and rightfully so but what he does on a Monday Night is done by the likes of Cris Collinsworth in the NFL after EVERY play. Each play is dissected in seconds.

There is also the problem that football fans are probably the most conservative sports fan around. Innovation and new ideas are frowned upon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Watched it on TV3, didn't see any of the build up to Torres' goal, by the time they switched the cameras back to the game he was already 1 on 1 with the keeper. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That_Guy wrote: »

I don't think an English channel can be expected to be impartial in this situation.

RTE aren't when Ireland play, nor when any of our LoI teams make progress in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

AdamD wrote: »
    Watched it on TV3, didn't see any of the build up to Torres' goal, by the time they switched the cameras back to the game he was already 1 on 1 with the keeper. Absolute joke.

Same feed for ITV.

Advertisement