Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crime pages Munster Express

Options
  • 16-05-2013 8:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Anyone see in the Munster that a Garda arrested a woman for intimidating-style begging and when brought to court, the judge gave her €400 from the poor box. Fair enough, that woman may have been poor and needed help. I feel sorry for the Garda, who was doing his job / working to the law only to have it thrown back in his face, how demotivated is that Garda. The judge deserves to be sacked in my opinion, so intimidation and begging are at a free-for-all now is it?

Does anyone have any faith in our justice system, i dont. Is it any wonder the country is a mess, anti social behaviour, drunkeness, rubbish and general no respect for the law out there.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

She may be poor but street begging is still against the law in Ireland, I'd agree that the judges actions were wrong. He should have instead referred her to St Vincent De Pauls or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Cabaal wrote: »
    She may be poor but street begging is still against the law in Ireland,

Doesnt seem to stop the Romas outside city square, arundel square and other places, they're there every day and the guards dont to do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

shockwave wrote: »
    Doesnt seem to stop the Romas outside city square, arundel square and other places, they're there every day and the guards dont to do anything about it.

this guard did and now thinks im sure, never again. i thought the law was there to be obeyed by all and not ignored at the whim of a judge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Judges are the referees of the judicial process, no consistency or logic often enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Max Powers wrote: »
    Anyone see in the Munster that a Garda arrested a woman for intimidating-style begging and when brought to court, the judge gave her €400 from the poor box. Fair enough, that woman may have been poor and needed help. I feel sorry for the Garda, who was doing his job / working to the law only to have it thrown back in his face, how demotivated is that Garda. The judge deserves to be sacked in my opinion, so intimidation and begging are at a free-for-all now is it?

Does anyone have any faith in our justice system, i dont. Is it any wonder the country is a mess, anti social behaviour, drunkeness, rubbish and general no respect for the law out there.

Absolutely crazy thing for the judge to do. That's some kick in the stones for the Guard in question. Between those beggars/junkies in your face and those ones from Concern or Amnesty you get fed up going up town on lunchtime. Not sure which are worse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Didnt even think the Munster Express was still going, it was an awful paper, very bland and dull layout and the same old writers spewing rubbish every week.

As for the judge thing, yeah that was pretty bad, if i were the Guard in question id be quite annoyed at that, it seems to be random as to what the judges dole out with regards sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

If the judge felt so sorry for the beggar, why didn't he give her his own money?

I'm sick to the teeth of people like that judge, showing us all how morally virtuous they are using other peoples' money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Judges live in ivory towers,

• Registered Users Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Didn't hear that, but it's yet another example of Judges living in their own worlds.

As for the begging, unless it is accompanied by harassment, intimidation or obstruction, is within 10 meters of an ATM, or within 10 meters of a shop entrance and the begging is likely to stop people going into that shop, it is not illegal.

So the beggars who sit there, shaking a cup and saying little to nothing, are legally begging.

Link

Advertisement